Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I wonder what would happen if a homeless atheist showed up at the Christian soup kitchen?
Do they make them pray?

I'm just asking,I'm not taking sides.
Yes, often they do require praying or listening to them proselytize - one of the reasons I've heard homeless people around here say they won't visit certain shelters or food banks.

This is why I always shake my head when people (mostly conservatives) claim private charities and religious groups should be the only ones handling welfare, food for the poor, etc. If they can turn away Atheist HELPERS for being non-Christian, who knows what would happen to non-Christian people in need? While I'm not generally a fan of "big government," at least government-subsidized welfare/assistance cannot discriminate in this manner.

P.S. I've been involved with a number of Jewish charities in my life, and not once have I witnessed them turning away volunteers for being non-Jewish. I'm more of an Atheist myself, in fact.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Soup kitchens have handed out a big dish of Jesus on the side as long as there have been soup kitchens.

Sleeping in a warm, safe dry place almost always comes with a sermon, too. The poorest of the poor have always been easy pickings for Christians who offer only conditional succor. "Non-christian? No soup for you!"

Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM

26,457 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The journalists covered the story. They definitely want more news blame them. Why assume the atheists are seeking attention? What's with all these conspiracy theories?
Huh?

I clearly didn't say they were seeking attention. I said they wanted conflict. Why show up to a Christian charity wearing shirts explaining why there is no God - get sent away and then come back for a 2nd time.

What purpose does that solve other than trying to shut down the Christian message of the charity?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM

26,457 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
It would be the same story, as Muslims are just as stupid as Christians
I don't think it would be the same story. Liberals would be torn on which group to defend. I've seen liberals defend Muslim prayer breaks in a big city school (Dearborn, MI) but attack Wednesday Mass for Catholics in a small town of a couple hundred in the wilderness of MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies