Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 PM

21,488 posts, read 10,605,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
According to the article, the kid was free to hang the flag on a wall in his room. If he sees it as Southern Pride, I think that should have been a satisfactory compromise. Showing pride is one thing. Courting bad feelings is completely another. He didn't have to hang the flag in his window to get the point across.

New York lost a lot of men in the Civil War. The slaver issue is one thing, but there is also some lingering hard feelings over the blood that was shed on both sides, not just the south. Families who lost all their sons aren't going to forget that for generations to come.
I have no hard feelings. The deaths of those men are so distant in time it might as well have been in Ancient Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,529,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I realize they have the right to fly the flag, but my objection is to the idea of honoring a history of slavery. No matter how you slice it, those states seceded because they wanted to continue owing slaves. Call it state's rights, but it's still the right to own slaves.
I guess there are alot of African and Asian countries who shouldnt be flying their flags right now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...00-in-the-u-s/

Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
I don't actually think the issue is the Confederate Flag. It's the totalitarian mindset on college campuses, the least free speech places in our country today.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,206,357 times
Why fly the flag of traitors.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:32 PM

2,980 posts, read 3,542,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I live in Texas, but I could never understand why so many people want to put the Confederate flag on their cars, shirts, dorm rooms, etc. It's stupid. They'll say it's about history, but I say it's about a hateful history. Could you imagine Germans putting Swastikas everywhere? Of course not, because it's something they're ashamed of! Let's put this to rest, please!
Lady, I'll fly the confederate flag if I want to. Mind your own business! Your swastika comparison shows that you have no substantive argument.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 PM

2,980 posts, read 3,542,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't actually think the issue is the Confederate Flag. It's the totalitarian mindset on college campuses, the least free speech places in our country today.
I agree LauraC. I don't know if the the liberals on campus have tried to restrict free speech at my alma mater since I graduated, but I'm afraid they might have done so.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:43 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,044,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
This.

The CSA was an enemy of my country. The country I swore to defend and whose flag I wore on my uniform when I served.

I would never fly the flag of an enemy of my country.

Period.
The only problem with your position is that the Union never recognized the Confederacy as a legitimately separate entity - they were seen as Americans unlawfully revolting.

If the Confederates had won, or if the states which comprised it, had not been allowed to re-enter the union, your position would be valid.

As it is, what you seem to be saying is that you are at war with at least 1/4 of your fellow Americans.

Thank you for your service, but Harrier doesn't think that your oath allowed you to fight against your fellow countrymen, unless they were currently waging war against the republic.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,188,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The only problem with your position is that the Union never recognized the Confederacy as a legitimately separate entity - they were seen as Americans unlawfully revolting.

If the Confederates had won, or if the states which comprised it, had not been allowed to re-enter the union, your position would be valid.

As it is, what you seem to be saying is that you are at war with at least 1/4 of your fellow Americans.

Thank you for your service, but Harrier doesn't think that your oath allowed you to fight against your fellow countrymen, unless they were currently waging war against the republic.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Comparing the Confederate flag to the swatisika is silly.

But why would you move north and then display a Confederate flag? You should try not to clash with the local culture if possible. If you want to fly a confederate flag, keep it back home. Don't bring it up here.
Harrier was born in and lives in a Union state - California.

Harrier supports the Union objective and would have proudly volunteered as a Union soldier had he been of an appropriate age from 1861-1865.

Harrier has no wish to fly the Confederate flag, but will shed his blood to defend the right of any American who wishes to fly the Confederate flag.

If you are also a defender of liberty, then Harrier hopes that you would do the same.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
Harrier took that same oath when he worked for the state of California(except it didn't include upholding the UCMJ - he did swear to uphold the Constitution of California).

Harrier did use the phrase "currently waging war against the republic" in his previous post to which you are referring.

Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies