Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Whats weird is these are the same people who wined that $6 a month birth control needed to be covered because people couldnt afford it, but now all of a sudden they have $6k a year to pay for deductibles..

And they arent even embarassed by their position, thats what sad..

What birth control costs only 6$ a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 11:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I was JUST about to post something similar. I have never seen someone so vehemently defend that which even other members of their own party can admit is a colossal failure. It is truly astounding.
I have no, zero, zip, nada party affiliation. I tend to vote against candidates than for candidates.

How many here have so vehemently attacked other posters for differences in perspectives?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's worked in the rest of the developed world.

Having said this, ACA is not universal healthcare/socialized medicine.
You are just making things up again. The reason its so less expensive in other nations is because we have far higher incomes than most of the developed world.

Are you suggesting we collapse our economy to lower medical costs?

Why Are U.S. Health Care Costs So High? - Forbes

I guess Obamacare will indeed do that, as it moves the nation to a bunch of part timers..

Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What birth control costs only 6$ a month?
$9: Price for a Month's Supply of Birth Control Pills at Target 3 Miles from Georgetown Law | CNS News

Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Would you approve of a law which says that you must pay a $5 tax in order to walk into a store, in order to help subsidize shoplifters? Somehow I doubt you would..

Who pays for Medicaid?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Who pays for Medicaid?
The taxpayers of course.. whats your point? You said obamacare reduces medicaid, thus lowers the demand on taxpayers, but its the exact opposite.. Hundreds of billions of dollars in NEW medicaid spending is going into Obamacare PER STATE..

Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Bullhockey! Insurance companies dictate to doctors what to do, when to do it, and why. They even tell a doctor how many patients must be treated which leads to shorter consultation times.

Insurance companies rule the health industry. Long gone are the days when doctor knew best.

A good 30 years ago I knew a woman who had a double mastectomy. The hospital sent her home on the second day because that's all the insurance company wanted to pay for.

Absolutely disgraceful!

Didn't president Clinton outlaw the too soon release of mastectomy patients?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
What is your obsession on a program that you admit doesn't even effect you? Are you an Obama volunteer? A paid blogger?

Healthcare/Medicare is my thing. I have no loyalty to any political party or Obama. I wish someone would pay me to post here.

How about let the people who have paid their own insurance for years explain why it worked for them?
We are all free to post and read what we want. Those unencumbered by partisanship can and do learn from all other posters.

Not every self employed person couldn't afford insurance. They chose a different way of insuring that covered the catastrophes while accumulating money via HSAs that could be used as a retirement vehicle down the road. The elimination of these policies via the ACA is what is aggravating.
I have no knowledge that ACA eliminated HSAs. Did I miss something?

Obamacare is just a handout to the insurance and IT industries. The subsidy goes to,the company, not the consumer. Subsidizing a HSA would be smarter in the long term as the average amount of healthcare dollars spent per consumer is less than 2K a year. The left over money can earn interest and be carried over from year to year, eventually used for a Medicare supplement or retirement costs. This policy will help people financially for the long term, Obamacare just pays the insurance company.

This is the anger towards the new plans under ACA. They are not the best choice for those who are unsubsidized or for those who have some intelligence in financial matters.
A statistically insignificant percentage of the U.S. population has participated in the 2003 HSA federal tax shelter. As I understand it, about 4.5 million people maintain HSAs. Of this, only about 1 million do so independent of their employers.

HSAs survived the ACA with some changes. ACA increased the annual cap of money one may temporarily shelter from federal taxes for purposes of future medical expenses. ACA lowered the max on FSA, making contributions to an HSA more attractive to those who can afford them. ACA also allowed HSA withdrawals for preventative health care that was previously not possible.

In contrast, ACA increased the previous penalty for non medical withdrawals and as I understand it, did so because such accounts were being used to shelter income more so than to save towards future medical expenses.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is this just price fixing in an industry?

Price fixing is highly illegal.
Healthcare providers were and remain free to compete. That the big box healthcare systems have been building their brands to squash or acquire the competition is how the free market works.

Private insurers and healthcare are free to compete for business on a level playing field.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
With the massive level of ignorance about health insurance, it is no wonder the democrats managed to pull off what they pulled off.

NO INSUROR in the past 100 years could single out a specific insured for cancellation of health insurance, particularly based on claims history. I need to stop reading this thread now. I'm afraid of viral stupidity. Is it malice or ignorance to pretend that every aspect of what we had was abusive? Did you know that insurance has been regulated for a century or more?
I am very aware that insurance is regulated at the state level by political appointments and crony capitalism. I am also aware that no two states have the same laws. What's law in your state may not be in the next state. Generally speaking:

Individual policies have excluded specific medical conditions. Acquire one of those conditions and the insurer is free to drop you at the point of renewal, unless mandated by the state.

Individual policies all contained lifetime caps. Hit your cap and the insurer will drop you like the proverbial hot potato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies