Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
And what are the "sides" is this so-called coming race war? The OP article seems to be talking about blacks vs whites?
So...12% of the population in all-out war vs 72% of the population, in which the larger side has an even more hugely disproportionate share of access to resources? Yeah, that's going to happen any day now!
Yeah I think this where he's wrong. The battle will probably be between Northern and Southern Whites.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
We're are talking Black people not minorities, stop hiding behind Asians.
Okay. Um, you do realize that Rogers and Bentonville had ZERO blacks in the early 80's. And black people have moved to the area. As well as Asians, and Indians, and Hispanics.

You demanded to know an ANY (and I quote, ANY) areas where blacks moved in and school performance improved. You were provided with such an area.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I have read dozens of Thomas Sowell's columns and several of his books. That is why I can say he USED to be a well-respected academic. In his early work he often put forth serious and intriguing ideas about race and economics. But they were conservative, they weren't crazy. Now he's just crazy, having left any pretense of academic objectivity behind. And I feel totally comfortable in saying that because I have the benefit of having read a lot of his writing.

Anyone who is predicting "a coming race war" is not conservative. He's off his rocker.
Examples please. I suspect Sowell is much like Cosby. He started out with good intentions of uplifting his people but has become jaded by what he is seeing.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You're right, but blacks are now 'empowered' and delusional.

Watch what happens when their welfare gets cut.
And what are the whites receiving government assistance going to do?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Examples please. I suspect. Sowell is much like Cosby. He started out with good intentions of uplifting his people but has become jaded by what he is seeing.

Please stop bringing Bill Cosby into silly conservative/liberal and black issues. You know very well that black people love Bill Cosby. He is a frequent guest on black media outlets and he supports HBCUs and higher education for black Americans. He would never say that black people are out to start a "race war." AND he is a Democrat and is just as liberal as the majority of black people.

You know this Edward, I'm beginning to think you want to be a mini-Sowell dementia going on there lol!.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Okay. Um, you do realize that Rogers and Bentonville had ZERO blacks in the early 80's. And black people have moved to the area. As well as Asians, and Indians, and Hispanics.

You demanded to know an ANY (and I quote, ANY) areas where blacks moved in and school performance improved. You were provided with such an area.
Yes but no data to back it up. So are you suggesting that if a school district increases by one black student and the school improves the improvement is because of that one student? Disingenuous much?

Let be more clear. Show me a school district where Blacks moved in and the school district improved as a result of Blacks moving in. This would mean Blacks increased the test scores and other commonly accepted metric of school performance.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Sowell has had a long and respected career as an academic economist. The only thing that's changed is that liberals increasingly find his views to be incongruent with theirs. Note the lack of substantive criticism, and the name calling ("he's just crazy).

I hope that Sowell is wrong about the race war, since I am a little younger than him and would probably live to see it. But I don't doubt that we are flirting with it due to the elevation of identity politics, and liberal policies that put minorities under the government boot. Black unemployment rate at 12.9%. That is a godawful number
Are We Really Celebrating A Decline In Black Unemployment From 13.0% To 12.9%? - Forbes

Old 10-24-2013, 02:30 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Yes but no data to back it up. So are you suggesting that if a school district increases by one black student and the school improves the improvement is because of that one student? Disingenuous much?

Let be more clear. Show me a school district where Blacks moved in and the school district improved as a result of Blacks moving in. This would mean Blacks increased the test scores and other commonly accepted metric of school performance.
Why are you moving the goal post?

He gave you what you wanted. You asked for a school that increased in performance after blacks moved into the neighborhood.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Please stop bringing Bill Cosby into silly conservative/liberal and black issues. You know very well that black people love Bill Cosby. He is a frequent guest on black media outlets and he supports HBCUs and higher education for black Americans. He would never say that black people are out to start a "race war." AND he is a Democrat and is just as liberal as the majority of black people.

You know this Edward, I'm beginning to think you want to be a mini-Sowell dementia going on there lol!.
I don't think Sowell said Black folks are out to start a race war either. Name calling isn't reasoning. You'll find that out at whatever B-school you decide to attend.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Why are you moving the goal post?

He gave you the data you wanted. You asked for a school that increased in performance after blacks moved into the neighborhood.
He gave me know data he mentioned a district with a black population of 3% lol. I didn't move anything I clarified. The context of the discussion is in the passage I quoted where Sowell cites bigot Paul Kerseys claim that when Blacks move into cities like Detroit the cities collapse.

Citing a school district where Blacks make up 3% of pop isn't refuting that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies