Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 AM

624 posts, read 939,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obviously you are interchanging "rights" and "private rules". They are not interchangable.
They are in the context of institutions and private businesses. If they make a rule, it's not your right to break it. Not without consequences.

When I enrolled at a university, I received in my orientation paperwork a list of "student rights and responsibilities". They differed from my rights in the outside world, but that doesn't change the fact that they were my rights in that context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
They are in the context of institutions and private businesses. If they make a rule, it's not your right to break it.
There is no right to not be offended.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,441 times
Quote:
You see this more and more in corporate and private sector American. These institutions can not foresee every instance of 'discriminnation' brought agasint them...so as a matter if protection, they have adpoted a zero policy. it doesnt matter if and action or object is offesive, all actions/objects are banned to reduce their risk of liability.

This is not a case of an 'offesive' object per se, it is a case of an object...any and all obects, that are banned and the compliance with that ban.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You see this more and more in corporate and private sector American. These institutions can not foresee every instance of 'discriminnation' brought agasint them...so as a matter if protection, they have adpoted a zero policy. it doesnt matter if and action or object is offesive, all actions/objects are banned to reduce their risk of liability.

This is not a case of an 'offesive' object per se, it is a case of an object...any and all obects, that are banned and the compliance with that ban.
Yes but they are not banned because people have a right to not be offended. A corporation or private college can set certain rules though if they wish.

Many times it's in the corporations or college's best interest. That's fine.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM

624 posts, read 939,211 times
Quote:
Students do have a "right to be treated with respect", a statement outlined in Rochester University's Code of Conduct as issued by the school. This entails, according to their policy, having regard for the well-being and living activities of other students. This is really the central question of this case...whether the student's right to free speech in his dorm window trumps the right of Black students (and others) not to be disrespected by a well-known symbol of racist ideology when they are in a common residential area.

Last edited by Slithytoves; 10-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: To remove comment not fully supported by media coverage of the issue.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
Students do have a "right to be treated with respect", a statement outlined in Rochester University's Code of Conduct as issued by the school.
That is a school rule, not a right.

Quote:
This entails, according to their policy, having regard for the well-being and living activities of other students. This is really the central question of this case...whether the student's right to free speech in his dorm window trumps the right of Black students (and others) not to be disrespected by a well-known symbol of racist ideology when they are in a common residential area.
You can't pass a rule to make people have a regard for the well being of any other student at that. We have already covered that free speech is not a part of the equation where it comes to private college's. A college can pass such a rule and it has nothing to do with free speech as your rights to free speech have no bearing here.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Whether Germans do or don't or should or shouldn't, they have every right to fly whatever flag they want. That's what makes us different from those who exist under other flags.
Hopefully this has already been said, but in actuality, people do not have a right to fly whatever flag they want on property that they do not own.

This student does not own the dorm so he is not able to put holes in the wall, let alone fly a confederate flag, unless the university authorizes him to.

I work in housing and we have renters who want to put up various sorts of flags. We can remove them because we own the property and they are just renters.

And FYI, people who live in certain subdivisions or neighborhoods also cannot put whatever flag they wnt in their own yard when they own property because it may be denied via the HOA.

ETA: It doesn't make a difference if a university if private or public, the student (i.e. the renter) does not own the property and therefore has to follow whatever rules that the university has in regards to flags or other posted material.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Hopefully this has already been said, but in actuality, people do not have a right to fly whatever flag they want on property that they do not own.
It's been covered. Once it was pointed out that this is a private college it has been pretty well acknowledged that they can do this.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,304 times
Quote:
Whether Germans do or don't or should or shouldn't, they have every right to fly whatever flag they want. That's what makes us different from those who exist under other flags.
Hmmm, that's interesting. Because I seem to recall certain people getting extremely upset when say a Hispanic person flies the Mexican flag. Now how come in that instance, the complaining I see is justified but not justified in terms of hanging a redneck flag? Very interesting.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Hmmm, that's interesting. Because I seem to recall certain people getting extremely upset when say a Hispanic person flies the Mexican flag. Now how come in that instance, the complaining I see is justified but not justified in terms of hanging a redneck flag? Very interesting.
You would have to ask them. I stated what I thought about that recently. Go back a few posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies