Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Maryland about 20 miles NW of DC
6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Reputation: 2479

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't actually believe that to be true. I know a few people who think it's all about Southern pride, and they're not racist (just insensitive). I blame country music.


If a person wanted to sport a flag to show Southern Pride, he shouldn't choose the Stars and Bars which was Battle Flag of Confederate Forces like the Army of Northern Virginia, or The Tennesee or The Mississippi. Because you never served in the Confederate Military and thus earned the Right to fly that flag! It would be like a non-Marine flying the Colors of the Corps. YOU have to earn the right and be accepted by the Corps and all men and some women who have ever earned the title of US Marine.

There are several flags of the CSA that I belive 99% of Americans even those in Dixie would fail to correctly identify. My Choice is the Bonny Blue Flag with the Single Star. I have one bought at the Gettysburg Military Park. As a popular patriotic Song of the period goes

Hurrah, Hurrah For Southern Rights Hurrah!

Hurrah for The Bonny Blue Flag that bears a single star!

This was the Flag of the CSA Government in Richmond.


I like old Flags and I have a Stars and Bars, a Lone Star Flag, an 18 Star Flag of "The type flown over Fort McHenry or of "The Star Spangled Banner Fame) a Betsy Ross and even a Jack and Stripes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 AM
 
688 posts, read 652,392 times
Reputation: 367
The Confederacy fought against what is now a slave-free America... if a dumb kid wants to sport a Confederate Flag, a Nazi flag, or the Flag of North Korea, then they should be put in their place. Take the dumb-sheesh down, or be told to go to slave-owning-America, Nazi Germany, or North Korea.

... Maybe the dumb kid needs to learn to see that he's lucky he's an American, or maybe be just needs to own his racism and leave when we tell him to kick rocks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Of course I realize it wasn't as far back as Carthage, but to me it might as well have been. My point was that I (and many, many people) never knew a Civil War veteran, so how could we still be bitter about the loss of life?

I think that some of the bitterness to this day has to do with regionalism, and the loss of family fortunes by some southerners. Surly not because Great-Great-Uncle Joe was killed in a battle that happened over 148 years ago.
The person who is able to be traced the furthest back on Harrier's family tree became an orphan due to the Civil War.

A prominent name in Harrier's family is only because of Harrier's great, great grandfather's adopted father's family name.

There are many more personally historical family stories related to the Civil War among American's alive today.

You can't simply dismiss the impact of the war because of the passage of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...right.

In other words, the whole spiel about southern pride and southern culture is hogwash.

Just say so.
If you are culturally ignorant, then just say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:30 AM
 
56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Reputation: 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If you are culturally ignorant, then just says so.
Funny how no one can explain this southern culture. Not you, not anyone else.

You had to stoop to the Oprah's Book Club strategy as if that explained anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 AM
 
688 posts, read 652,392 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The person who is able to be traced the furthest back on Harrier's family tree became an orphan due to the Civil War.

A prominent name in Harrier's family is only because of Harrier's great, great grandfather's adopted father's family name.

There are many more personally historical family stories related to the Civil War among American's alive today.

You can't simply dismiss the impact of the war because of the passage of time.
Just because you are related doesn't mean that you have to defend all that they did, though. You can surely find many facets of their lives to be proud of, but does racism belong in that pride? It doesn't mean a complete condemnation of their existence to address the shortcomings of their time, but let's admit them, own them, and then move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
Just because you are related doesn't mean that you have to defend all that they did, though. You can surely find many facets of their lives to be proud of, but does racism belong in that pride? It doesn't mean a complete condemnation of their existence to address the shortcomings of their time, but let's admit them, own them, and then move forward.
Harrier is related to a northerner(born in Ohio) who was orphaned before the age of ten because of the Civil War (he was Harrier's great-grandfather whom Harrier never knew, but Harrier did know that man's son, who was Harrier's great-grandfather).

Harrier has already said in this thread that he supports the Union objective and would have volunteered for the Union army had he been of appropriate age during the Civil War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier was born in and lives in a Union state - California.

Harrier supports the Union objective and would have proudly volunteered as a Union soldier had he been of an appropriate age from 1861-1865.

Harrier has no wish to fly the Confederate flag, but will shed his blood to defend the right of any American who wishes to fly the Confederate flag.

If you are also a defender of liberty, then Harrier hopes that you would do the same.

Harrier has also stated within this thread that he supports the university's position because they are a private school, and that the student will likely lose any lawsuit that he brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier sees that New York University is a private institute of higher education.

He will defend their right to have the flag not be displayed.

This is not a first amendment issue.

The student will likely lose his lawsuit, if he files one.
It appears that you don't read threads very thoroughly, and tend to make a lot of ASSumptions.

Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 AM
 
688 posts, read 652,392 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Harrier has already said in this thread that he supports the Union objective and would have volunteered for the Union army had he been of appropriate age during the Civil War.




Harrier has also stated within this thread that he supports the university's position because they are a private school, and that the student will likely lose any lawsuit that he brings.


Whatever.
But, Third Person Harrier has also defended the Confederacy by essentially saying that he's innocent by association. That's like when us white dudes claim that it's "okay" when he drops the "n-word" because he has a "black" friend (when that black dude considers you barely an "acquaintance"), when even his white friends knew it was racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Reputation: 15980
I have and display confederate flags. I don't care who is politically correct and offended by it. I will exercise my freedom of speech as I see fit. The confederate flag is about southern history, its about the values of states rights vs big government federalism which is a very important issue to this day. Seeing posters compare those flying the stars and bars to those flying Nazi flags is just plain ridiculous. Nazis were murderous genocidal maniacs bent on world domination, the confederacy on the other hand was a rebellion against federal power that was triggered by the issue of slavery. Slavery was a moral crime of all America by the way, not just the south. Also American slavery while wrong was no where near as evil as the crimes of the Nazis. The Nazis killed millions, and started a war that killed tens of millions. Nothing about the Nazis is good or defendable, they are pure evil. Both sides of the civil war have aspects of their causes that are legitimately defendable. There are lots of grey areas in our civil war as there are in most wars. World war two on the other hand is one of those rare conflicts of good vs evil, right vs wrong. Please do not compare those who fly confederate flags with hateful Nazis. The two groups are not even in the same universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 AM
 
688 posts, read 652,392 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have and display confederate flags. I don't care who is politically correct and offended by it. I will exercise my freedom of speech as I see fit. The confederate flag is about southern history, its about the values of states rights vs big government federalism which is a very important issue to this day. Seeing posters compare those flying the stars and bars to those flying Nazi flags is just plain ridiculous. Nazis were murderous genocidal maniacs bent on world domination, the confederacy on the other hand was a rebellion against federal power that was triggered by the issue of slavery. Slavery was a moral crime of all America by the way, not just the south. Also American slavery while wrong was no where near as evil as the crimes of the Nazis. The Nazis killed millions, and started a war that killed tens of millions. Nothing about the Nazis is good or defendable, they are pure evil. Both sides of the civil war have aspects of their causes that are legitimately defendable. There are lots of grey areas in our civil war as there are in most wars. World war two on the other hand is one of those rare conflicts of good vs evil, right vs wrong. Please do not compare those who fly confederate flags with hateful Nazis. The two groups are not even in the same universe.
It's cool that you want to rebel against what is politically correct, but for something to become politically correct, it first has to be accepted as politically correct. You can try and stick it to us folks who find the Confederate Flag as representative of a subclass of Americans all you want, but just do it knowing that you come across as trashy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top