Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:45 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
as you are free to post, I am free to reply. I am also free to tell you that your opinion means nothing, because you don't live in this country.
I'm very keen to learn why living in the US lends your opinion merit. And why the fact that you're a right winger doesn't mean it should be dismissed out of hand as tripe. How does geography transform your opinion from whiny right-wing garbage to something worth knowing? Does waving your little flag cast a magic spell or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I call bull..this isn't going to save one life. It's nothing more than a feel good law.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

mokers younger than 21 in the nation's biggest city will soon be barred from buying cigarettes after the New York City Council voted overwhelming Wednesday to raise the tobacco-purchasing age to higher than all but a few other places in the United States.

City lawmakers approved the bill — which raises from 18 to 21 the purchasing age for cigarettes, certain tobacco products and even electronic-vapor smokes — and another that sets minimum prices for tobacco cigarettes and steps up law enforcement on illegal tobacco sales.

"This will literally save many, many lives," said an emotional City Councilman James Gennaro, the bill's sponsor, whose mother and father died from tobacco-related illnesses. "I've lived with it, I've seen it...but I feel good today."

NYC council votes to raise cigarette-buying age to 21 | Fox News

Sure it will. MOST kids take up smoking at a young age due to peer pressure from their friends and to seem "cool". I bet most would never take up the habit if they waited until they were adults.

How many work hours are wasted due to employees running outside to get their disgusting "fix".

Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
It will take years for it to work, and who knows how well? Can't hurt, though.
The reduction of liberty at the barrel of a gun ALWAYS hurts.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:19 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Dumb law. But honestly, who smokes or takes up smoking these days anyway?

More importantly, what kind of stupid young person takes up smoking in 2013? As if we haven't been bombarded with the hazards and effects of smoking since pre-school!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Sure it will. MOST kids take up smoking at a young age due to peer pressure from their friends and to seem "cool". I bet most would never take up the habit if they waited until they were adults.
They aren't buying cigarette's legally at this age either so how does raising the legal age stop this?

Quote:
How many work hours are wasted due to employees running outside to get their disgusting "fix".
Probably less than surfing the internet.

I also think smoking is vile and disgusting. I would rather sit next to someone farting than smoking but it's not my place to stop others from their disgusting habit's when it doesn't affect me. Most places I go people can't smoke. It's why they have to go outside. It's not hard for me to avoid smoking areas.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They aren't buying cigarette's legally at this age either so how does raising the legal age stop this?

People selling or providing cigarrettes to underage people will be fined thousands of dollars and people charged the same as when providing alchohol to kids. A lot of corner bodegas will think twice about trying to make a quick buck serving minors.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The mayor never proposed banning large sugary drinks. Good grief, a 16 0z cup of sugar water IS a large sugary drink and if his proposal had passed you would`ve still been able to buy an unlimited number of these large sugary drinks. Jeezus, the things that people find to whine about.
If as you suggest the proposed ban doesn't stop anyone from consuming sugary drinks why pass it all?

Passing laws that do not make a difference is simply a waste of energy.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
People selling or providing cigarrettes to underage people will be fined thousands of dollars and people charged the same as when providing alchohol to kids. A lot of corner bodegas will think twice about trying to make a quick buck serving minors.
If that was the case minors wouldn't be getting alcohol today. They clearly are just as much as they ever did in the past.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
This far left non smoking liberal thinks that raising the cigarette buying age to 21 is going too far.
Haha, and this far left smoking liberal thinks it's a good idea too.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
no, not really. it'd be much better off if there were actually state's rights.
Well, for the most part there are. Still, we obviously need an overarching legal framework that sets certain standards to ensure that we remain the UNITED states of America rather than the Collaborating States of America.

Alas, I would like government to step out of my personal life and let me do what I want as long as I don't hurt or harm anybody else or their property.

While we are at it, how about we finally pass laws that places the responsibility of dumb decisions on the person making this decision rather than on the person or entity who owns the property on which a dumb decision was carried out?

You know, if you climb a railing and fall 20 feet down onto concrete, the responsibility should be with you, not the guy who owns the fence and didn't install a sign that says "Danger - Don't climb this fence."

Alas, we can't have that. We are a nation that looks to place responsibility for our own bad behaviors and decisions firmly with somebody else. No wonder we pass laws that take decisions away from people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies