Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

You need to learn what a subsidy is and isn't.

BTW, I have a home and don't get that, I don't qualify for that wait for it........... tax deduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 PM

7,517 posts, read 5,763,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Financial engineering, and you dont know the difference between a deductible and a subsidy?
Hey easy, liberal professors aren't that smart. Give the kiddo a break lol

Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,639 times
My complaint in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From that link:

Yes, insurance companies are cancelling policies that they can no longer sell because they don't meet the specifications of the ACA and replacing them with policies that DO meet those specifications - and the policies are comparatively priced.

What's the complaint again?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,608,247 times
Quote:
I've asked before and you have yet to provide me with an answer.. lets try a different question.

How do non home owners, give money to home owners? I've got multiple homes.. I have yet to get a check from someone else for any of them. Is there some application process I have to go through to receive one?
Do you as a homeowner have a mortgage and deduct mortgage interest from your taxes? If yes, then you are being subsidized by non homeowners.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,089,946 times
My neighbor, self employed, huge Obama supporter, couldn't wait for the ACA bill to be signed. Overly happy saying he could now have health care. When I told him that health care plans would not be free, he looked at me like I told him the biggest lie he ever heard.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,608,247 times
Quote:
A deduction, isnt free money.. Its YOUR MONEY, that they ALLOW YOU TO KEEP..

Like I said, Show me where owning a home, takes money from SOMEONE ELSE, who does not own a home..

That was YOUR claim...

Try again..
Owning a home and having a mortgage where you deduct your interest from your taxes is a subsidy that is paid by someone else.

The Wall Street Journal will show you where owning your home takes money from SOMEONE else who does not own a home ... (http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...e-deduction/):
The U.S. tax code provides generous subsidies to housing, including deductions for home mortgage interest, property taxes and an exclusion from all or part of capital gains taxes on many sales. Many academics favor eliminating or at least scaling back many of these subsidies, particularly the mortgage-interest deduction.

Also this article will help you understand how homeowners take money from someone else(http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3948):
Mortgage Interest Deduction Is Among the Largest Tax Subsidies
Homeowners can currently deduct their interest payments on home mortgage balances up to $1 million from their taxable income. They also can deduct interest on home equity loans of up to $100,000. Within these caps, taxpayers can claim deductions on up to two homes. The mortgage interest deduction is part of a group of deductions known as “itemized deductions,” which also include deductions for charitable giving and state and local taxes. Taxpayers can either itemize their deductions or take the standard deduction ($6,100 for singles and $12,200 for couples in 2013). Only about one-third of filers itemize their deductions. The mortgage interest deduction is considered a “tax subsidy” because it provides a benefit to a particular group of taxpayers; it is the most costly itemized deduction and among the largest tax expenditures.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,639 times
Dear TigerLily24

We know you are smarter than us and need to hold our hands while we read our policies and help us make life critical decisions that we are incaplable of. Its a good thing theres people like you who care so much for us ignoramuses that dont know whats good for us and that folk like you would take the time to create and enact laws to protect us from ourselves. And just so im clear about my appreciatioon for you concern we will pay what ever taxes your IRS deems fair for this care and service.

Thank You

boner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Every time I see/hear this, I wonder if anyone had any idea how many sub-prime policies people were carrying. Of course, we would often hear about them when people got cancer or some other high-cost treatment disease and their carrier dumped them, or they discovered that they weren't covered at all after years of payments.
Now, when carriers are told that they actually need to provide the coverage that people were paying for, the fact that they don't want to participate is somehow the government's fault.
Makes me wonder if this so-called coverage even existed at all anywhere other than on a piece of paper.

Seems to me that an awful lot of people were/are content to pay for garbage.

Maybe I'm crazy, but, being protected from the vagaries of one's policy holder seems like it would be a good thing.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,787,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Owning a home and having a mortgage where you deduct your interest from your taxes is a subsidy that is paid by someone else.

The Wall Street Journal will show you where owning your home takes money from SOMEONE else who does not own a home ... (http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...e-deduction/):
The U.S. tax code provides generous subsidies to housing, including deductions for home mortgage interest, property taxes and an exclusion from all or part of capital gains taxes on many sales. Many academics favor eliminating or at least scaling back many of these subsidies, particularly the mortgage-interest deduction.

Also this article will help you understand how homeowners take money from someone else(Error — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Mortgage Interest Deduction Is Among the Largest Tax Subsidies
Homeowners can currently deduct their interest payments on home mortgage balances up to $1 million from their taxable income. They also can deduct interest on home equity loans of up to $100,000. Within these caps, taxpayers can claim deductions on up to two homes. The mortgage interest deduction is part of a group of deductions known as “itemized deductions,” which also include deductions for charitable giving and state and local taxes. Taxpayers can either itemize their deductions or take the standard deduction ($6,100 for singles and $12,200 for couples in 2013). Only about one-third of filers itemize their deductions. The mortgage interest deduction is considered a “tax subsidy” because it provides a benefit to a particular group of taxpayers; it is the most costly itemized deduction and among the largest tax expenditures.
Apparently you've never been hit with the AMT. Get back to those of us who get hit with the AMT (a tax invented by the Dems to make the rich pay). The AMT disallows many deductions. It's like the government stealing back those same "subsidies" you talk about with property tax deductions and home equity loan interest deductions.

And unlike the mortgage interest "subsidy" you talk about which decreases year after year. The ACA "subsidy" grows year after year.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
For one, if you don't like the health plan the employer is offering you can switch jobs.
So I guess you have a secret closet full of jobs you'll be handing out, right? Otherwise that statement would be beyond foolish, bordering on delusional. There are millions looking for decent employment.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Apparently you've never been hit with the AMT. Get back to those of us who get hit with the AMT (a tax invented by the Dems to make the rich pay). The AMT disallows many deductions. It's like the government stealing back those same "subsidies" you talk about with property tax deductions and home equity loan interest deductions.

And unlike the mortgage interest "subsidy" you talk about which decreases year after year. The ACA "subsidy" grows year after year.
Yep, he obviously was never hit by ATM I doubt he even knows what it is. Again yes its another Democrat plan to "tax the rich" only it does not take inflation into account. If they didn't get tax relieve from Bush alot of people would have been shocked to find out that Democrats consider them rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies