Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,666,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The Confederate flag is the flag of traitors who started a war against the United States and lost their asses.
This.

The CSA was an enemy of my country. The country I swore to defend and whose flag I wore on my uniform when I served.

I would never fly the flag of an enemy of my country.

Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
Comparing the Confederate flag to the swatisika is silly.

But why would you move north and then display a Confederate flag? You should try not to clash with the local culture if possible. If you want to fly a confederate flag, keep it back home. Don't bring it up here.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 PM

21,492 posts, read 10,607,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
within the bounds of EEOC regulations. So to answer your question, it would depend on whether that refusal violated EEOC. Dumb student wanting to fly the Confederate flag does not fall under EEOC.

In retrospect, we should have passed a law making the process of producing Confederate flags an act of treason when we accepted their surrender to the union. Non acceptence should have meant more Sherman marches to cities like Atlanta. Just like Japan and German, these enemies should have had just one out-absolute, unconditional surrender.
I think that would be unconstitutional. I do believe in free speech. My comment was that I just don't understand why so many in the south want to display that flag when it's such a slap in the face to so many people. They have a right to do it, but the public should look on it the same way we would to a person displaying a Swastika. Very few outside the white supremacists would find that acceptable.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 PM

21,492 posts, read 10,607,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

But why would you move north and then display a Confederate flag? You should try not to clash with the local culture if possible. If you want to fly a confederate flag, keep it back home. Don't bring it up here.
I only compare it because both are symbols of subjugation of a group of people because of their race. It's not really that silly if you think about it.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,955,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Whether Germans do or don't or should or shouldn't, they have every right to fly whatever flag they want. That's what makes us different from those who exist under other flags.
There is no right for any student to place anything in violation of the contract he signed to recieve campus housing. The student does have every right to move "off campus" rent his own place and and fly any flag he wishes...so long as it is not in violation of his new leasing agreement.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Here is a good book that might help answer your questions.

The Nine Nations of North America: Joel Garreau: 9780380578856: Amazon.com: Books
I'm not asking Joel Garreau...i'm asking you.

Southern pride about what? And what culture exists in the south that doesn't exist elsewhere in this country?

You asserted the existence of such things, right?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
There is no right for any student to place anything in violation of the contract he signed to recieve campus housing. The student does have every right to move "off campus" rent his own place and and fly any flag he wishes...so long as it is not in violation of his new leasing agreement.
I had no idea what sort of college this was but as it seems to be a private institute they can curtail a persons speech in this way.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,160,369 times
By the 1940s, however, the flag could be seen at University of Mississippi football games and other popular events, ushering in what historian John Coski has called a "flag fad." That fad eventually extended to the far reaches of the nation, and the flag can now be seen on every kind of trinket and tchotchke imaginable.

However, the flag's most lasting legacy -- and the source of much of the controversy today -- can be traced to its use as a symbol of "Massive Resistance" by the Dixiecrats beginning in 1948 and continuing through the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 60s. During that period, the flag became the standard for those committed to defending classrooms, bus depots, and other public spaces (now battlefields themselves) from black encroachment.

In fact, the flag's use throughout the 20th century covered a time span significantly longer than its presence on Civil War battlefields. Its placement atop southern statehouses like South Carolina ultimately reinforced the flag's connection to segregation and racism.

America's Simple-Minded Obsession With the Confederate Flag - Kevin M. Levin - The Atlantic

Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 PM

37,157 posts, read 19,268,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I have pictures of the neonazis gathered here in Columbia to celebrate Hitler's birthday in 2007 flying the two flags next to one another. The nazi candidate for president spoke that day and said that the reason they chose Columbia for the celebration was that the Confederate flag was still flying on the State House grounds (this situation persists today). If you would like to see the picture, let me know and I'll upload it.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,996,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think that would be unconstitutional. I do believe in free speech. My comment was that I just don't understand why so many in the south want to display that flag when it's such a slap in the face to so many people. They have a right to do it, but the public should look on it the same way we would to a person displaying a Swastika. Very few outside the white supremacists would find that acceptable.
If I recall correctly, Germany made dispalying swastickas ILLEGAL. Punishable by 3 years in jail. You are correct-we should mirror their laws with our most offensive symbol-the Confederate flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies