U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best way to fix healthcare.gov?
Throw in "A-Team" 2 5.26%
Scrap it with single payer 14 36.84%
Blame Bush 12 31.58%
Sue CGI until they fix it 5 13.16%
Pie 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 AM

20,003 posts, read 16,592,066 times

Advertisements

Choose wisely...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 06:31 AM

73,527 posts, read 39,187,902 times
CGI is the company who was paid top dollar to deliver, and they didn't, so they need to fix asap. They are blaming everyone but themselves for the issues, even the testers. I have worked in IT for 24 years, and seen all kinds of blame game, but never to this extent.

It's like if someone paid me to design and build a sports car with fancy doors, and the day I deliver it, the doors fall off, and the best I can do is to blame the customer for ordering such doors. Come on now.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
CGI is the company who was paid top dollar to deliver, and they didn't, so they need to fix asap. They are blaming everyone but themselves for the issues, even the testers. I have worked in IT for 24 years, and seen all kinds of blame game, but never to this extent.
Did the government breach the agreement in terms of acceptance testing? Did the government change requirements radically before launch? I think the answer to both of these is yes, so the problem is more complicated.

Quote:
It's like if someone paid me to design and build a sports car with fancy doors, and the day I deliver it, the doors fall off, and the best I can do is to blame the customer for ordering such doors. Come on now.
Do they tell you to change the design of the doors and body right before the assembly line software responsible for building them is finished? Are the test drivers (aka clients) absent or incompetent?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,841,835 times
I do wonder to what extent CGI was vetted before they were awarded the bid.

Based on historical data, I rarely have any faith in our government to "get things right", so the fact that this is a massive debacle is hardly shocking to me.

The real question is: Does CGI possess the competence to actually fix things? I certainly don't trust the Obama Administration to tell the truth about who is at fault here, but I also think that bringing in the A-team might be the only alternative. Somebody better spring Murdock from the mental institution.....

Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 AM

69,360 posts, read 58,419,145 times
Quote:
I'm willing to bet the design of the website was mandated by the government, who said that the website needed to integrate with dozens upon dozens of other computer servers and programs, rather than having them all integrate and pull data from databases..
Quote:
No, this would be like someone paying you to build a sports car which will be attached to a freight train, and then acting all shocked that the sports car doesnt move.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:57 AM

33,415 posts, read 29,455,207 times
what needs to happen is the government needs to hire someone who will create a proper website, and sue CGI for their disaster of a website.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:04 AM

73,527 posts, read 39,187,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Did the government breach the agreement in terms of acceptance testing? Did the government change requirements radically before launch? I think the answer to both of these is yes, so the problem is more complicated.
Why don't you send the agreement text, so we can review it. Typically the paying customers can make changes and requests, and as a matter of fact I have never seen an IT project which did not undergo changes during the project, but I have never heard that called a "breach is agreement". If it was a breach of agreement, then why did the contractor agree to do it? Once again, this is the contractor blaming the customer for the failure, which is borderline absurd. Again, I have been doing this for 24 years.

I know this is embarrassing for both sides with the whole nation watching, and the president and cabinet members having to explain the problems, but this company screwed up royally. A good project lead is tough with the customers and will tell them the truth about what can and cannot be done when changes are requested. I have never seen this kind of refusal to take responsibility. Never.

Quote:
No, this would be like someone paying you to build a sports car which will be attached to a freight train, and then acting all shocked that the sports car doesnt move.
A professional would identify the issues during the design phase and tell the customer what can, and cannot be done. This is BASIC. I get amazing requests all the time, and as an IT pro, I tell the customers what can and cannot be done. The company who took the ACA Web site project did not do that. They took the project, and the money, and delivered garbage and then try to blame the problems on the customer. It's absurd.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-25-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what needs to happen is the government needs to hire someone who will create a proper website, and sue CGI for their disaster of a website.
Make sure you sue after you get a new contract. I don't think many companies will want the gig if you sue before, given the last minute shifting requirements and absence of end user testing resources.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 AM

12,638 posts, read 7,867,453 times
The obvious answer to any problem liberals face is easy: blame Bush.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM

17,120 posts, read 12,371,245 times
I'm still trying to figure out why it wasn't an American company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies