Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yes 8 year old girls are sooooooooooo scary and soooooooooo threatening to a police officer that said officer should assault her. lols.

He shoulda grabbed the knife from her. It aint that hard.
she already stabbed herself with the knife. Tasing paralyses the muscles and makes the average person immobile. Except for heart patients, it's relatively harmless with no lasting side effects.
To eliminate the threat to the child from re-stabbing herself and the possibility of injuring the police or the parents tasing was the wisest course of action IMO.

I'll bet she uses a different method of attracting attention for her psychological problems in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yes 8 year old girls are sooooooooooo scary and soooooooooo threatening to a police officer that said officer should assault her. lols.

He shoulda grabbed the knife from her. It aint that hard.
Yeah, and possibly sliced his hand open. Or the girl's chest. Or risk having her stab herself before he could get to her. Or maybe the headline would be "cop roughs up 8-year-old girl" and all you armchair Barney Fifes could have really had a field day.

Instead, an armed kid was disarmed without injury to anyone. So what's the problem here?

Old 10-31-2013, 06:27 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
In my opinion, that police officer is a hero.

He saved that girl's life!

Obviously the girl was serious about committing suicide since she stabbed herself in the leg.

And the policeman must have felt there was no better option at the time.

My feeling is the parents should be questioned by Child Protective Services to see if they are fit to be parents.

I can only imagine how bad things must be for the girl that she wanted to commit suicide at just 8 years old?

From the article:

Quote:
Tasers are for grown adults, no 8-year-old girls,” said the girl’s father, Bobby Jones. “They say it was for her own safety but there is no justification for that.”

So are 4 1/2" knives!

But the father probably obviously doesn't want to accept the blame for raising a daughter who at 8 years old, felt the need to take her own life.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
In the time he took to move towards her, she could have easily stabbed herself. Tasering makes sense in this case. It rendered her IMMEDIATELY unable to harm herself without actually harming her.
Totally agree. Those darts immobilized her in a spit second, before she could react and stab herself.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The idea is not to have anyone sustain "damage". The police officer could have told the parents..."this is not my job to give your daughter mental health care". "Call a mental heath professional".

Would that be OK with you. For the parents to call a crisis center and go with their recommendations?
This is what the police did concerning calls about the guy who ended up shooting the Naval yard. I agree that what happened here isn't real clear as far as right or wrong goes. It is their job to do something though.

I would have as noted above took the knife away if it had been my daughter.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:57 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
South Dakota? I'm surprised the parents didn't have a whoop ass sized can of bear spray around, that would have done the trick.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Cops are scared of their own shadows! Heavily armed & armored thugs that can't handle any situation without a taser or deadly force! Bunch of chicken****s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What's even less surprising is to see the trite, kneejerk "I hate cops" twaddle when the use of force and the type used was clearly justified by the circumstances. A kid armed with a knife and threatening to harm herself was disarmed apparently without any injury to anybody, and somebody will still b.itch moan.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
I'm wondering how many here have disarmed children with knives?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:11 PM

37 posts, read 51,557 times
Pretty obvious the cop did the right thing. The father is either an idiot or wants to sue the department...or both. The girl likely has no idea about her femoral artery and could have easily killed herself.

I'm usually one to denounce excessive force but this isn't it.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
How can a news source run by adult people release a news story concerning a little girl and danger, including an indecent , release to this public and deliberately refuse to explain the moment to moment happening in the story ?
Because if they told the truth, it wouldn't be nearly as sensational. They don't care about facts, they just want to get people to see the headline, get outraged, and talk about their news paper, station, or report. What happens from there, they don't care, just as long as they get their attention.

Quote:
How is this possible. Why is everything in media, browser news designed in a leading way ? Does the media news think people are spontaneous rang-a-tangs that do not look at these things before coming to an understanding?
The answer to your question is: yes

And the sad part is, most people DO act just like that. Not everyone fully reads the story or asks questions. They don't read "between the lines", they just read the headline, maybe the first paragraph, and then they form their opinion based on the crappy reporting that they just read. Facts? Who needs facts, it's all about EMOTION!

Quote:
Why are these people doing this, this is a form of brainwashing. Do people not understand this? Im totally confused with the tolerance by the people. They the news should be charged and jailed.
Yes, it is a form of brainwashing. It's called "propaganda", and it's rampant in the lame stream media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies