Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, because people of integrity and good character hinge their behavior on the behavior of others. Do you understand what honor is?
Yes I do. But we are being thrust into a dishonorable circumstance, forced to act against our will, we are being wronged and harmed by our own government, and you expect us to bow down like good little sheep.

If someone is being kicked in the groin, don't tell them to suck it up, because the person doing the kicking says the kicks are deemed as good for them.

This is how revolutions start, when government becomes oppressive and tyrannical, and starts doing wrong to the people, and then enacts laws to control and punish the people if they dare to exercise there personal rights and freedoms.

Notice how the political elites in our government do not have to follow the ACA, or how their cost burdens are paid for by the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Do you have anything of wealth at all? A 401K account, bank account, anything of value? Leave it to the bureaucrats to find a way to extract money from the people.

I'm not saying they would do any of this, but think on this, ten years ago, who'd have thought the SCOTUS would uphold the idea that government could force the individual to buy a product from another citizen, against their wishes, or face federal punitive actions?
Pretty much anyone with an IQ above 85. I pay higher taxes (federal punitive action) because I did not buy a house from a private citizen and take out a loan from another private citizen. I pay lower taxes because I contributed to tax exempt accounts, which can only be used to buy a product from another citizen. Had I not contributed to tax exempt accounts I would have been penalized with higher taxes.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Thank you for your reasoned , intelligent post that lays out the logic in clear English. You have enriched my reading pleasure. I will keep it in mind when you come storming into the next Social Security/Food Stamp/Medicaid thread foaming at the keyboard about personal responsibility instead of an entitlement.
Why are you lumping in Social Security with needs based leech programs like Food Stamps? I was taxed to fund the retirement of old people why shouldn't I want to draw out when my turn comes?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why are you lumping in Social Security with needs based leech programs like Food Stamps? I was taxed to fund the retirement of old people why shouldn't I want to draw out when my turn comes?
You do know that most people who receive food stamps are children, the elderly, and the disabled, and that most households who receive foodstamps have at least one working adult.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
This is not true. They can't give you a higher rate by law. There is no underwriting in 2014 plans.

Baloney. They can't deny you , but your premium will be determined by your current health. That is only fair to the rest of us.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree with you. But we had that in place and the simple thing would have been to lower the threshold standards for qualifications for Medicaid, even if that required a modest premium (and I mean - like $32/mo).
What is forgotten in the debate is that back in 2008, the sad state of health care affordability was high on the list of people's concerns in that election. It was already a problem looking for a good solution.

We may have missed the boat by going with the ACA. I think had it failed, we would have seen Medicare being offered to people for fees as well as income levels being lowered on the other end for Medicaid. Already there was a plan afloat to allow people from 55-65 to buy in. That could have just been expanded to more and more groups - vets, dog owners, whatever until private insurance was only for the wealthly as it is in places like Germany. Of course, we all know who killed that idea and who stands to profit immensely by having the government drive customers to them.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Baloney. They can't deny you , but your premium will be determined by your current health. That is only fair to the rest of us.
You're wrong. There is no other way to say it. The only thing that matters anymore IS YOUR AGE. We can debate whether that is fair or not, but it is fact. It has been that way since forever in employee group plans. And in them, even your age does not matter. Obamacare is the group plan for those who don't have group plans

Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You do know that most people who receive food stamps are children, the elderly, and the disabled, and that most households who receive foodstamps have at least one working adult.
But something is wrong when we were averaging over 300,000 new Food Stamps enrollees each and every month. Obviously not all of these people should qualify, or our economy and the level of poverty and despair in the US is much, much worse under Obama then any of us is able to comprehend.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm exercising personal responsibility by refusing to pay higher insurance premiums to subsidize old sick people until absolutely necessary. This money I save will be used to finance my lifestyle and enrinchment. If for some reason something horrible happens I just stick the taxpayer with the bill.

I mean that's what the new America is about right?
Old, sick people are on Medicare, not the ACA. If you are working, you have been, are now, and will still pay into Medicare. You need to get your facts straight...

If something terrible happens and you have no insurance/no cash, I hope you are left on the hospital steps....

Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
[quote=Taratova;32034745]If someone doesn't want insurance and doesn't want to go to a doctor that is no longer a choice.. If they want to die without medical intervention they still have to pay a fine or get insurance.

Some people don't want to go to the doctors or go for an operation..

I know of a man who is in his upper eighties.. he has cancer.. they want to operate. He says no. That is his choice.[/quote]
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
His Medicare premium is deducted out of his Social Security check.

Medicare is the closest thing the U.S. has to universal healthcare.

The man is free to decline the operation. His choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies