Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Personally, I am all for the safety net, as any of us might need it for a while.

But it seems to me that in many cases, welfare, food stamps,etc. are basically bailing people out for bad decisions and support passivity and a victim mentality. For example, I don't blame a single mom if the guy walks out (or she throws an abusive creep out) and she has kids to support, but that is not at all the same as people who: 1) have repeated kids out of wedlock, 2) buy an overpriced house, car, I-Phone, computer, furniture that they cannot afford, and ask for financial assistance from people who live within their means, 3) move across the country with no plan or prospects, and expect to have their lifestyle supported, 4) work part-time and go to college and expect federal assistance. In all the latter cases, access to support for personal irresponsibility just rewards bad behavior. It is, frankly, anti-social behavior. I am getting pretty tired of all the partial welfare stuff too (food stamps,etc.). It all seems to weaken the character.

Like I said, it seems to me like a lot of it is like giving beer to an alcoholic. Or giving a guy pity for a hangover, which was, of course, unnecessary and self-inflicted.
i agree with you on this. when welfare was originally set up, it was a temporary program that was to give people a hand up after the unemployment ran out, and someone needed a bit of a lift to get one over the hump as it were. unfortunately it has become a lifestyle program for some in this country. so it is just like giving alcohol to an alcoholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 04:52 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That 55 year old miner won't consider driving a tractor or harvester because he figures he can lay around living off the government the rest of his life. Let the 55 year old impoverished illegal alien do all the farm work, the construction work, landscaping, painting and restaurant work. Same for the 30 year old with kids -- why work when you can lay around and never do anything and just let the illegals come and grab up all the jobs.

Why is it so easy for impoverished foreigners who know no English at all to grab up millions of jobs? One thing is they're willing to relocate to where ever the jobs happen to be. They don't have generous welfare handouts that make it seem better to never work.
have you ever seen a harvester in coal country? Nope. You never will, either. It's the wrong kind of place for growing large crops.

And that's the problem. How does a person who doesn't have enough money to move away do? Especially if he has lived in only one place all his life and knows nothing about anywhere else?

The answer is: they don't. Their young do, and for some, may be able to re-locate parents, but we cannot depend on that as a society.

You question would be like asking a corn farmer to leave his ground to go work in the mines. What does a middle aged farmer know about coal mining?

You seem to think neither job requires skill or experience. Try either for a year, and you'll change your mind long before that year is up.

Are we to be a nation of every man for himself, or are we all in this together? The first leads to anarchy and the second is what made us a great nation.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
The park where I go jogging has a small population of ducks, and people are always feeding them. I've done it myself. But there are several signs posted warning people not to feed the waterfowl. It's not that the parks dept hates the ducks, but they have determined that feeding them is deleterious in the wrong run, and only creates suffering for the ducks.
Stop Feeding Waterfowl - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

People are ultimately animals too. Why would it be any different for us? If a duck is lame, halt, or blind it could be an act of kindness to feed it. Otherwise, it's really an act of malice.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
have you ever seen a harvester in coal country? Nope. You never will, either. It's the wrong kind of place for growing large crops.

And that's the problem. How does a person who doesn't have enough money to move away do? Especially if he has lived in only one place all his life and knows nothing about anywhere else?

The answer is: they don't. Their young do, and for some, may be able to re-locate parents, but we cannot depend on that as a society.
Yet impoverished Central Americans speaking no English move away to come here for jobs. My grandfather went to another state to work during the Depression. People moved up from the south to jobs in Detroit at one time.

Welfare obviously makes it perfectly comfortable for these people to stay where there are no jobs, go on having children they cannot afford and just expect to mooch for their entire lives.

Illegals are doing so well that the remittances to just Mexico are over $2 billion a month.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet impoverished Central Americans speaking no English move away to come here for jobs. My grandfather went to another state to work during the Depression. People moved up from the south to jobs in Detroit at one time.

Welfare obviously makes it perfectly comfortable for these people to stay where there are no jobs, go on having children they cannot afford and just expect to mooch for their entire lives.

Illegals are doing so well that the remittances to just Mexico are over $2 billion a month.
You seem to be under the impression that illegals don't get welfare. Technically, the money goes to their kids, but they are actually overrepresented on SNAP rolls.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Default Pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You seem to be under the impression that illegals don't get welfare. Technically, the money goes to their kids, but they are actually overrepresented on SNAP rolls.
Yes -- but at the same time remittances to just Mexico are over $2 billion a month -- and that's besides what Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and other countries are getting.

The women and children get the free housing, the food stamps, WIC, school meals, Medicaid, but the men very often have jobs that pay cash under the table that they can send back home.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The park where I go jogging has a small population of ducks, and people are always feeding them. I've done it myself. But there are several signs posted warning people not to feed the waterfowl. It's not that the parks dept hates the ducks, but they have determined that feeding them is deleterious in the wrong run, and only creates suffering for the ducks.
Stop Feeding Waterfowl - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

People are ultimately animals too. Why would it be any different for us? If a duck is lame, halt, or blind it could be an act of kindness to feed it. Otherwise, it's really an act of malice.
This gets at what I am pondering. I don't claim my observations speak to national generalities. Perhaps they are specific to my town and observations, but it seems to me that subsidizing poor decisions, which are what is often behind the need for assistance, does little to diminish dependency.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:20 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There is no federal program called welfare.

So here is the question what are you talking about?

Again, the program that mostly helps single moms is called TANF, there is a 5 year max limit on TANF and in many states you don't get any extra money for having more children while you receive TANF.

So you mean to tell me that helping out economically poor single moms for 5 years is like giving an alcoholic beer? That makes no sense.

What people who buy overpriced homes or iPhones, cars computer, etc have to do with anything?

Seriously there are income and wealth limitations on people before they can get public assistance. A person just can't go to a government agency and say hey I over paid for my home, etc now give me money. You are creating a fantasy world.

Again people what do people moving across country have to do with anything? Again a person just can't go to a government agency and say hey I moved across country now give me money. You are creating a fantasy world.

What federal assistance are part time working college students getting that upset you? You mean federal assistance for loans and grants to help pay for school? If so you are way out there.

Again, none of the things you mentioned causes irresponsible behavior.
Amazing people discuss finances without looking at financials. Just amazing.

How much do we REALLY spend on Welfare?

quote:
the government has no spending category called “Welfare”. Therefore, what somebody calls “Welfare” is somewhat subjective and undefinable. The Office of Management and Budget(OMB) does have a spending category called “Income Security”.

....that spending is broken down into 6 distinct subfunctions.

1. General retirement and disability insurance
  2. Federal employee retirement and disability
  3. Unemployment compensation
  4. Housing assistance
  5. Food and nutrition assistance
  6. Other income security
But as I described in a previous post, 3 out of the 6 income security subfunctions go to pensions and unemployment – things that must be earned by working and paying into.

....That would be 5.5% of the unified budget. I counted off-budget programs since the pie graphs in the beginning counted social security and other “off-budget” accounts. If you only want to go with on-budget expenditures it’s 6.4%, still a far cry from the 12% that most internet graphs will show you.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:43 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I might be dating myself, but since when does an able bodied student deserve food stamps? Perhaps a single mother, but a young, able-bodied man? That would have never occurred to me. I took out student loans, and paid them back myself.

Oregon tends to attract far more people than we have jobs for, and instead of going somewhere to find a job, the kids tend to stick around and stick their hands out. I find it disgraceful. Rewarding some kid who left the East Coast with a car bought by his parents to retire or semi-retire on the West Coast is just revolting to me. We see it A LOT here. I am just shocked and a bit disgusted that so many people expect a hand out.

As a young man, I am sure I might have qualified for some assistance at some point, but I never asked. I took crappy jobs and worked my way up. I was raised to believe it is shameful to ask someone else to pay for what you can earn yourself or do without.

Admittedly, I can only speak from my own experience and observations (my wife is a food stamp worker). But it seems like we have plenty of folks here in Oregon who seem to have no such shame.
All your observations are subjective and vague. (NM highly judgmental.)

However, if you want to be upset at a moocher you need to take it up with the govt. They have nothing without people. People fund everything they do. Without them they have no means of funding or ability to do squat. The only reason govt does any of this is that it uses it as an excuse to make people dependent and gives them a reason to create an investment fund they can invest and leverage to the hilt.

People aren't mooching off the govt. It is the other way around. Why choose to be upset at some abstract "person" that got a few bucks for food.
Why not see how much money is being stashed in surpluses in govt investment funds? Trillions.

Hopefully, your wife as an agent of the govt (or maybe an employee) doesn't share your view of her customers.

Last edited by CDusr; 10-27-2013 at 01:53 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 01:46 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,669 times
Aww no hell no!
Never been a documented case where anybody abused a obamaphone.
Wait, wut?
Nevermind lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies