Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well,the high-end purse craze has gotten out of hand...

Only among idiots. Kind of like $300 sneakers. There are morons that will pay for a useless status symbol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Only among idiots. Kind of like $300 sneakers. There are morons that will pay for a useless status symbol.
But what does this have to do with the way this woman was treated in Barney's?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:10 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But here is the question. What does any of this have to do with the way she was treated in that store? No one seems to want to answer that question.

Sure, the purchase was ridiculous, but why do people care more about the purchase, and less about how that woman was treated? What does her spending $2500 have to do with her getting treated like crap?

And this isn't a rhetorical question. An answer is required.
No one should ever been treated different based on how they look. Period.

I think the story linked in another thread said she was using a blank debit card (one with no name, although I could be confusing that with the belt guy), and that the store didn't stop her or report her. There were some undercover officers nearby when she made the purchase and they stopped her on her own.
The blank card would make me question anyone buying a $2,500 purse. If I was a store clerk, I wouldn't feel comfortable filling that purchase and would probably call a manager to complete the purchase.

We own a clothing business, and once had an out of state customer buy thousands of dollars of merchandise at a show we were doing. We did several safe guards for that purchase that we don't normally do because she was from out of state, and her buying pattern was much different that anyone else. (She basically bought everything we were pulling out of the boxes while we were setting up.) She was an older white woman.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The Earned Income Credit just reduces taxes on earned income. You don't get back more than you put in. So "in fact" anyone who reduces their taxes is spending "your" tax dollars. Why don't you go after high income earners who finds ways to reduce their taxes?

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't it a tax credit? A tax credit is "cash back" after your taxes are calculated. As opposed to a deduction, which is a reduction in your income for calculated tax purposes. EITC can and often does result in someone getting back more than they "owe" in taxes. As such, yes, it is "my" tax dollars. EITC needs to go away and be replaced with a deduction, only. NO ONE SHOULD GET WELFARE on tax day, when so many suffer to pay their taxes.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It doesn't, I was replying to the other poster's comment. The person that spent a tax return on a $2500 purse may be a moron, but that doesn't effect the store as long as they got paid.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
After reading the article, I find out this girl is prego with her 2nd child, is only 21 and is a nursing student. Where's the husband?

What she really needs is a lesson in personal finance.
She obviously has some problems with making impulse decisions, both personally and financially. She also needs to learn something about delayed gratification.

I just shake my head.
if she can afford $2500 for a purse, you might do well to figure out what she does and do some of it...

Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
After reading the article, I find out this girl is prego with her 2nd child, is only 21 and is a nursing student. Where's the husband?

What she really needs is a lesson in personal finance.
She obviously has some problems with making impulse decisions, both personally and financially. She also needs to learn something about delayed gratification.

I just shake my head.

Shake your head, because it's none of your doggone business what she does with her money. Or are you an agent of big government?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Well, the point of the thread would be if racism at this point is worse than the financial illiteracy and cultural stupidity some people exhibit which IMO is modern day self-slavery.

None of us can of course answer this question but for this young lady in particular getting badly treated by Barneys is the LEAST of her life-problems if she keeps making decisions like she has.

She returned the purse. Anyone want to bet me her mom heard about her buying a $2500 purse and went ballistic?

Lastly, is anyone else at least slightly amused that a store whose entire point is to sell items meant to create airs of exclusivity is being called out for practicing that? Shallow, judgmental materialism gee..... anybody shocked that people that subscribe to this thinking would be prone to negative views of others by class, race etc?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Shake your head, because it's none of your doggone business what she does with her money. Or are you an agent of big government?
It's a public news topic so she is free to do what she likes and we are free to comment that she is making some poor choices.

We aren't suggesting that she not be allowed to buy it or that she be forced to return it.

You can't tell me you haven't seen some news story and commented that the person in it was being dumb.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
barneys has been destroyed by this. there facebook has a steady stream of complaints and they are hiring some civil rights guy to make sure this doesnt happen again.

the big shoe to drop will be with jay z . if he removes himself from the holiday campaign (which he should) then the pressure really gets on them.

barneys has a problem with there system of methods. the structure needs to change, and will change now.

barneys cant afford being labeled as a place where black money isnt welcomed.

blacks tend to be more loyal customers then whites and no sane business is going to get rid of a 1.1 trillion black buying market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies