Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oh for gods sakes just stop. millions of people are not being cancelled because they were being diagnosticed with excluded conditions, especially given that the ACA makes pre-existing conditions ILLEGAL to discriminate.

So what you're admitting is plans that people dont want, and dont need, are being forced down the consumers throat, at prices they cant afford, and still insurers are opting out because the reinbursement, even though its A LOT HIGHER, wont cover the new expenses..

How the hell is this a drop in cost like Obama said would take place?
I have not heard of anyone who does not want to cap their annual out of pocket costs, not be cancelled if they get a nasty diagnosis and the elimination of the lifetime cap. Many object to the cost.
I can appreciate this.

Healthcare insurance costs increased by 7.5% each year between 2000-2010 and it had all to do with the free market and not ACA. That's a 90% increase in a 10 year period. Healthcare is approaching 20% of GDP. Only in America.

Some people's costs have reduced. If I were in need of an individual policy, my costs would be 35-50% less than pre ACA for richer benefits. It is 50% higher than the same plan for a 25 year old. I assume this may be because I live in an area with competitive healthcare. There are 6 insurers and 350 plans in my state. I can and do appreciate that mileage varies, especially in rural areas lacking competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The cost of healthcare insurance has increased by about 7.5% each year since 2000. That's a 90% increase for the period of 2000-2010. Kaiser Institute reports that employee contributions to their employers' group healthcare plans have increased about 89% during that same period. And non of this has anything to do with the ACA.
Obamacare was sold to the people as a plan to CUT costs, not the status quo of increasing premiums.
Quote:
This is the U.S. free market at work.
This is NOT the free market at work, its fascism, you need to really stop using words you dont know the meaning to.
Quote:
The rest of the developed word pays a fraction of U.S. healthcare costs because those government are substantially more involved in healthcare than it is in the U.S.
Bull, the us government already dictates the UCR, and ICD, and they already pay a lion share of the medical claims..

Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
He sure in hell didnt mind "knowing" that costs would drop 3,000%, which is what he told everyone.. or that you could keep your doctor, or your insurance company..

Did he?
These are quotes from 2009.

No price can drop 3000%.

As for the rest, I hold with the position that he believed what he said at the time. The law was no where near finalized at that time. I can think of no reason for any president to lie, given it will come back in prime time to haunt him. There is no upside.

No one with any knowledge of how insurance works, can promise that anyone will be able to keep a plan or an MD, with or without ACA. Medical practices and hospitals opt in and out of PPO arrangements all the time. Plans continuously change.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
We all pay a premium for goods because of shoplifting.
Yes, and we all paid a premium for those who were uninsured.. But you didnt answer the question, would you like to pay a TAX to walk INTO a store, to cover those shoplifting?
Quote:
Last I checked, people were not dying in the streets of Germany or Switzerland.
They arent here either.. stop being ridiculous.
Quote:
A standard baseline for all healthcare insurance is dumb?

Last I checked the individual market, there were 4 plans, bronze, silver, gold and platinum.
And before Obamacare, how many plans were there? So you got rid of hundreds, if not thousands of plans, to consolidate down to 4, and didnt expect the cost to increase due to the increased "standards"?

Thats pretty dumb

Old 10-26-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
These are quotes from 2009.
So using them in 2013, to defend changes is rather dumb then..
Quote:
No price can drop 3000%.
But thats exactly what Obama said would happen..
Quote:
As for the rest, I hold with the position that he believed what he said at the time. The law was no where near finalized at that time. I can think of no reason for any president to lie, given it will come back in prime time to haunt him. There is no upside.
So the President believed premiums would fall 3,000?
Quote:
No one with any knowledge of how insurance works, can promise that anyone will be able to keep a plan or an MD, with or without ACA. Medical practices and hospitals opt in and out of PPO arrangements all the time. Plans continuously change.
So you admit Obama knew absolutely nothing about how insurance works, but applauded him for lying and pretending he was an expert..

Old 10-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Middle aged mom stop and get your face out of Obamas ass. Not everyone wants to be dictated to and not everyone needs the governments heavy hand to force other people to pay for them.
Alrighty then, advocate for the repeal of the law that mandates most ERs to stabilize anyone who walks through their doors, regardless of their ability to pay, unless they are insured or can pay.

The EMTALA law is substantially heavy -handed and is now 27 years old. Who do you think pays when the patient can/will not?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Repealing ACA in exchange for raising the debt ceiling was a non-starter.

40-50 prior attempts to repeal ACA without offering an alternative is not bargaining in good faith.
Why exactly did the Republicans need to bargain in good faith, considering the rules were violated to pass, not one Republican had input, and NOT ONE VOTED FOR IT..

Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Prior to ACA ALL insurance companies had to comply with the Insurance Commissioner's requirements.

If you don't like what your local Insurance Commissioner does, you can go to your LOCAL politicians and get changes made.
Each state makes political appointments to their insurance commission. There are 50 different commissions with 50 different laws.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Alrighty then, advocate for the repeal of the law that mandates most ERs to stabilize anyone who walks through their doors, regardless of their ability to pay, unless they are insured or can pay.

The EMTALA law is substantially heavy -handed and is now 27 years old. Who do you think pays when the patient can/will not?
The same people who will pay now.. meaning Obamacare FIXED NOTHING...

Old 10-26-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Each state makes political appointments to their insurance commission. There are 50 different commissions with 50 different laws.
Not any more.. you just admitted there are now 4 standard plans, dictated by the federal government.

So what if there were 50 different commissions with 50 different laws. we have 50 different laws in regards to driving, welfare, minimum wage, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies