Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We don't do any of the above - your statement above is, well ...bogus
I am living it, you can call it bogus but I know 2 families including my own where parents in their 50's and 60's have been forced to sell their homes and downgrade due to their health needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I am living it, you can call it bogus but I know 2 families including my own where parents in their 50's and 60's have been forced to sell their homes and downgrade due to their health needs.
Sorry -but, does not need to happen -

Old 11-23-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Same thing - they have their clinics, in the same facilities. You are treated with dignity, care and respect.
Oh really? Please find me one in Florida, my mother has been to them all. They are hardly quality and what they do is, nickel and dime you, put on waiting lists for treatment...

Old 11-23-2007, 09:01 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Not being able to pay for it, is denial.

Should we as Americans really force our poor and elderly to sell their houses, liquidate assets and live with their children in order to be treated?
How is that?
You receive the care and you can arrange to make payments.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Oh really? Please find me one in Florida, my mother has been to them all. They are hardly quality and what they do is, nickel and dime you, put on waiting lists for treatment...
Ummm,as has been shown,a person would receive the same under a national health system.

Unless you purchase private health insurance ON TOP OF the money you pay in to the national system.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How is that?
You receive the care and you can arrange to make payments.
Sounds easy doesn't it?

Until you need to make payments on something that is 4000.00 a month, and you bring in 2000.00 a month. Listen my mother has gone through this for the last 7 years. Making payments doesn't work.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
My grandmother has relatives out in rural, small-town Oklahoma and she knows of poeple who had a heart attack and the hospital basicly refused to treat them because they didn't have insurance, and they were the only hospital in miles. It happens. You won't find John Stossel or other right wing apologists talking about it, though. Because that would be acknowledging that our healthcare system is broken

Old 11-23-2007, 09:11 AM

So treatment was received and now the issue is paying for it?

Realistically what is going to happen if she doesn't pay?

Old 11-23-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So treatment was received and now the issue is paying for it?

Realistically what is going to happen if she doesn't pay?
In the case of my mother, she had to take money out of her 401k to pay for health costs, government considers her "not poor".

Basically hospitals and Doctors said they cannot take her anymore because the Doctor is not getting paid. They advised her to get better health insurance or find a way for the government to fund it (basically become low income and file for medicaid).

My mother and father have already made plans to work until they're 70, they can't afford to stop working. This has forced me and my wife to put money away to help them, because we know they will need it, plus we have to fund our own children.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
In the case of my mother, she had to take money out of her 401k to pay for health costs, government considers her "not poor".

Basically hospitals and Doctors said they cannot take her anymore because the Doctor is not getting paid. They advised her to get better health insurance or find a way for the government to fund it (basically become low income and file for medicaid).

My mother and father have already made plans to work until they're 70, they can't afford to stop working. This has forced me and my wife to put money away to help them, because we know they will need it.
I would take the Doctor's advice and become 'poor'....

As to working until they are 70,you should sit down and ask them WHY?

To be brutaly honest older people seem to forget what they are working for and even if they NEVER pay the hospital bills what will happen?

Will they get bad credit?
Will they lose their home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies