Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Unfortunately, America will probably elect another gimmick President to replace the one leaving office in two years. My money is on a lesbian next time around.
You think Hillary can win? I'm not sure she's up to the task. She looks tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Do you as a homeowner have a mortgage and deduct mortgage interest from your taxes? If yes, then you are being subsidized by non homeowners.
Yes I am a homeowner and I have a mortgage. Do you know what ATM is? Of course you don't.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes I am a homeowner and I have a mortgage. Do you know what ATM is? Of course you don't.
You don't even know that it's AMT alternative minimum tax, twice you've written ATM, which is automated teller machine.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:13 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Financial engineering, and you dont know the difference between a deductible and a subsidy?
The WSJ uses the terms tax deduction and subsidy interchangeably although technically a deduction is a type of subsidy. WSJ stands for the Wall Street Journal.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:28 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
My complaint in bold
MTA has run off, he/she knows they can no longer play words...they did it for 5 years and now, when the truth is finally here....they are scattering, like some dems in congress....

Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Semantics aside, there's not too much of a difference. Typically, govt's (especially western) subsidize specific behaviors or industries they want to encourage through the tax code.
There is a HUGE difference between a deduction, and a subsidy.. Anyone with a financial engineering background should understand that.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Do you as a homeowner have a mortgage and deduct mortgage interest from your taxes? If yes, then you are being subsidized by non homeowners.
Yes I'm a home owner, yes I receive a mortgage DEDUCTION, but thats not a dam subsidy..

in no way shape or form are you GIVING ME MONEY because I own a home

No wonder Obama got elected, so many dont know basic 101, of what appears to be ANYTHING..

Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Owning a home and having a mortgage where you deduct your interest from your taxes is a subsidy that is paid by someone else.

The Wall Street Journal will show you where owning your home takes money from SOMEONE else who does not own a home ... (http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...e-deduction/):
The U.S. tax code provides generous subsidies to housing, including deductions for home mortgage interest, property taxes and an exclusion from all or part of capital gains taxes on many sales. Many academics favor eliminating or at least scaling back many of these subsidies, particularly the mortgage-interest deduction.

Also this article will help you understand how homeowners take money from someone else(Error — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Mortgage Interest Deduction Is Among the Largest Tax Subsidies
Homeowners can currently deduct their interest payments on home mortgage balances up to $1 million from their taxable income. They also can deduct interest on home equity loans of up to $100,000. Within these caps, taxpayers can claim deductions on up to two homes. The mortgage interest deduction is part of a group of deductions known as “itemized deductions,” which also include deductions for charitable giving and state and local taxes. Taxpayers can either itemize their deductions or take the standard deduction ($6,100 for singles and $12,200 for couples in 2013). Only about one-third of filers itemize their deductions. The mortgage interest deduction is considered a “tax subsidy” because it provides a benefit to a particular group of taxpayers; it is the most costly itemized deduction and among the largest tax expenditures.
I know all about the taxcode, even better than some IRS agents.. My tax return last year was OVER 150 pages long, and when I got audited in 2010, I fought for YEARS with them, where they eventually began to try to negotiate me down from the 6+ figures they said I owed them, to finally ZERO when they finally admitted my return was correct.

Allowing people to KEEP THEIR OWN MONEY is NOT a subsidy.. ITS THEIR GOD DAM MONEY..

Give the stupidity a break.. This is why our nation is failing, this utopia thought by many on the left that the government is entitled to all of your money, and if they allow you to keep some of it, its a subsidy..

One of the stupidiest arguments I've heard repeatedly over and over and over again, and no surprise, its always lefties who make it.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
How about we make a fair trade.

Let's eliminate the home mortgage interest deduction that costs the government about $70 billion a year.

But lets also eliminate the EITC (earn income tax credit) that cost the government about 60 billion a year.

That's 130 billion in savings and can offset most of the ACA "subsidies?"

Who's game? I am.

Everyone should contribute.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
The WSJ uses the terms tax deduction and subsidy interchangeably although technically a deduction is a type of subsidy. WSJ stands for the Wall Street Journal.
I dont give a rats ass if some newspaper reporter is wrong. When the government starts to PAY ME to own homes.. its a subsidy.. until then, calling one displays more ignorance than one could ever imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies