Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,288 times

Advertisements

I am also speechless! Unbelievable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I don't know how this was ever allowed to happen. I wish I could do...something
You can contact your senator(s) and ask them to support the bill Jason Altmire is proposing. I know I'm contacting mine.

Here's and article on the proposed bill.

Bill would guarantee bonus to soldiers wounded in Iraq

Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
You can contact your senator(s) and ask them to support the bill Jason Altmire is proposing. I know I'm contacting mine.

Here's and article on the proposed bill.

Bill would guarantee bonus to soldiers wounded in Iraq
Thanks for the link. I DEFINITELY will be contacting mine

Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
I am without words...and beyond disgusted. I swear to my life, if I was in the hospital with one of the wounded soldiers and some Big Army representative said something to that effect I just might hurt him on the spot.

How much can you ask from someone? At what point is enough enough? How much more does the Pentagon think their troops can take. First they took away longer breaks/R&R between deployments. Then they extend deployments. Then they get mad at troops seeking treatment for post-traumatic stress when their own facilities are undeniably ill-fit to provide the service...and now this?!

This is how mutinies start
No wonder they're desperate for warm bodies. And...of COURSE...Bush hasn't lifted a finger to help these people. Makes me sick.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:17 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Why would anybody want to join the military right now?

1) You are going to war for multiple tours of duty.
2) We can't even arm our folks with the right gear to protect themselves.
3) VA Benefits are horrid
4) You are penalized for being hurt in battle....

How long before patriotism goes sour even amongst our own military?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Quote:
I am without words...and beyond disgusted. I swear to my life, if I was in the hospital with one of the wounded soldiers and some Big Army representative said something to that effect I just might hurt him on the spot.

How much can you ask from someone? At what point is enough enough? How much more does the Pentagon think their troops can take. First they took away longer breaks/R&R between deployments. Then they extend deployments. Then they get mad at troops seeking treatment for post-traumatic stress when their own facilities are undeniably ill-fit to provide the service...and now this?!

This is how mutinies start
Good point.........

How about the wounded vet gives back his money after Uncle Sam gives
back his arms and legs. And they worry about torture at Gitmo ????
Just think, after the paraplegic is referred to Walter Reed and applies for
disability he has to wait 6 or 7 years to get approved for benefits. In the
meantime he goes broke and can't afford the co-pays at the VA while his family starves to death. I guess we call this supporting our troops. What's the
fastest way to the Canadian border ???????????

Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Good point.........

How about the wounded vet gives back his money after Uncle Sam gives
back his arms and legs
. And they worry about torture at Gitmo ????
Just think, after the paraplegic is referred to Walter Reed and applies for
disability he has to wait 6 or 7 years to get approved for benefits. In the
meantime he goes broke and can't afford the co-pays at the VA while his family starves to death. I guess we call this supporting our troops. What's the
fastest way to the Canadian border ???????????
Agreed.

There was a time when I appreciated the military for giving me what I had at that point in my life...now it seems they're more bent on taking, and taking, and taking some more. I don't understand it. The Pentagon has to realize that while they have troops committed to their duties, that there are still human beings under those uniforms. And we all have limits

Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Damn them. They prey on Patriotism to get these good guys to sign up and then chew 'em up and spit 'em out.

But we can't help them, that would be anti-constitutional.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:49 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Damn them. They prey on Patriotism to get these good guys to sign up and then chew 'em up and spit 'em out.

But we can't help them, that would be anti-constitutional.
Why can you not help them? Better question would be: How can you help them? And what's the anti-constitutional crapola, what are you yapping about? And who is "they"? The recruiters? They, the recruiters, are just doing their jobs, man.

I agree with all the others herein, including you, sir. I never got a reenlistment bonus in 20+ years, but I didn't go to war, either. I'll support the rep on his bill, I'll contact my reps round here. I'm a veteran, as well.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Hey guys, I googled for this because it sounded a little odd.

Yes, this did happen with some guys but apparently this is not supposed to be happening and the policy is no longer in force.

While reading about this I also came across some stories where a gal was incorrectly listed as AWOL instead of wounded and didnt get paid for many months which screwed up her credit etc etc etc.

Basically, lets not attribute to malice what can generally be explained by government foul-ups.

Lets also leave out the political attacks this appears to be your normal non-partisan government inefficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies