Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,187,656 times

Advertisements

Harrier's point was that the Union never recognized the Confederacy as a legitimately separate entity, therefore when KH calls them "the enemy of his country", he is mistaken, because in the view of the Union, they never officially left his country.

In light of his oath, they were a domestic enemy. Hence why I posted it.

In that light, KH is talking nonsense, since the confederacy was still a part of his country and could not be the enemy of his country - unless he still considers the confederate states to be his enemy - and that would mean that he still considers at least 1/4 of the republic to be at war with the rest of the U.S.A. - a patently false premise.

Against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Bolded it last time, underlined it this time, just so you can't miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The article states that "Miz Alberta" was 21 when she married an 81-year veteran of the Confederate Army in 1927. I'd still say that was pretty distant. Even their son together (if he really was the man's biological son) probably never had a memorable relationship with his father. He died five years after they married.
That doesn't matter.

She is the last Civil War widow and that makes the Civil War a relatively recent event, which is evident given the high emotion that debate over it evokes to this day among people who were born long after it ended.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Harrier's point was that the Union never recognized the Confederacy as a legitimately separate entity, therefore when KH calls them "the enemy of his country", he is mistaken, because in the view of the Union, they never officially left his country.

In light of his oath, they were a domestic enemy. Hence why I posted it.

In that light, KH is talking nonsense, since the confederacy was still a part of his country and could not be the enemy of his country - unless he still considers the confederate states to be his enemy - and that would mean that he still considers at least 1/4 of the republic to be at war with the rest of the U.S.A. - a patently false premise.

Against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Bolded it last time, underlined it this time, just so you can't miss it.
The point is that they are no longer a domestic enemy.

What part of that fact do you not understand?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,187,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The point is that they are no longer a domestic enemy.

What part of that fact do you not understand?

He never said they were.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,596,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That doesn't matter.

She is the last Civil War widow and that makes the Civil War a relatively recent event, which is evident given the high emotion that debate over it evokes to this day among people who were born long after it ended.
Of course I realize it wasn't as far back as Carthage, but to me it might as well have been. My point was that I (and many, many people) never knew a Civil War veteran, so how could we still be bitter about the loss of life?

I think that some of the bitterness to this day has to do with regionalism, and the loss of family fortunes by some southerners. Surly not because Great-Great-Uncle Joe was killed in a battle that happened over 148 years ago.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,996,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Whether Germans do or don't or should or shouldn't, they have every right to fly whatever flag they want. That's what makes us different from those who exist under other flags.

The German Constitution of the BDR (largely written by advisors from the Occupying Powers in the Western Sectors) forbade and made it a crime to to advocate, participate or publically sport any images, symbols or flages of the NDSAP (Nazi) Party or any offical organ for that government. So you can't fly the Blood Red flag with the Backwards Swastika. wear your neatly pressed SA uniform, say Sieg Hail or make the the Nazi salute (Similar to the Roman salute), play or sing the Horst Wessel, wear your Deaths head ring or you double Sieg emblems and don't you dare sell copies of Mein Kampf. The offense isn't just applicable to Germany but anywhere. If a German commits this crime here and it is reported to German authorities he gets arrested at German Immigration and Customs when he gets home. The Polezi will be waiting at the gate.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,402,887 times
Default He should've been expelled and sent back to the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A University of Rochester student is accusing the college of violating his First Amendment rights after a residence hall adviser reportedly forced him to remove a Confederate flag from his dorm room window over the “discomfort" it was causing.

Matthew Papay, a 19-year-old sophomore from Weaverville, N.C., says the flag was hanging in the window of his residence hall on campus in early October when graduate house adviser Catherine Christian told him to remove it, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle reports.

Student says New York university forced him to remove Confederate flag | Fox News
The flag is repulsive, highly offensive as a symbol of a supremely ignorant, vulgar, and vile segment of this society and history that should never see the light of day. Its presence can incite a riot and generate an enormous sense of anger. Anyone who flies it is suffering from a mental disorder and needs professional help.

They not only should've told him to take it down, but they should've burned it in front of him, then kicked him out of school. He needs to be replaced by a far more qualified, more versatile, non-bigoted person from anywhere.

Send that ignoramus back down to the sticks.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
It's just a way to self identify as a racist without explicitly saying so. Might as well hang a noose in front of your house.
I don't actually believe that to be true. I know a few people who think it's all about Southern pride, and they're not racist (just insensitive). I blame country music.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It doesn't matter what it represents or what the culture is in the south or the north.

If he wants to display a flag knowing how most people view it, that is his right. The rest of the discussion points are irrelevant.
LOL...right.

In other words, the whole spiel about southern pride and southern culture is hogwash.

Just say so.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I blame the Dukes of Hazzard.
That too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies