Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:13 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
no kidding. same thing with gay women. if you look like maddow, or cher's daughter, expect people to know you're gay.
Except not.

My hair grew back veeeeeeeeeery slowly after chemo. For over a year, between treatment and growing my hair, I had a stereotypical "butch" haircut. I gained a lot of weight and was very ill, so I often went out with no makeup, sweats, tshirts, and other clothes that fit a certain stereotype. I'm a straight woman. And yet, I got a more than a few slurs - particularly when I would not (could not) stand on a subway or bus. An old man called me a lazy dyke when I was sitting in a handicapped seat and would not move for him. I live in an area where homosexuality is almost universally accepted, but simply by being in public in a non-feminine dress and style, I was quickly made aware of the struggles of LGBTQ people who have all kind of assumptions made about them.

2 years later, I want to cut my hair short again because it's so much easier to deal with, but can't do it because of those memories.

Thanks for being part of the problem, dude.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Except not.

My hair grew back veeeeeeeeeery slowly after chemo. For over a year, between treatment and growing my hair, I had a stereotypical "butch" haircut. I gained a lot of weight and was very ill, so I often went out with no makeup, sweats, tshirts, and other clothes that fit a certain stereotype. I'm a straight woman. And yet, I got a more than a few slurs - particularly when I would not (could not) stand on a subway or bus. An old man called me a lazy dyke when I was sitting in a handicapped seat and would not move for him. I live in an area where homosexuality is almost universally accepted, but simply by being in public in a non-feminine dress and style, I was quickly made aware of the struggles of LGBTQ people who have all kind of assumptions made about them.

2 years later, I want to cut my hair short again because it's so much easier to deal with, but can't do it because of those memories.

Yea. I never really get why people think a woman with short hair is gay. Sorry about your plight. Hope the good health is back.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:18 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This really cuts to the heart of the matter: It's not just the intolerance for homosexuality itself, but rather how many people are enthusiastic about being abusive toward homosexuals, or even people who they think may be gay.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:21 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
I've been had too many times by internet news or even nightly news. Got to be some proof of this event. Think of all the rumors started that turned out to be not true at all, not true mostly, not true in some details etc. There have been some humdingers too. People believe instantly what they want to believe is true.

Sometimes it just ain't so.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I've been had too many times by internet news or even nightly news. Got to be some proof of this event. Think of all the rumors started that turned out to be not true at all, not true mostly, not true in some details etc. There have been some humdingers too. People believe instantly what they want to believe is true.

It was on the nightly news. Until it becomes a known hoax it appears to be for real.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
We have no reason to doubt this news story, but even if we did, the messages posted by homophobes here in C-D demonstrate the same kind of attitudes.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This really cuts to the heart of the matter: It's not just the intolerance for homosexuality itself, but rather how many people are enthusiastic about being abusive toward homosexuals, or even people who they think may be gay.
Because G-d forbid someone you likely are only having a brief interaction with dresses in a way you do not like or has mannerisms that annoy you. I'm sorry, I have bigger fish to fry than get up in arms when my waiter has a valley girl accent or the person on the bus is smacking their gum, why can't others get on board with the life lessons most of us learned in kindergarten?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post

Two reasons why I believe this is real:

1. The waiter is turning away all publicity and his name is not even known. It is his COWORKERS who saw the note and were horrified who spread the word.

2. The language used in the note is very similar to the Westboro Baptist Church (the
"G-d hates **** but we're just telling you because we love you" people), which is nearby. There's some likelihood that members of that "church" eat out on occasion.

Things feel more hoaxy when there is a lot of publicity. This guy doesn't seem to want the attention and Carrabbas backs him (unlike the situation with the preacher who left a note and didn't tip, where the server was fired for taking a picture of the check).

Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
This must be the new thing. Claim restaurant patron was racist toward you and then sit back and collect money from gullible folks who buy into your BS story.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This must be the new thing. Claim restaurant patron was racist toward you and then sit back and collect money from gullible folks who buy into your BS story.
What? What are you talking about?
How do you know it is BS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies