Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 06:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The point is that healthcare is a basic human right in a civilised society and that health problems and terminal illnesses occur without the patient being responsible for them. I was one of the healthiest fittest , person I knew with good genes and I still got Leukaemia. It was not my fault and had nothing to do with my lifestyle or wasteful ways.

A society which does not look after its most vulnerable members is nothing short of Barbaric.
I must tell you - NO ONE, NO ONE, is denied quality healthcare in the United States. NO ONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Whenever someone post like above, I feel the need to point out that regardless of the type of healthcare system, nothing will prevent someone from "losing" everything if they get sick and lose their income. So many people live "paycheck to paycheck" (even with fully employer paid healthcare) that if they get really sick and cannot work, even though their medical bills may get paid - their car, stereo, rent etc won't

Perhaps the problem is not as much the cost of health insurance but, people living beyond their means!
Great post Great Day!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:06 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Health care is not a basic right according to our U.S. Constitution. I don't know about other countries.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:14 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
British traditionally had "bad teeth" because they weren't vain about their appearance, not because they were poor so much. Plus, alot of England did not have flouridated water. England is still in many ways a class-based society (classes being based on heredity or nobility, not necessarily money- lots of upper-class people living in "genteel poverty"), and class trumps wealth. The upper-class people don't need to flaunt their wealth, unlike the US.

In the US people get denied healthcare all the time because they are uninsured. It happens. Hospitals will turn people away or deny they have a health problem, anything to avoid footing the bill. The law (created in the 80's BTW) saying that hospitals have to treat regardless of ability to pay, is rarely enforced and poor people rarely have the means to appeal a decision by a hospital. The "emergency room as healthcare of last resort" doesn't work with chronic conditions.
My mom knows two people who have had about a million dollars worth of care each from the local county hospital. One had a kidney transplant after years of treatment for kidney cancer...both kidneys were removed and she had five years of dialysis before even getting on the transplant list, since she had to stay cancer-free. The other had breast cancer; radiation and chemo were all paid for by the taxpayers. Both women had had pretty hard luck in their lives and couldn't afford insurance. These are the people who county hospitals are designed for, and I don't complain about paying taxes to fund their care. I think healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
USATODAY.com - 18,000 deaths blamed on lack of insurance

Old 11-23-2007, 07:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
I must tell you - NO ONE, NO ONE, is denied quality healthcare in the United States. NO ONE
If they can't afford it yes they are. I met those people when living in the US ( 3 years). If you can't afford to pay for health insurance then you will not get treatment.

Wake up and smell the putrid smell of death, and ill health.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If they can't afford it yes they are. I met those people when living in the US ( 3 years). If you can't afford to pay for health insurance then you will not get treatment.

Wake up and smell the putrid smell of death, and ill health.
TREATMENT IS NOT DENIED - EVER!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
I think some are confusing people choosing to NOT go to the hospital with being denied care...

Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I think some are confusing people choosing to NOT go to the hospital with being denied care...
Bingo!! A "Gold" star for you !

Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
TREATMENT IS NOT DENIED - EVER!
Doctors want their money though, who are they going to get it from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies