Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times

Advertisements

Poor people who mostly rely on government assistance, who dont work, dont work much, etc. How does this work for them regarding health care? Do they get it for next to nothing, or for free if thats all they can afford? Reason I ask is, if so, arent we creating yet another entitlement and incentive for some to continue doing nothing with their lives, while having everyone else pay for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Depends on your definition of poor. Also depends on if you are in opt in state.

Last depends if you are adult without kids poor.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Poor people who mostly rely on government assistance, who dont work, dont work much, etc. How does this work for them regarding health care? Do they get it for next to nothing, or for free if thats all they can afford? Reason I ask is, if so, arent we creating yet another entitlement and incentive for some to continue doing nothing with their lives, while having everyone else pay for it?
It expands Medicaid, in states that do, and provides tax credits for purchasing insurance up to 400% of the poverty rate.

Obamacare fills in the gaps that Medicaid, SCHIP, and Medicare didn't. That's what the GOP is afraid of.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 PM

46,317 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
It expands Medicaid, in states that do, and provides tax credits for purchasing insurance up to 400% of the poverty rate.

Obamacare fills in the gaps that Medicaid, SCHIP, and Medicare didn't. That's what the GOP is afraid of.
Is that before or after the people who are currently losing their insurance and wht about the 30,000,000 who will still not have insurance?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
The scenario you present is the reason i'm grateful that so many State's opted not to expand Medicaid. If a person is disabled, let them get a disability rating from Social Security and get their medical needs tended to through normal Medicaid routes. But if the person is an able-bodied, working adult who is not working in any capacity and has not held a job in years (there are millions of these people) but instead game the system, I say let them rot. There are certain responsibilities that come from being a human, and an American. One of those responsibilities is to provide for yourself. In America, that happens to mean buying insurance. If a person's priorities are such that they don't factor in the basics of taking care of themselves, then I see no reason for anyone else to take those measures for them.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Is that before or after the people who are currently losing their insurance and wht about the 30,000,000 who will still not have insurance?
Those who "lose" their insurance don't have insurance anymore?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The scenario you present is the reason i'm grateful that so many State's opted not to expand Medicaid. If a person is disabled, let them get a disability rating from Social Security and get their medical needs tended to through normal Medicaid routes. But if the person is an able-bodied, working adult who is not working in any capacity and has not held a job in years (there are millions of these people) but instead game the system, I say let them rot. There are certain responsibilities that come from being a human, and an American. One of those responsibilities is to provide for yourself. In America, that happens to mean buying insurance. If a person's priorities are such that they don't factor in the basics of taking care of themselves, then I see no reason for anyone else to take those measures for them.
Exactly my point. What in the world sense does it make to keep on expanding the hand outs? Half this country receives hands out yet how many of them are doing nothing to try and better their lives? I bet a good portion of em. The government wants to take and give take and give, yet there is nothing there to provide incentive. The worst part is that these people are allowed to vote. They pay no taxes, have no skin in the game except their hand outs. They shouldnt be allowed to vote, period. You either work your butt off like many of us middle class folk or you dont and get no option of voting. And these are the type of people who Democrats especially, target during voting season. "Victims", the poor, people who rely on government like a little child yet are capable of getting off their rear end. Im sick of helping subsidize half this country! Im sick of a good portion of the money I EARNED, getting taken away for more government bull ****. I earned that damn money, I should keep more of it. I should be the one to decide which charity I chose to give to, not be forced to give to receivers of the nanny state. Seems to me, liberals especially dont want to do more personally for the poor, the "victims" as they view them. They just want the government to do it. And then there are those that truly believe its a great thing, yet for whatever reason, dont understand that this makes nothing better. This monumental waste of tax dollars doesnt fix anything, it doesnt provide incentive. It keeps the poor poor.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:

I dont think this whole thing is going to work out like you think.....or maybe it will and thats part of the problem. More incentive for able bodied to do nothing.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I dont think this whole thing is going to work out like you think.....or maybe it will and thats part of the problem. More incentive for able bodied to do nothing.
Having health insurance is an incentive to do nothing?

That's a strange theory.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Having health insurance is an incentive to do nothing?

That's a strange theory.
You know what I meant. It will be yet another hand out on top of others. Hell, why work. You're provided everything you need, all on the backs of others. Where does it end? How exactly has welfare and the like actually improved things? It hasnt. We continue to take more from hard workers and give more to non-workers or hardly ever workers, while creating even more programs. It isnt working. The government is not supposed to be in that business. Let people keep more of the money they earn, and let charities handle helping the poor. Let these multi-billion/million dollar liberal/non-liberal companies/people give/do more. The government has been doing way too much than it was ever intended and its a scam job against the middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies