Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times

Advertisements

all i got from some posts here is that:

Sowell, a black man that's conservative is not a "respectable" academic or probably "respectable" period?

now that i think about it, any black man that is "conservative" is usual called an uncle tom, uncle ruckus, house n*****, self hater, fill in the blanks...

i can only assume that the someone like for example Dr. Ben Carson will be dubbed "The once respectable Ben Carson" if he gets more politically active with his conservative views

Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Do you know of any jurisdiction in this country where blacks moved in and school performance improved?
Yes.

In places where a rural, impoverished white population experienced economic growth, such growth attracting minorities while at the same time the economic prosperity increased investment in education.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes.

In places where a rural, impoverished white population experienced economic growth, such growth attracting minorities while at the same time the economic prosperity increased investment in education.
Names please. What this post is conjecture. Also the correlation between funding and academic performance has consistently shown to be weak.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Houston we have a problem.

This again?

Sowell selling bunkers?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Names please. What this post is conjecture. Also the correlation between funding and academic performance has consistently shown to be weak.
Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville). Rogers and Bentonville schools had no minorities up until the early 80's. A cursory review of the schools' performances would show progressive improvement over the past 3 decades, at a time when minorities have been flooding the school system.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Thomas Sowell was at one time a respectable academic who produced some interesting work. Sadly, he is now little more than a right-wing political hack. He conveniently ignores any facts that don't fit in with his conservative ideology and NEVER sees anything wrong with Republicans, capitalists, white people, the military, or the rich. And now he is buying into the extreme right-wing racial paranoia (The coming race war? Give me a break. That's Stormfront talk. )

And while he seems to know every misdeed by anonymous black criminals, he doesn't have anything good to say about how America's black middle-class has grown, the astounding number of black Americans in high political, business, artistic, and professional circles, the growing number of black kids in college, and of course, the watershed election of a black President. Twice.

To reiterate: He's an intellectually dishonest hack of the first magnitude, and if the right-wing Hoover Institution--home to several other doddering, out-of-touch Republicans--weren't paying him he probably couldn't make a living selling hot dogs on a street corner.

This is the Sowell I like.

Thomas Sowell - Culture Matters - YouTube

Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
And what are the "sides" is this so-called coming race war? The OP article seems to be talking about blacks vs whites?
So...12% of the population in all-out war vs 72% of the population, in which the larger side has an even more hugely disproportionate share of access to resources? Yeah, that's going to happen any day now!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
And what are the "sides" is this so-called coming race war? The OP article seems to be talking about blacks vs whites?
So...12% of the population in all-out war vs 72% of the population, in which the larger side has an even more hugely disproportionate share of access to resources? Yeah, that's going to happen any day now!
You're right, but blacks are now 'empowered' and delusional.

Watch what happens when their welfare gets cut.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville). Rogers and Bentonville schools had no minorities up until the early 80's. A cursory review of the schools' performances would show progressive improvement over the past 3 decades, at a time when minorities have been flooding the school system.
We're are talking Black people not minorities, stop hiding behind Asians.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Now you are basing your opinion on what? I would guess just opinion, nothing more. If he was a left winger would you feel the same way about him? I bet not. It never ceases to amaze me, how hard it is for the left to accept a black or a Hispanic conservative....
I have read dozens of Thomas Sowell's columns and several of his books. That is why I can say he USED to be a well-respected academic. In his early work he often put forth serious and intriguing ideas about race and economics. But they were conservative, they weren't crazy. Now he's just crazy, having left any pretense of academic objectivity behind. And I feel totally comfortable in saying that because I have the benefit of having read a lot of his writing.

Anyone who is predicting "a coming race war" is not conservative. He's off his rocker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies