Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:23 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There were several articles I found on this topic when I googled this. I would recommend you doing the same as this kinda screams internet hoax. (It isnt but it is a little bit of garbage journalism)

So, in short....I don't think we are really getting the full story on some of these. Yes, it's outrageous but it seems to be that the end result is that this guy won't actually have to pay it back once things get sorted out.
Well I have reviewed this piece again and the only thing I have found that was not all that kosher was the report alluding to this having many cases but not citing them. Leaving the reader with maybe it is true, maybe it isn't.

On the other side of this was the recent episode with Walter Reid hospital where the military said all is well and it was if you don't mind rats running through or paint peeling off the walls. This of course was just an oversight and it was corrected because it was brought to peoples attention.

In another case there was the military being caught using a personality disorder clause to keep from paying benefits to soldiers discharged for other medical related issues. This issue is still under review from the same panel that is investigating the claims stated in this posted piece.

If nothing else, one thing is clear and that seems to be a pattern that the US government is not always benevolent in fulfilling its obligations to its soldiers and if it can get away with shaving the rim of a dime it very well may. When Senators have to repeatedly open investigations on how our veterans and soldiers are treated or their countries obligations to them are being met, something beyond just a silly mistake is at hand.

This maybe a misunderstanding or it may just be a pattern of indignant treatment of vets but I am willing to bet that no such mistakes happen to senators or congressman's pension plans or other benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I am willing to bet that no such mistakes happen to senators or congressman's pension plans or other benefits.
You would make off quite well if you placed a huge wager on this bet

Old 11-20-2007, 04:53 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Why do you hate our troops and America!?

Old 11-20-2007, 05:57 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
uh... huh?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
Yes, it's disgusting. But is anyone really surprised? Bush's Defense secretary sends troops into Iraq without adequate equipment. Then his administration gives huge contracts to companies like Halliburton, who in 2005 exposed troops to contaminated water, said nothing about it, and then tried to deny it when it was discovered. And in the middle of the war, the administration cuts Veteran Administration funding.

When are people going to get it? Just because this man says he believes in something, doesn't mean he really does. He has never been concerned about the military; he did his best not to serve in it. He is only about the corporations that sell to the military.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Yes, it's disgusting. But is anyone really surprised? Bush's Defense secretary sends troops into Iraq without adequate equipment. Then his administration gives huge contracts to companies like Halliburton, who in 2005 exposed troops to contaminated water, said nothing about it, and then tried to deny it when it was discovered. And in the middle of the war, the administration cuts Veteran Administration funding.

When are people going to get it? Just because this man says he believes in something, doesn't mean he really does. He has never been concerned about the military; he did his best not to serve in it. He is only about the corporations that sell to the military.
That Hayat water will give you kidney stones

Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Did I miss something in that post????

I am now soooooooooo confused

Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
TnHilltopper - Bravo!

Quote:
I figure that regardless of peoples political views or what they think of the war, those who go and fight these wars should never have to worry about how they will be cared for when it is all said and done. It is the one aspect of government spending I have no qualms with and will share the last dollar to my name to do so.
Laura Ingraham brought this up on 'The O'Reilly Factor' tonight. She hosted a veteran who told his story about the Army 'glitch' that required him to pay back his signing bonus. BTW, the troop said that even after all this (the wounding and the Army foul up): he was proud of what he did in Iraq and that he would do it all over again (paraphrased).

This will be cleared up shortly. IMO, this is what a free press should do - so thanks for helping publicize the problem.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Quote:
Hmm, truthiness

I think TriMT7 was mimicking the 'Colbert Report'

Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Regarding sending the military into battle unprepared and with inadequate equipment the same could be said for WW2,Korea and Vietnam.

The fact is U.S.A's military training and equipment is second to none,but is not always geared up to certain tactics the enemy might use and they must adapt as situations arise.

Trying to take back the bonuses is shameful.I agree that the military is underpaid and should recieve bonuses,I don't agree with the idea of $500,000 or $1,000,000 bonuses like some have claimes they should get but what was promised upfront should be held up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies