Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Stores Be Open On Thanksgiving Day?
Yes 23 43.40%
No 30 56.60%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Please sign this online petition:

Most department stores decided to open at 8 PM on Thanksgiving evening in order to compete, and now Simon malls decided to keep their malls open at 8 pm as well all until 10 pm on Black Friday for 26 hours straight, and told all retail stores located in the mall to follow mall holiday hours.

Wow what an evil world we have been turned into. I would be fine if CEO's and corporates left their families on important holidays and worked in the stores themselves that day. Such a greedy, cold hearted and selfish!

I hope that everyone contacts their local congressman to pass a law that forbids retailers to be open on major family holidays!!!!!! Unfortunately online petitions don't work because corporates ignore them despite hundreds of thousands of signatures mainly from workers!

May God destroy and punish greedy corporates!!
Yet another wannabe liberal fascist speaks out!

Obviously the OP has watched one too many Captain Planet cartoons.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-26-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The men have sat around drinking beer all day watching football and ate turkey and passed out on the couch what are the girls supposed to do? Watch their husbands snoor with drool all over their face or go shopping
Don't you know they have to clean up after the meal? Wash dishes, put leftovers away, make coffee, bring out the desserts and this after getting up at five in the morning to start cooking.
Thanksgiving is always such a joy. Men like it because they get to eat turkey, drink beer and watch football.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Don't you know they have to clean up after the meal? Wash dishes, put leftovers away, make coffee, bring out the desserts and this after getting up at five in the morning to start cooking.
Thanksgiving is always such a joy. Men like it because they get to eat turkey, drink beer and watch football.

Thanksgiving is the one day of the year when gluttony is not considered a vice.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Don't like it? Don't go. Does it bother me when people are at Walmart? Nope. I prefer they not be there, when I am.

If their employees don't like it, take a day off, or quit and find another job.

Just that simple. I worked on call rotation through Christmas and thanksgiving. Deal

Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,247 times
I worked on Thanksgiving day.... way back in 1987!!!

It's not a new idea, and I was happy to get the hours as a new employee.

Let's see, work Thanksgiving day into Black Friday, earn a little bit extra before the holidays and I'm able to afford a nice present for my kids..... Yes Please!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I worked on Thanksgiving day.... way back in 1987!!!

It's not a new idea, and I was happy to get the hours as a new employee.

Let's see, work Thanksgiving day into Black Friday, earn a little bit extra before the holidays and I'm able to afford a nice present for my kids..... Yes Please!
You mean those EVIL corporations actually paid you for your labor? OH MY GAWD!

It must have been a fluke.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
I am signing it as we speak and sent it out via my twitter and facebook accounts.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Please sign this online petition:

Most department stores decided to open at 8 PM on Thanksgiving evening in order to compete, and now Simon malls decided to keep their malls open at 8 pm as well all until 10 pm on Black Friday for 26 hours straight, and told all retail stores located in the mall to follow mall holiday hours.

Wow what an evil world we have been turned into. I would be fine if CEO's and corporates left their families on important holidays and worked in the stores themselves that day. Such a greedy, cold hearted and selfish!

I hope that everyone contacts their local congressman to pass a law that forbids retailers to be open on major family holidays!!!!!! Unfortunately online petitions don't work because corporates ignore them despite hundreds of thousands of signatures mainly from workers!

Gahh greedy corporates! Isn't 362 days a year enough?!
I will absolutely NOT sign a petition or contact a congress critter to make such a law. If the business wants to run their business that way, that is their decision. The government has NO say in it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-26-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 PM

124 posts, read 122,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am signing it as we speak and sent it out via my twitter and facebook accounts.

Thanks for being good hearted

Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 PM

124 posts, read 122,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You mean those EVIL corporations actually paid you for your labor? OH MY GAWD!

It must have been a fluke.
They should pay holidays off work or just keep stores closed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies