Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Then perhaps they do what millions of loving parents did during the Great Depression. They gave kids up for adoption, so the kids would have a better life.

It is not societies job to overcome individuals shortcomings.
What is in bold is such a incorrect statement. There is a reason we have programs to help people. We thankfully do not live in a "me for me" society even though many people would love that we are all one group that has decided to help others. If you do not like that maybe you should go to a third world country where that does not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Kidding right???
No.

Harrier would like an explanation.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
This is the problem with the country now business are not being held accountable and society has to pay for it.
Held accountable for what, exactly?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Right because there are so many better jobs out there. Get two or three sure and people will spending about every moment of their life sleeping or working no free time or time with family. If that happens I guarantee we will see more suicides. Curse no blame should go to Businesses you want to shift all the blame to the employee so your beloved rich people will prosper more. This is the problem with the country now business are not being held accountable and society has to pay for it.
and just what should business be held accountable for? are you suggesting that business should just hire a bunch of people they dont need? and then pay them say $15 an hour, to do what? i have said it before, business is not created to put people to work. a business is created to make the owner of the business money. they do that by creating a product or service, and charging enough money to cover expenses and make a profit, but not charge too much that they lose business.

if a business needs to hire someone to take up work that needs to be done, but the owner isnt able to get to, then they hire someone, usually because the business has expanded to require an employee. there is no shifting of blame to the employee, because the business is blameless when an employee hires on and accepts the wages the business will pay for a particular job. if the employee doesnt like the wages offered, they dont have to accept the job offer. again if the employee cant do the math to figure out what they are going to get each week, how is that the employers problem?

and how is it the employers problem if the going rate for a particular job is lets say $8 an hour, but the employee needs $12 to make ends meet? you want to blame the employer for the ills of society, but the employer isnt the problem.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:22 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Government over taxation and over regulation drove jobs away.

The free market is more powerful and much smarter than government.
I also believe he/she is also smarter than anyone here. free market usually posts intelligently, logically to arguments/discussions presented, he/she is one smart cookie.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...t-1078566.html

NoJiveMan no longer lives in a van in state parks, and doesn't spawn any unwanted children or children by mistake, alimony payments opened NoJiveMan's eyes permanently, and he will no longer flip bacon for a living as it is a thankless job, nobody appreciates a chef or a good cook these days, my dog is my only critic when I cook.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You know, some things just are not "high value" and one of them is fast food.

I recall a conversation years ago with someone, who thought everyone should get an income - the SAME income. Because this person thought that we should all be free to live well, even if what we wanted to do was fingerpaint cardboard boxes.

I remember many years ago, reading a Nat Geo article about a mine. This mine had produced massively, but the amount compared to the ore was microscopic. The fact was, that even the miner's clothes eventually went through as ore, to extract even the most minute quantities - NOTHING went to waste.

The "it takes a village" is nonsense, in my view... however, "It takes a nation" is true... when you mean "It takes a nation to be a nation". That is, everyone, regardless of skill or value, should be productive. Some people's contributions will be very small, some large. But like the mine, when its all added up, it's very large. The fact is, that if we stopped prohibiting low value work, so that everyone worked, the total would be greater than it is now, and everyone would be better off.

I've heard of something like this.
From each according to his ability, to each according to his need - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Fast food/retail has replaced living wage manufacturing jobs that were once in this country. There are now little options for lower iq working people.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:

When did people mistake these jobs for something one was supposed to do past their teenage years, or as a retiree?

Seeing folks at McJobs in their prime earning years is the underlying problem. Where is their motivation?
"Mistake them?"

You honestly believe people in their prime-earning years would be taking these jobs if they had an alternative?

As for their "motivation" how about paying rent.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Then perhaps they do what millions of loving parents did during the Great Depression. They gave kids up for adoption, so the kids would have a better life.

It is not societies job to overcome individuals shortcomings.
You want to return to an era where unwanted children grew up in orphanages? Well you have definitely stuck the idiotic comment line in the hole you have been digging.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if someone is working two jobs, and cant make ends meet, then they are doing something wrong. perhaps they need to give up that big house and move into a smaller apartment, give up the big Tv, and cable, and buying toys for the kids, etc. stop buying the high end food and buy private label brands, if they have two cars, give one up and use a bike instead. there are all kinds of way to economize.
What if they pack a family of 4 into a studio apartment with only basic things and living on cans of beans while working every hour they are awake (with no one home to parent their children) and still need assistance? Then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies