Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Stores Be Open On Thanksgiving Day?
Yes 23 43.40%
No 30 56.60%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 PM

124 posts, read 122,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
HAHAHAHA............you would definitely change your mind if you spent a single Thanksgiving with some of those in my family.

I used to volunteer to work the holidays so I would not have to deal with most of my family on Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.
What you do does not represent most Americans...

What a miserable life...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 PM

124 posts, read 122,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
No one is making Americans shop on Thanksgiving. If the shops are busy then your claim is invalid.
Employees are forced to work !

Unfortunately there will always be shoppers because everybody wants to be first on line to get the best deal.
Soon Thanksgiving will be another full retail day :/

Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Kohls is paying double time. They hire temporary staff for Oct-Dec and Thanksgiving is part of the deal.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:

Unfortunately there will always be shoppers because everybody wants to be first on line to get the best deal.
Soon Thanksgiving will be another full retail day :/
Employees are not forced to work. We have laws protecting employees from forced labor.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Employees are not forced to do anything. They especially aren't forced to take a job that they know they will be working on thanksgiving. And if they just took that job recently they can pretty much guarantee they will be among those who will be working that day.
If it is so important for them to not work that day they could have taken a type of job that doesn't require work on Thanksgiving day. Plenty of them out there. Or they could ask in advance for the day off. Many businesses would be accommodating. Especially if it is someone who has been with them awhile. Seniority usually rules when asking for those days off. However, many would actually prefer working that day because of the extra pay that usually comes along with it.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados
May God destroy and punish greedy corporates!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
There is an easy answer. People need to stop being so materialistic and spend the holiday with their families. If people didn't go shopping on those days they wouldn't do it so to blame corporations is lame.

Not one person in my family shops those days how about yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Who died and made you king??

MYOB
Did you bother reading the post I was responding to. One minute liberals complain about corporate greed and I respond don't shop and they won't open on holidays the next I'm asked who died and made me king

You see if you would stay home on holidays and not go shopping then they won't open the stores on holidays. It's that easy.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-25-2013 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
I never do, but that has more to do with passing out in a turkey coma.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Employees are not forced to do anything. They especially aren't forced to take a job that they know they will be working on thanksgiving. And if they just took that job recently they can pretty much guarantee they will be among those who will be working that day.
If it is so important for them to not work that day they could have taken a type of job that doesn't require work on Thanksgiving day. Plenty of them out there. Or they could ask in advance for the day off. Many businesses would be accommodating. Especially if it is someone who has been with them awhile. Seniority usually rules when asking for those days off. However, many would actually prefer working that day because of the extra pay that usually comes along with it.
It's why I decided early on that a career in retail was NOT something I wanted to do. Working nights, weekends, and holidays sucks IMO, so I have worked either in education or administration my entire adult life ... M-F within the hours of 8 and 5.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Please sign this online petition:

Most department stores decided to open at 8 PM on Thanksgiving evening in order to compete, and now Simon malls decided to keep their malls open at 8 pm as well all until 10 pm on Black Friday for 26 hours straight, and told all retail stores located in the mall to follow mall holiday hours.

Wow what an evil world we have been turned into. I would be fine if CEO's and corporates left their families on important holidays and worked in the stores themselves that day. Such a greedy, cold hearted and selfish!

I hope that everyone contacts their local congressman to pass a law that forbids retailers to be open on major family holidays!!!!!! Unfortunately online petitions don't work because corporates ignore them despite hundreds of thousands of signatures mainly from workers!

Gahh greedy corporates! Isn't 362 days a year enough?!

OP! I understand your disdain for greed. But why waste time with a petition in trying to legislate nanny state laws and telling businesses when they can and cannot operate? I look at it this way. I have no plans to shop the night before Thanksgiving. Nor do I plan to do so on Black Friday. However; if people are dumb enough to give up their family time, or their time off after the holiday and either camp out in front of a store, and depending on where they live. stand out in the cold, then deal with a mob of idiots just to get a deal on the latest flat screen tv, then rock on!!!! I won't be part of it, and I think it's silly. But we don't need to make silly laws telling businesses when they can and cannot operate.

Furthermore, you don't think that the morons who stand in the cold for hours camping out waiting to bum rush the retail store the minute the doors open to save a few bucks, aren't selfish or greedy either?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-26-2013 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Shame on you! Most Americans do not want to shop or work on Thanksgiving.
If people didn't want to shop, the stores would be closed. Since people DO want to shop, the stores are open.
Don't like it? Open your own business, and give everyone a paid day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies