Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So don't. It's easy to set up your W2 forms with your employer, so that they never take out quite enough from each paycheck, and you owe a small amount on April 15 every year. Your paychecks will be bigger, too.
I never get a refund. I plan it that way. I will NOT "loan" the gov't. money interest free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
It doesn't always work that way for everyone. Some people have a lot of deductions for children, mortgages, and other things. And if your income is lower AND you have these deductions, you probably will get a refund, in which case there's where your penalty comes from.
You can change your deductions and figure out how NOT to get a refund.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why do you call it a loophole? It is the way the law was written which EVERY member of Congress read before they voted for it.
Except for the fact that no member of Congress read the legislation before they voted on it. Or have you forgotten Pelosi's infamous quote, "We have to pass the bill to know what is in it."

Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Do you own property? How about a bank account? All things that can be seized for back taxes.
No, I do not own property. What, are they going to take my 2004 Kia that doesn't even run? Oh noes!

Bank account....my money doesn't go in to my account until I want it to go in there....and when it does, it is immediately used for bills. However, I can easily pay my bills other ways, without using a bank account.

As for back taxes, I pay my taxes. I don't get a refund. I will owe nothing.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Im surprised you dont carry Health insurance? But I can see why paying a tax for not having heath care insurance is not big on your list of things to do.

But yes you dont have to sign up. ACA is a law which allows Americans access and choice to heath care insurance.
You know, I had a choice in healthcare BEFORE the ACA. And it cost less. Now? Nope. So no, I will not sign up to have someone steal from me.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It's true. It'll be more costly when the fine grows. Like most folks that don't pay their taxes, the fine will grow, and you'll eventually pay your back taxes. They'll put a lien on your house.
No, they are not allowed to put a lien on your house. They can only deduct the fine from your tax refund, and if you don't get a refund (simple to arrange) they have zero enforcement powers.
The Obamacare Penalty: Yes, It Can Be Avoided - Yahoo Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo
We asked Mark Luscombe, principal analyst at CCH Tax & Accounting North America, about that. Turns out Limbaugh is essentially right....
“If you don’t pay it, all they can do is wait until they owe you some money and take that. Or probably just send you a letter every now and then reminding you that you owe money to the IRS,” says Timothy Jost, a professor at the Washington and Lee University School of Law and coauthor of the casebook “Health Law.”.... .
The law also prohibits the IRS from using liens or levies

The amazing thing is that this was passed over three years ago, has been fully in operation for almost a month, and yet still very few people understand anything about what the legislation does.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

The amazing thing is that this was passed over three years ago, has been fully in operation for almost a month, and yet still very few people understand anything about what the legislation does.
This part:

Quote:
The law also prohibits the IRS from using liens or levies to collect any “payment you owe related to the law, if you, your spouse or a dependent included on your tax return does not have minimum essential coverage,” according to the IRS. That means the IRS cannot go into someone’s “checking accounts anyway and just take the money,” as one of Limbaugh’s callers suggested the Obama administration might just do.
Since when does the IRS follow the law?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Except for the fact that no member of Congress read the legislation before they voted on it. Or have you forgotten Pelosi's infamous quote, "We have to pass the bill to know what is in it."
" Or have you forgotten Pelosi's infamous quote,..." I was being sarcastic.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:41 AM

43 posts, read 75,535 times
What IRS has mentioned at if any individual is under tax debt, it can recover it through wage garnishment, tax lien or tax levy. IRS has been provided with such huge powers by the government that nobody has the power to over rule it. If a particular person is not in the state of giving tax amount, IRS can exempt him for such time until his monetary stability comes to normal it may be the period of more than five years.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:50 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
'Saw this link on Drudge, and it's from Rush.... according to his tax accountant, the IRS cannot garnish wages, issue a lien, take property, etc., to collect the fines for not having insurance. I suppose the law was written this way so as not to 'disturb' the people who can't afford it to begin with. The problem is, according to the code, is that they can only take the money if you are owed a tax refund. ?? Is this a loophole?

Opt-Out Obamacare Penalty Can't Be Enforced -- Unless You Get a Tax Refund - The Rush Limbaugh Show
This is nothing new. This has been known since the passage of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies