Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:59 PM

397 posts, read 262,665 times

Advertisements

Do any other countries have Insurance companies running the health care system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,797,551 times
I know that nations with national healthcare systems also have private health insurance companies.

You know for those people who don't want to die waiting for treatment.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 AM

327 posts, read 752,552 times
That hilarious.

Everything I've read when it comes to other counties heath care systems (such as Canada) is that people with life threatening situations are treated right away.

This "people dying while waiting on treatment" sounds like nothing but pure dittohead nonsense to me.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
That hilarious.

Everything I've read when it comes to other counties heath care systems (such as Canada) is that people with life threatening situations are treated right away.

This "people dying while waiting on treatment" sounds like nothing but pure dittohead nonsense to me.
I would try reading more.

By the way,if the service is so good in nations with national healthcare,why does private health insurance exist?

Why would anyone need it?

Hmmmm.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,596,099 times
Well, the US life expectancy is shorter than just about every other developed nation. But I've been told that is entirely due to 'other factors'...

Old 11-21-2007, 08:29 AM

Scotsman.com News - Health of the NHS - Wife gets apology over dying cancer patient's 8-month wait to see doctor

Dying nurse sues NHS for denying her cancer drug | UK News | The Observer (broken link)

Cancer sufferer battling to receive NHS treatment

Life expectancy in the USA-78.2 years.
Life expectancy in Japan(No.1)-82.6 years.

Lordy I can see how that is simply terrible,less than four years difference...

To add,Australia is an industrialised nation and is below the USA AND has a nationalised healthcare system.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:49 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,596,099 times
I've never really understood the point of taking the flaws of a different nation's health care system and insisting that those flaws would have to be implemented in any reformed US system. Why would we implement the same flaws? Isn't the point of reform that we learn from the mistakes of ourselves and others in the past?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 AM

I can't see how anyone would think the federal government would do a good job of providng healthcare...

Do you think the federal gov. is doing a good job running FEMA?

How about the DOD?Does it have a lot of overruns and wasteful spending?

What about the FDA,have drugs ever gotten through that have fatal side effects?

By the way,the NHS was held up as the model of success by those in favor of a national health system...

Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,401,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I would try reading more.

By the way,if the service is so good in nations with national healthcare,why does private health insurance exist?

Why would anyone need it?

Hmmmm.
It exists because in some countries, such as Germany, you pay a percentage of your wages into the health fund. If you make over a certain amount, you can opt out and purchase private insurance. Employers and Employee both contribute equal amounts. Also if you are self employed you can purchase private insurance. No one dies waiting for care there

Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,401,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Scotsman.com News - Health of the NHS - Wife gets apology over dying cancer patient's 8-month wait to see doctor

Dying nurse sues NHS for denying her cancer drug | UK News | The Observer (broken link)

Cancer sufferer battling to receive NHS treatment

Life expectancy in the USA-78.2 years.
Life expectancy in Japan(No.1)-82.6 years.

Lordy I can see how that is simply terrible,less than four years difference...

To add,Australia is an industrialised nation and is below the USA AND has a nationalised healthcare system.
sheesh, and how many people die in the US, because they have no insurance and so don't go for check ups or see a doctor until it's so bad they can't ignore it. Maybe that is why the life expectancy in this country is lower than other industrialized nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies