Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:36 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
all i got from some posts here is that:

Sowell, a black man that's conservative is not a "respectable" academic or probably "respectable" period?

now that i think about it, any black man that is "conservative" is usual called an uncle tom, uncle ruckus, house n*****, self hater, fill in the blanks...

i can only assume that the someone like for example Dr. Ben Carson will be dubbed "The once respectable Ben Carson" if he gets more politically active with his conservative views
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Now you are basing your opinion on what? I would guess just opinion, nothing more. If he was a left winger would you feel the same way about him? I bet not. It never ceases to amaze me, how hard it is for the left to accept a black or a Hispanic conservative....

In regards to the posters above, if you have read any of Sowell's past work or known of his ideologies, you would know that he has always been a conservative black person. Contrary to what you believe, black people don't automatically dislike black conservatives. Sowell was well respected prior to becoming heavily involved in extreme right wing publications, which is when he started alluding to idiocies such as "race wars."

Like another poster mentioned, black people are 12% of the population....why in the h e l l would we want to start a race war? That is just stupid!

In regards to Ben Carson, I have known for a while that he is conservative as well and I also have a lot of respect for him because he does a lot in regards to education for under-privileged youth, especially black and Hispanics. I didn't care about him speaking ill of Obama during that prayer breakfast or any other things he said about Obama and neither did most black people. Now when he said that "Obamacare is worse than slavery" that is when you will start to get eyerolls because that is just ridiculous. Go see "12 Years a Slave" and tell me whether or not you would want to go through that or get Obamacare lol.

Most black people can even stomach Herman Cain. He is funny. He says some silly things about black people - like we couldn't afford to go to Tea Party rallies when he was running for president and had a rally in downtown Atlanta lol. I didn't go even though I could afford to walk a block to the park it was in lol. But I don't think negatively of him. He had some sound ideas in regards to the economy and he has great business sense, just like Ben Carson is a great cardiologist. Both of them are still good at what they do. Sowell was a great black, conservative mind in regards to the issue of race in America. Currently, he has not been producing the quality of work that he did in the past. Maybe he needs to do like Carson and Cain and retire before he ruins his reputation.

But FWIW, many consider me to be conservative, I don't think I am but I don't hold the stereotypical political views on many issues that are assigned to black Americans. I have been jokingly called a "black Republican" and I would seriously consider being a Republican if the party condemned idiotic remarks like black are looking to start a race war, or all of us being on a "plantation", or various other racially charged generalizations. They are also too religious for me. I haven't had any problems with black democrats. Black people like and respect Condi Rice, Colin Powell, Bill Cosby (even though he is a staunch Democrat so I don't know why people keep trying to act like he is not), Ben Carson, 50 Cent (who is a registered republican), Michael Steele, and various other black people who have expressed conservative views.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He gave me know data he mentioned a district with a black population of 3% lol. I didn't move anything I clarified. The context of the discussion is in the passage I quoted where Sowell cites bigot Paul Kerseys claim that when Blacks move into cities like Detroit the cities collapse.

Citing a school district where Blacks make up 3% of pop isn't refuting that point.
The performance increased when blacks moved in.

You didn't clarify, you simply reworded your question because the answer didn't support your racism.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Yes but no data to back it up. So are you suggesting that if a school district increases by one black student and the school improves the improvement is because of that one student? Disingenuous much?

Let be more clear. Show me a school district where Blacks moved in and the school district improved as a result of Blacks moving in. This would mean Blacks increased the test scores and other commonly accepted metric of school performance.
Moving the goal posts?

I never argued that black students improve the school district. So don't say that I did. It's dishonest.

You asked if there were ANY school districts that improved after black students moved in to the district.

I pointed out that school districts often improve when they have more resources. For instance, when the economy of the area funding the school district booms, then the school district will have more resources and often will show improvement. And because the economy is booming, people of all races will move to the area. And the fact that people of various races are moving in is a minor factor. The dominant factor is the district's greater wealth.

You then demanded a specific example of such a situation. I provided you with one.

Now you are searching for a way out. First you tried the gambit of suggesting that it wasn't black people moving in, but Asians. When I pointed out that black people did indeed move in, along with other minority groups, you are now trying to move the goalposts.

Sorry, but you don't get to do that. The point you were trying to make was that, in your opinion, black students inevitably drive down average test scores. That's untrue. And you can't then try to back your way out of your argument by trying to foist the argument that black students drive up average test scores onto me. I have no obligation to argue such a thing. My only obligation is to show, clearly and unequivocally, that your argument was false. I have done so, by providing you with a real-world example where your argument is demonstrably false.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
We're are talking Black people not minorities, stop hiding behind Asians.
Are you saying that people will be using asians as human shields during the coming all-out race war?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Sorry denunciation is not reasoning any actual facts to argue his point?
He didn't have any actual facts to back up his own thesis and title of "black mobs and the coming race war." LOL That is why I stated that I feel he is getting dementia. His new "conservative" commentary is much less...thought filled and is just a regurgitation of right wing, racial talking points.

Quote:
I don't think Sowell said Black folks are out to start a race war either. Name calling isn't reasoning. You'll find that out at whatever B-school you decide to attend.
The title is "black mobs and the coming race war." Then the article goes on to describe so-called "black mobs" and how they target white people. So that is exactly what he was saying.

And FWIW, I was being playful in regards to mentioning you and dementia in regards to your pairing Sowell with Cosby, they are TOTALLY different. Also, dementia is not name calling, it is a disease lol.

And still haven't decided. Actually still weighing pros and cons, not sure if I want to take a couple years of my life and up-end my family, these things have to be thought out and I'm not applying until next year for fall 2015 anyway.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Moving the goal posts?

I never argued that black students improve the school district. So don't say that I did. It's dishonest.

You asked if there were ANY school districts that improved after black students moved in to the district.

I pointed out that school districts often improve when they have more resources. For instance, when the economy of the area funding the school district booms, then the school district will have more resources and often will show improvement. And because the economy is booming, people of all races will move to the area. And the fact that people of various races are moving in is a minor factor. The dominant factor is the district's greater wealth.

You then demanded a specific example of such a situation. I provided you with one.

Now you are searching for a way out. First you tried the gambit of suggesting that it wasn't black people moving in, but Asians. When I pointed out that black people did indeed move in, along with other minority groups, you are now trying to move the goalposts.

Sorry, but you don't get to do that. The point you were trying to make was that, in your opinion, black students inevitably drive down average test scores. That's untrue. And you can't then try to back your way out of your argument by trying to foist the argument that black students drive up average test scores onto me. I have no obligation to argue such a thing. My only obligation is to show, clearly and unequivocally, that your argument was false. I have done so, by providing you with a real-world example where your argument is demonstrably false.
Lol you've just made my point. You cited districts where the movement of Blacks was so small as to have no impact on average scores one way or the other. You were trying to be slick, but alas I'm to the right on the IQ curve. Try again next time.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Thomas Sowell was at one time a respectable academic who produced some interesting work. Sadly, he is now little more than a right-wing political hack. He conveniently ignores any facts that don't fit in with his conservative ideology and NEVER sees anything wrong with Republicans, capitalists, white people, the military, or the rich. And now he is buying into the extreme right-wing racial paranoia (The coming race war? Give me a break. That's Stormfront talk. )

And while he seems to know every misdeed by anonymous black criminals, he doesn't have anything good to say about how America's black middle-class has grown, the astounding number of black Americans in high political, business, artistic, and professional circles, the growing number of black kids in college, and of course, the watershed election of a black President. Twice.

To reiterate: He's an intellectually dishonest hack of the first magnitude, and if the right-wing Hoover Institution--home to several other doddering, out-of-touch Republicans--weren't paying him he probably couldn't make a living selling hot dogs on a street corner.
And you never vote for Democrats and aren't biased in any way, right?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Lol you've just made my point. You cited districts where the movement of Blacks was so small as to have no impact on average scores one way or the other. You were trying to be slick, but alas I'm to the right on the IQ curve. Try again next time.
LOL.

You asked for a school district that improved AFTER black students came to the district.

You were provided with one.

No slickness involved.

And IQ curve???? WTH?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
but alas I'm to the right on the IQ curve.
Sure.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Yeah I think this where he's wrong. The battle will probably be between Northern and Southern Whites.
Well, now I don't understand this thread at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies