Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Have you ever heard of catastrophic policies? Anyone with the "farm" to risk, wouldnt go without one..

Tell me how people who have their hours cut to 29 a week, and have their policies cancelled, can afford an extra $6k a year?

Have you ever been to a hospital? What do you think will happen when MOST people dont pay their $6K deductible? Where will that money come from?

So you're blaming the ACA for bad employers who won't even insure their workers? Poor employees. Victims of the government. Surely the employers who never insured them and cut their hours to 29 to avoid having to are victims as well!

If your argument is that employers can't afford to insure their workers, that sounds like an argument for government health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
All insurers must provide the basic coverage.....except for low-dollar preventive stuff, only after HUGE deductibles and HUGE copays and HUGE out-of-pocket damage. I'm looking at actual ACA-compliant policies, comparing what I can get to what I had, and I'm telling you, when the majority of the public catches on they are going to be pissed.

Those covered by employer plans or government plans will also blame every future perceived shortfall to the ACA, in addition to those of us in the individual insurance market who are getting hammered right off the bat, unless we are the subsidy-eligible, not of much value to the rest of society types. I think the Dems are headed for a disaster that will unfold over years, not days or weeks--and fixing the website is not going to help them.

either all insurers are required to provide minimun coverage requirements, or not? Are you disputing that?

If you would like to discuss your policy and your dedutibles and co pays...we can do that. But you can only speak to your situation. Your generalizations of higher deductibles and co pays is what you beleive is happeining...and is not valid to the topic.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What exatly is good coverage? if having a low deductable and co-pay yet the policy doesnt meet the minumun of coverage, how good is it.

You gave one expample of higher deductable and copays...did you get only one quote? How many quotes did you consider...? Was the $6,000 higher option the lowest one available to you?
Oh, dude, I have looked at every plan in considerable detail from the best carriers. I had great coverage, and the ACA will water me down--period. Yeah, I pick up mental health coverage--but I'm not crazy. I will get maternity coverage--but we were done with babies more than two decades ago. I get to finance minor routine small expenses like annual physicals through an insurance company--it is now a crime to pay cash for small known recurring expenses--you know, the kind it makes no sense to insure.

My out of pocket expenses and deductibles are DOUBLING. I know Democrats have issues with arithmetic, but $12,700 is more than $6,000. And here's a hint: when it comes to potential out of pocket costs, "less" is better than "more." I know it is confusing, because it is exactly the opposite when it comes to having money in your pocket, when "more" is better than "less." Study these rules and improve yourself.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why should the healthcare system continue to respond to people who choose to not insure their healthcare risks?
While I don't necessarily disagree with you about this... it kind of begs the question... Why should the welfare system continue to respond to the people who abuse it. (Notice I said abuse.. not those truly downtrodden)

Life is about choices. Whether one makes the right choice or not is not the financial responsibility of any one else.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
either all insurers are required to provide minimun coverage requirements, or not? Are you disputing that?

If you would like to discuss your policy and your dedutibles and co pays...we can do that. But you can only speak to your situation. Your generalizations of higher deductibles and co pays is what you beleive is happeining...and is not valid to the topic.
Yes you are correct: Obamacare jams a bunch of stuff down everyone's throat whether they want it or need it or not. You are right. Obamacare outlaws customized coverage tailored to individual circumstances. We agree on this, it is not in dispute.

This next part is opinion, you can disagree but you cannot deny my right to have an opinion: when people figure out what Obamacare means to them, the people who have always taken care to insure themselves properly, they are going to be very, very angry at Obamacare and its proponents. Sure the pre-existing fix is nice, and the age 26 thing is nice....but taken as a whole, Obamacare is a hole. We'll be lucky if we ever dig out of it and get to something better. It is a POS for a lot of people, and we would all be better off if you and your ilk would admit it and start to work on fixing it.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
So you're blaming the ACA for bad employers who won't even insure their workers? Poor employees. Victims of the government. Surely the employers who never insured them and cut their hours to 29 to avoid having to are victims as well!

If your argument is that employers can't afford to insure their workers, that sounds like an argument for government health insurance.
Why do you think employers all of a sudden decided to become "bad"? Is there something else taking place in the health insurance industry that we're unaware of?

Why is it always someone elses fault? Is it that difficult for you to actually blame the bill for the ramifications its causing?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

By the way I don't need maternity or dental coverage for children.
As I understand it, the ACA only touches on oral heal care as it relates to children. The plans sold through the exchanges are not required to offer oral health care for children. If you do not have children, it's a non -issue.

Maternity care is a required service under ACA, just as it has been under legacy large group healthcare plans, all along. Actuaries can project with reasonable certainty how many of their insured customers will become pregnant at any point in time. They know that some have had surgery, some prevent pregnancy by not engaging in unprotected sex and some are too old to create life. That a few bucks of your premium may be subsiding someone else is what it is. Then again, some of their premiums may be subsidizing you on another risk.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
What exatly is good coverage? if having a low deductable and co-pay yet the policy doesnt meet the minumun of coverage, how good is it.

You gave one expample of higher deductable and copays...did you get only one quote? How many quotes did you consider...? Was the $6,000 higher option the lowest one available to you?
Many ignore the annual out of pocket caps which include the deductible and co-pays.

Those with greater expectations of the need to rely on ongoing healthcare are more likely to purchase gold or platinum plans and pay more because they expect to use more.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
But hospitals will be flush as they will get paid for costly services that the currently uninsured walk away from.

Heckuva job Barry.
Who do you think pays for the write-off of bad debt?

Who do you think pays for shop lifting and return scams in retail?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How about covering what I cant afford to cover and allow me to pay the rest out of pocket..

nope, cant have that.. obama said...
As mentioned, maybe this could be a future amendment. To make it " fair" no one, including ERs, should be required to treat or medicate anyone, unless they "show the money" or the hospital transfers the debt to a bank and you agree to a payment plan at the maximum amount of interest allowed under state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies