Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 09:55 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I wouldn't have ocurred to me that it's widespread. Maybe I'm in a bubble, but I assume it's rare outside a few nasty social circles.

Is it a southern thing? I thought it was more of an inner city African-American thing.
No, it's not a southern thing, and it's more rural than inner city.

Nor is it a black thing. Dogfighting is very popular with mostl racial groups.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,481,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Liberals and NYU got it right this time....for a change

hanging a confed flag is akin to hanging a swastika up.

Sorry 'hate speech' does not equal 'free speech'.
You're wrong and perhaps you don't understand the first amendment.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,980,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
You're wrong and perhaps you don't understand the first amendment.
Apparently I'm right and you're wrong. NYU agrees and took the appropriate action.

Don't like it? Pack up and move.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,481,918 times
Quote:
Apparently I'm right and you're wrong. NYU agrees and took the appropriate action.

LOL, I live nowhere near New York and we have the right to display symbols even if they offend people like you. For this reason, I support anyone who is sporting a Rebel Flag. I love when people like you get all offended over nothing. I'm sure if people with your logic were in charge, you would do away with the First Amendment. Since you obviously don't understand the constitution (the most important document in our nation), I think you need to pack up and move, now!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 AM

1,268 posts, read 792,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
LOL, I live nowhere near New York and we have the right to display symbols even if they offend people like you. For this reason, I support anyone who is sporting a Rebel Flag. I love when people like you get all offended over nothing. I'm sure if people with your logic were in charge, you would do away with the First Amendment. Since you obviously don't understand the constitution (the most important document in our nation), I think you need to pack up and move, now!
A private school has the right to determine what it allows on campus. This is what allows Liberty University (Jerry Falwell U) able to enforce his agenda on students. If the school is not a recipient of federal funds, they are free to determine what is appropriate behavior. There is no question they could require the removal of this flag legally.

This flag is a racist symbol. It represents many years of segregation and discrimination after the Jim Crow decision. The whole southern pride argument seems absolutely ludicrous. If you are proud of being a group who reduced people to the status of livestock, became a traitor to the United States Of America, and were forcibly required (a second time) to grant the most basic rights to other human beings, you are the antithesis of an American.

Of course, you have the right to fly your badge of stupidity. I will defend it because I actually do believe in the United States Constitution. To succumb to my disgust with your disregard for common decency and prohibit your rights would reduce me to your level. As many posts here have demonstrated, it is hard to rise from the low levels of Dixie--no matter how many times you loose the war.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times
Quote:

What the college did has absolutely nothing to do with people's first amendment rights.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,072,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Funny how no one can explain this southern culture. Not you, not anyone else.
Do you not believe that there are attitudes, styles, dialect, activities, music, and cuisine that is mainly specific to different geographical locations?
You haven't lived in too many places have you.
I was born and raised in California, lived in the north for a short time and have been in the south for 30 years or so... I can tell you there are definitely differences. Each of these places have their own culture and pride.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Do you not believe that there are attitudes, styles, dialect, activities, music, and cuisine that is mainly specific to different geographical locations?
You haven't lived in too many places have you.
I was born and raised in California, lived in the north for a short time and have been in the south for 30 years or so... I can tell you there are definitely differences. Each of these places have their own culture and pride.
What differences? The fried chicken is crisper in Mississippi than it is in North Dakota?

Do I believe in certain regional differences? Sure. Does that rise up to being full cultural differences? Not necessarily. And if those differences were so stark, why can't anyone answer my question?

What...people in the South are friendlier? Bull. No truth to it and even if it were true no one could prove it.

They're more religious? Than where? They love guns more? They're more patriotic? No to all of those questions.

Even the so called southern accent isn't uniform across the South.

To assert that someone in Tyler, Texas has the same heritage and culture as someone in Galax, Virginia simply because they lie below some imaginary line is asinine.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,421,463 times
Quote:
Liberals and NYU got it right this time....for a change

hanging a confed flag is akin to hanging a swastika up.

Sorry 'hate speech' does not equal 'free speech'.
In the United States, it does actually.

Most Western European countries do not have the right to hate speech. We do. If people want to reform that (and I do) that is a completely separate topic.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,096,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No, they did not secede because they wanted to own slaves, they seceded because they felt the federal government was treading on their sovereignty.

Harrier thinks that they were wrong and would have supported the Union had he lived during that period, but we need to be historically accurate in order to have an honest discussion.

The Confederate flag has been sullied because of the Civil War, but that does not give anyone the right to prevent another from exercising free speech by displaying it, just because they are offended.
yes they seceded because of slavery......because they felt they had the "Soverign" right to hold other humans in bondage and the Feds were putting a stop to it. You can exercise your right to display the flag in your personal space, once it is displayed in the public domain, such as in a window of a public university, your personal rights are superseded by the public right to not have to see his southern "burning cross" represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies