Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:56 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Oh, sure it is. That's okay with me, though. As I've said, I'm not an ideologue. I'm totally down with anything that even attempts to curb the sale of addictive poisons. Now, about this gun: real or drama-queen hyperbole?
I'm sure there have been a few who only wanted to smoke a little weed that ended up with a gun held to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,279,735 times
I can't imagine what you're getting at.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,990,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Oh, sure it is. That's okay with me, though. As I've said, I'm not an ideologue. I'm totally down with anything that even attempts to curb the sale of addictive poisons. Now, about this gun: real or drama-queen hyperbole?
But it's up to the people whether they want to buy this stuff. What makes you the parent over everyone else such that you can dictate that Joe Blow cannot smoke?
I agree it's a stupid and toxic habit but, as long as people aren't smoking near me (thus affecting me), I really don't see where I have a say over it.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 5,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why not jack it 26, seeing as how thats how long they can stay on mommy and daddys insurance.
Government is all about prolonging adolescence and promoting dependence.
Most under 26 year olds are not adults, that is a scientific fact.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
If you are old enough to go to war and old enough to vote you're old enough to buy and consume anything other adults can. Period.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-14-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
And then, as revenue decreases from cigarette taxes because of these new restrictions, the Council will turn to increasing some other form of tax.

Unnecessary.
You'd have to be nuts to buy cigarettes in NYC to begin with, it's something like $120 per carton. PA is short drive and you can buy carton for half that. You could buy roll you own tobacco and the tubes for about $15 per carton. I'd imagine the black market for cigarettes is booming in NYC, that has potential for illegal drug money.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM

30,223 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I call bull..this isn't going to save one life. It's nothing more than a feel good law.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

mokers younger than 21 in the nation's biggest city will soon be barred from buying cigarettes after the New York City Council voted overwhelming Wednesday to raise the tobacco-purchasing age to higher than all but a few other places in the United States.

City lawmakers approved the bill — which raises from 18 to 21 the purchasing age for cigarettes, certain tobacco products and even electronic-vapor smokes — and another that sets minimum prices for tobacco cigarettes and steps up law enforcement on illegal tobacco sales.

"This will literally save many, many lives," said an emotional City Councilman James Gennaro, the bill's sponsor, whose mother and father died from tobacco-related illnesses. "I've lived with it, I've seen it...but I feel good today."

NYC council votes to raise cigarette-buying age to 21 | Fox News
That is not going to save any lives, what a load of crap. And they banned vaping, as well? LOL, well, I hope those young libs who like to vape learn a lesson.

But here we are again, they are old enough to vote, old enough to go to war and die for their country, but they aren't old enough to have a cigarette. Sigh...fricken NY, it's becoming worse than CA.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I'm also very liberal, and completely disagree with this. I mean, come on?!! But, I also believe the drinking age should be 18. We all know people shouldn't smoke, but all the laws on the books aren't going to stop people from making bad decisions. So what. I'm so tired of the Gov't, etc., acting as they all know what's best for everyone. How about they just try to balance the budget?
You, and seattlenextyear, are making me proud today. I agree with you, completely.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Sure it will. MOST kids take up smoking at a young age due to peer pressure from their friends and to seem "cool". I bet most would never take up the habit if they waited until they were adults.

How many work hours are wasted due to employees running outside to get their disgusting "fix".
Wrong. I never became a smoker until I was an adult. I know a few other people who were the same. Heck, I knew one guy in college who didn't start until he was 26. There goes that theory.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 PM

9 posts, read 5,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are old enough to go to war and old enough to vote you're old enough to buy and consume anything other adults can. Period.
That line was made back when the draft was still in effect. Under 26 year olds shouldn't be put on the front lines and voting should be 16, tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies