Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I wonder how long it took for her to realize that not only is she still going to pay for her mortgage and gas but now she has the added expense of health insurance she is forced to buy.

We will see how happy she is after those revelations.

What a tool.
If she is working she will figure out that Obama prefers leaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am okay with my taxes to go to our safety net systems because I have needed those safety nets in my life before, as have most Americans.
I am NOT okay with paying taxes for thousands of "safety net" programs, because neither I nor ANYONE in my family have EVER received a single penny from ANY of them--despite all of us spending most of our lives dirt-poor.

And I am NOT okay with only $36 of every $1000 I send to Washington actually going to help any Americans via "safety net" programs.

The federal budgets are remarkably consistent no matter which Party is in power: only 12% of federal income tax dollars go to "safety net" programs (Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities). This means that if you send $1,000 in federal income tax to Washington, only $120 of the $1,000 will go to safety net programs.

But then there's the personnel and overhead cost of running those programs (for example, the Executives and Managers of each program will be very well compensated indeed): “70 cents of each dollar budgeted goes not to the poor, but to the members of the welfare bureaucracy and others serving the poor” (http://mises.org/journals/jls/21_2/21_2_1.pdf ). So take $84 away from your $120 contribution for safety net program overhead: that leaves $36 actually distributed to the “needy" for every $1,000 taken out of your paycheck and sent to Washington.

Let's put that another way: for every $1,000 Washington confiscates from you in income tax, only $36 gets sent to some needy person. The other $964 goes to government workers and their generous benefits; the lavish lifestyles of the political elite and their entourages; foreign wars and foreign aid, bureaucracy, pork, corruption, waste, and payback for campaign contributions, stimulus and bailouts for the ultra-wealthy, corporate welfare and kickbacks, etc. etc.

If you really want to help the needy, look up which charities spend almost nothing on overhead (Charities Under 1% Overhead, for example). Some spend less than 1%! You'd do FAR more good donating $50 to a legitimate charity, than sending $1,000 to Washington.

Those of you who support Big Government because you think you're being generous, WAKE UP! You're simply being TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF by people who couldn't despise you more.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I am NOT okay with paying taxes for thousands of "safety net" programs, because neither I nor ANYONE in my family have EVER received a single penny from ANY of them--despite all of us spending most of our lives dirt-poor.

And I am NOT okay with only $36 of every $1000 I send to Washington actually going to help any Americans via "safety net" programs.

The federal budgets are remarkably consistent no matter which Party is in power: only 12% of federal income tax dollars go to "safety net" programs (Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities). This means that if you send $1,000 in federal income tax to Washington, only $120 of the $1,000 will go to safety net programs.

But then there's the personnel and overhead cost of running those programs (for example, the Executives and Managers of each program will be very well compensated indeed): “70 cents of each dollar budgeted goes not to the poor, but to the members of the welfare bureaucracy and others serving the poor” (http://mises.org/journals/jls/21_2/21_2_1.pdf ). So take $84 away from your $120 contribution for safety net program overhead: that leaves $36 actually distributed to the “needy" for every $1,000 taken out of your paycheck and sent to Washington.

Let's put that another way: for every $1,000 Washington confiscates from you in income tax, only $36 gets sent to some needy person. The other $964 goes to government workers and their generous benefits; the lavish lifestyles of the political elite and their entourages; foreign wars and foreign aid, bureaucracy, pork, corruption, waste, and payback for campaign contributions, stimulus and bailouts for the ultra-wealthy, corporate welfare and kickbacks, etc. etc.

If you really want to help the needy, look up which charities spend almost nothing on overhead (Charities Under 1% Overhead, for example). Some spend less than 1%! You'd do FAR more good donating $50 to a legitimate charity, than sending $1,000 to Washington.

Those of you who support Big Government because you think you're being generous, WAKE UP! You're simply being TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF by people who couldn't despise you more.
Agree. Big government is always a money drain. Layers of bureaucracy creates jobs. Parasitic.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I never heard that offer. I think only stupid people thought that.
Would those be the same people who voted for Obama because they thought, and said when interviewed by a reporter, that Obama was going to help pay their mortgage and put gas in their cars? Yep, I believe you are correct.

The fact is, ChristineVA, there ARE people out there who think they are getting free healthcare. Do you spend any time on any other place on the internet besides CD? If you had, you would have seen that all over the place.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
no no, not "poor elites" the term you want is "lucky ducks".
They make their own luck, yes. 80% of millionaires are first-generation wealthy. They amassed their wealth on their own:
The Millionaire Next Door

Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They make their own luck, yes. 80% of millionaires are first-generation wealthy. They amassed their wealth on their own:
Now, now. You know they didn't actually do it ON THEIR OWN! They had a helping hand. They just THINK they did it on their own.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:29 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Now, now. You know they didn't actually do it ON THEIR OWN! They had a helping hand. They just THINK they did it on their own.
So if that is what you believe why didn't they help you?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:30 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Really? You're going to post this again?

1: the book was written on studies done 23 years ago.
2: a millionaire barely gets you into the top 20%. Move it up a notch. A million is nothing.
3: The methods mentioned in the book actually involve having some disposable income. Great for those in the top 40%...not so great for the majority
4: Those people in the 1990's who were interviewed generally had very inexpensive college available to them, something that has changed.
5: Yes, and many like Romney did it on their own.....well that is if you dont count the stock and stuff he used to fund it.
6: in the 1990 (especially evident if you read the book) there was a ton of people becoming millionaires as a result of stock prices.
7: Lets say in 1999 your parents passed away. you inherit a 500K house. Congratulations, in 2006 you were a millionaire, and first generation wealthy.

I could go on.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So if that is what you believe why didn't they help you?
I was being facetious, lol.

No helping hands have ever intervened for me. What I have done, was on my own. I didn't even get a loan for college - I worked to pay my way while still a student.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? You're going to post this again?

1: the book was written on studies done 23 years ago.
2: a millionaire barely gets you into the top 20%. Move it up a notch. A million is nothing.
3: The methods mentioned in the book actually involve having some disposable income. Great for those in the top 40%...not so great for the majority
4: Those people in the 1990's who were interviewed generally had very inexpensive college available to them, something that has changed.
5: Yes, and many like Romney did it on their own.....well that is if you dont count the stock and stuff he used to fund it.
6: in the 1990 (especially evident if you read the book) there was a ton of people becoming millionaires as a result of stock prices.
7: Lets say in 1999 your parents passed away. you inherit a 500K house. Congratulations, in 2006 you were a millionaire, and first generation wealthy.

I could go on.

WIth compound interest, if you start at 25 and put money away every paycheck, you can be a millionaire when you retire, but honestly . . . that isn't going to be chicken feed as far as value in 40 years.

Being a millionaire doesn't mean much unless it is several million $$$ and in the right investment products.

But I digress.

I want my free healthcare!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies