Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Nice idea........But the reality is now where near the picture that you paint.

If it was the USA would be the safest place on earth, and it isn't.

Take a hard look at the stats, if you want a dose of reality. Your country has a terrible record, when it comes to formal education, for your poorest people. A literacy rate that should be an embarrassment to a "first world country " and a history of neglect that is right there for all to see, who are not living with their heads underground.

Your family may be wonder full and educated. What about the rest of your nation's young people ? The ones that I see when I am travelling in your country. The ones working in minimum wage jobs, who are loosing their teeth, in their 20's, due to no dental care ? Or the ones who can't GET a job, and are living in a homeless shelter ? Or the ones who are facing the choice, of joining the US military, to become a "grunt " because the US economy is so bad ? Many of your military families are having to use food stamps, to get by.

For every young American that was able to go to a University, there are DOZENS of others who will never see the inside of a campus, unless they are working there as a janitor, or a parking lot attendant. Or they are grinding out a 40 hour a week sentence, on a assembly line somewhere.

My point is simple. Your country has failed many of your own citizens, who are poor and uneducated and stuck in the bottom level of your society. To them, the "American Dream " is a joke. No wonder so many of them are smoking crack or meth, to escape the reality of their existence. America is the biggest illicit drug market in the world. Ever wonder why that is ?

Jim B.

Toronto.
So Canada has no drug addicts? It's true that many Americans are nothing but meth addicts and potheads and not very ambitious to work.

As for missing teeth in youth, a toothbrush and toothpaste and brushing after each and every meal or snack will prevent that better than anything but cost less than $3. Meth destroys the teeth faster than anything, there is no point in providing expensive dental care to methheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
personally i make some of those very comments, but i also realize that kids today are just like kids when we were growing up. they have a lot to learn, are stubborn, and think they are indestructible, as well as all knowing. sometimes reality hits them early, sometimes late, sometimes not at all. for the most part they will learn the same lessons we did growing up, hopefully not with as much pain as some of us had when we were growing up.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Honestly, since the dancing reference came most probably from my post... I think that some of them may finally come around faster than most. The reason I say this... when we we're young, we thought we could change the world too. That's why Obama's hope and change propaganda worked so well on them. We believed we could "change"... they do too. But now... even that oh so liberal boy that I raised, is already getting a taste of the real world, and realizing that while dreams of a perfect utopia is a wonderful ideal... that reality is that it isn't going to happen, he can't "change" anything, and that sometimes much like dear ole stodgy republican Mom, you gotta ask, "Who's paying for it?"

Granted.. yes.. he and my yet unborn grandchildren are going to pay... but at the same time, what can I do about it... I still can't "change" anything.....
What? I never thought I could change the world when I was a kid..........well young person. I never even thought about "changing America" or all the BS the great leader throws out. Maybe that is the problem. Shut up government and let folks live their lives. What a novel concept. It is right there in the big paper that liberals despise.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Those damn kids today... It's important to remember that this statement was coined specifically for my generation.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^No, long before that. Socrates is the first one who was quoted as saying that, it probably went back to Adam and Eve complaining about their kids.

Quote by Socrates: Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies