Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am sorry for your terrible experience.

I think many of us are going to be doing more "at home care" and using natural methods and self-medicating. The sad part is - for those with a budget that is going to be really impacted by having to purchase insurance . . . folks won't even go to the doc despite having insurance b/c the deductible is so high. So it is all out of pocket anyway.
That is one of the issues I see. The bronze is low cost but high for the co-pays, I saw the same junk insurance at the last place I worked. Likely I would have gotten dropped at the end of the year because it looked like one of the "swiss cheese" plans that are being blamed for people being dropped by the Obama admin and the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is one of the issues I see. The bronze is low cost but high for the co-pays, I saw the same junk insurance at the last place I worked. Likely I would have gotten dropped at the end of the year because it looked like one of the "swiss cheese" plans that are being blamed for people being dropped by the Obama admin and the left.
YES! Swiss Cheese plan . . . the worst policies I have seen in the last few weeks are the Bronze plans.

Required to buy SOMETHING . . . yet it isn't going to help people at all (unless perhaps with something catastrophic - like a stroke and months of rehab, I guess)

But people will still have to come up with that first $5000 or so (whatever the deductible is for their plan) . . . plus the monthly premiums.

I don't get how this is helping people on budgets who have never bought health insurance in the past b/c they couldn't afford it.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 PM

775 posts, read 1,258,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How on earth did you ever get the idea that the AFFORDABLE Health Care Act read "FREE" Health Care Act? Don't blame the administration because you can't process language any better than that.
Its called sarcasm.

And there are plenty of folks out there who thought this, their mortgage and even gas woud be paid for...with all that ObamaMoney.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Quote:
Just wondering where it is.

I thought that is what Candidate Obama promised when he got elected.

Free Healthcare.

So where is it. I went to the ACA website and I have to pay.

ACA is for Affordable Care ACT

You need to go to the FCA website for the Free Care Act

Here it is: Medicaid Home | Medicaid.gov

but if you do not qualify then you go here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/29/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
YES! Swiss Cheese plan . . . the worst policies I have seen in the last few weeks are the Bronze plans.

Required to buy SOMETHING . . . yet it isn't going to help people at all (unless perhaps with something catastrophic - like a stroke and months of rehab, I guess)

But people will still have to come up with that first $5000 or so (whatever the deductible is for their plan) . . . plus the monthly premiums.

I don't get how this is helping people on budgets who have never bought health insurance in the past b/c they couldn't afford it.
Because they get subsidies in the form of tax credits. That's all I got...

Old 10-31-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Because they get subsidies in the form of tax credits. That's all I got...
So that reduces the amount you actually pay every month? Or that means you get a tax credit when you submit your tax returns?

Big difference in coming up with $600 a month as opposed to $200 a month.

I have never checked out anything about the subsidies, other than looking at the qualification chart. It never occurred to me that this would be something to actually reduce how much you write that check out for every month.

I hope I incorrectly made that assumption. But a credit sounds like something that is credited on your tax returns. Sure hope I am wrong.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Quote:
So that reduces the amount you actually pay every month? Or that means you get a tax credit when you submit your tax returns?

I have never checked out anything about the subsidies, other than looking at the qualification chart. It never occurred to me that this would be something to actually reduce how much you write that check out for every month.

I hope I incorrectly made that assumption. But a credit sounds like something that is credited on your tax returns. Sure hope I am wrong.
I was assuming they would write the check for the "full monthly premium" then basically be rebated the money at tax time as a credit on the 1040. Was I wrong?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I was assuming they would write the check for the "full monthly premium" then basically be rebated the money at tax time as a credit on the 1040. Was I wrong?
What you are thinking is what I was assuming, as well.

That isn't much help (a rebate) as far as monthly budgets when folks are scraping by.

I just got on my state's website and a Silver plan for me alone (not my husband or any children included) would be around $640. The gold plan was closer about $900 a month!!!

I don't care what the rebate is . . . coming up with $640 a month is hard and $900 is crazy.

It would be even more for a family plan.

Currently, my monthly premium is right at $320/month, for a family plan. So that would be double, for a plan that sucks compared to my current plan. Even the Gold plan for $900 a month is lousy compared to my current plan.

Unreal.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:

The subsidy reduces the amount you pay each month.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Quote:

Currently, my monthly premium is right at $320/month, for a family plan. So that would be double, for a plan that sucks compared to my current plan. Even the Gold plan for $900 a month is lousy compared to my current plan.

Unreal.

You're going to take it and you're going to like it.

Signed,
Obama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies