Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:52 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times

Advertisements

Why does everything have to devolve into "democrats vs republicans"? If I posted on people who believe zombies were real somehow that would be spun into a liberal vs conservative argument.

This is not about bashing liberals or conservatives. This is about bashing idiot parents, who come in all stripes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Trouble is if they run into a neighborhood with a bunch of Republicans the doors are locked and the lights are off. Ever live around people who are described as the Republican Base...they don't like kids..period..Most should have been sent to Sun City. I agree with the rest of your post but don't count on Republican types to be friendly to kids. If the Tea Party base could vote on Halloween with their Christian base it would be outlawed.
Years ago when we all took things more seriously, one of my Christian fundamentalist neighbors let their kids go trick or treating on the condition they go dressed as biblical characters. Their son dressed as Moses and went about carrying his candy as well as a styrofoam replica of the Ten Commandments. We reminisce and laugh over this every Halloween.

Oh, and my hood is overwhelmingly Republican I am sure. But people turn on their lights and open their doors for kids in large numbers. The older ones, even. Heck we even tolerate the old pickup trucks that bring the illegals kids to our area.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
For naive ignorant spiteful people who have to bring politics into something like Holloween get a freaking life. No politics in Halloween, i am a republician who loves Halloween as does others i know who are also Republicians, so your blinded stupdiity of bringing politics into Halloween is falulted. Everyone i know loves Halloween.

In my very wealthy neighboorhood of mostly Republicians we love Halloween, infact you should come out by and check out our pads decorated for Halloween, we do up the houses really scarey for the kids, and come up with a very cool haunted house, have some time, come on by, would love to give you some candy!

And Democrats are a outstanding bunch, who never lie, or cheat, or are deceitful, oh how sweet? I guess it is true, Obama lies so damn much his supporters take it as the norm.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
It's ironic such a God fearing country allows its children to celebrate the night of the dead.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The doors are locked and the lights are off in my neighborhood and they vote Republican. Most don't like kids we have a tough time passing school bond issues. Taxes are way too high according to most of them yet they spend their days down at the Med center courtesy of Medicare.
Odd but I live in a farming community. Most farmers at least in my area are registered Republican. Yet we have halloween every year. It starts with a small parade and then the kids go door to door. Maybe you live in a strange neighborhood or the kids around you are poorly raised and have made themselves unwelcome.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 PM

Could people JUST STAY ON TOPIC AND IGNORE THE DEMOCRATS VS REPUBLICANS CRAP!?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
It's ironic such a God fearing country allows its children to celebrate the night of the dead.
You ain't seen nothin. The Mexicans (and increasingly others in the American Southwest and other areas where Hispanic culture is mixing in) do it up right with the costumes on the Dia de los Muertos - Nov 2/3 . It is All Souls Day to the Catholics in America and the festival has its roots there.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
The Republican War on Halloween: Trick-or-Treating Kids Shouldn't Take Handouts

If Halloween is outlawed you can be sure a Republican will be behind it. Whats next Christmas?LOL...

Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Everyone i know loves Halloween.
It is not that people don't like Halloween: it is the idiot parents who don't let their kids trick or treat without an adult and make them do it only during daylight that I have a problem with. As I said in the OP (that I am convinced no one read) Halloween is the time when idiot parents, juiced up on the "stranger danger" notion that a pedophile in a trench coat is going to abduct, rape, kill and eat their kid with fava beans and a Chianti do their "no fun allowed" routine on overtime.

During Halloween, the absurdity of modern "helicopter parents" become most apparent.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
On Sunday I saw something absurd, stupid, and sad in a certain Seattle neighborhood: organized trick or treating in broad daylight with appointed chaperones. Huh? It was billed as "a safe alternative" to the old fashioned trick or treating that many of us did with out friends, "ET" style without the parents being there and we all had fun and no one got abducted, murdered, or forced to be child soldiers for Kony's army.

Well, something weird has happened: I found A Wall St journal article that I actually agreed with

"We can kill off Halloween, or we can accept that it isn't dangerous and give it back to the kids. Then maybe we can start giving them back the rest of their childhoods, too."

Lenore Skenazy: 'Stranger Danger' and the Decline of Halloween - WSJ.com

Really, trick or treating in the daytime, downtown, as an organized event? This is the culmination of something that has been years in the making: IDIOT AMERICAN PARENTS DECLARING A WAR ON THEIR CHILDREN'S CHILDHOOD.

Take play dates for example: kids ages three (which make sense because they can't visit friends on their own, I concede) all the way up to TWELVE having to schedule time to play with their friends. Huh? Whatever happened to riding your bike to Jimmy's house?

And organized sports. It used to be ten years old or so was when kids would play on a team. Now, kids as young as four are forced into "organized, safe activities". Huh? What the hell ever happened to a kid playing tag around the neighborhood?

And now, idiotic American parents don't even want their kids to dress up like zombies and run around without them and get into trouble. Why? Because the big glowing idiot box told them that Pedobear ®
will jump out and grab them if they are left out of parent's sight for more than one tenth of a second.

Never in history has a stranger ever given a kid poisoned candy. Ever. It is a fact. One father did poison his son's candy to make it look like an accident, but that was it. The chances of a kid being abducted by a stranger is very, very, VERY small. As in your brats are more likely to die in a car accident on the way to his or her playdate than he is to be snatched off the street by a man in a trenchcoat to be sold to an underground group of Satanic cannibals who live in abandoned subway stations.

But what will happen if you keep scheduling your kids to death, "structuring" everything and making so the only interaction with their fellow homosapiens outside of adult supervision is what they do with electronic devices? They will become completely helpless, socially inept adults who can't do jack for themselves.

Parents today seem to be okay with having a 90% chance of their kids growing up screwed in the head as a result of not having a childhood than they are taking the .0001% chance that they will be kidnapped or something.

Want to raise healthy kids? LET THEM BE KIDS. Let them run around the woods catching frogs and building forts while you aren't there. Let them share secrets with their friends and play in the backyard. Let them run around after dark, get bruised doing stupid things all kids do (that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger) and develop the skills to be social beings on their own with out parental interference, i,e., "structured activities." If you want to take a stand on something, don't take a stand against little Timmy riding a bike to Sam's house which is all of two blocks away to play on his terms. Instead, do something intelligent: REGULATE HOW MUCH TIME LITTLE TIMMY SPENDS ON HIS CELL PHONE AND VIDEO GAMES.

So parents, LET YOU KIDS TRICK OR TREAT AFTER DARK. Just give them a cell phone in case they need help or something and teach them to handle themselves. They will not be stolen by mutant pedophile and sodomized in every orifice and than killed and their bodies ground up to make fertilizer to be sold to a Columbian drug cartel for the growing of Ecstasy plants. The television is lying to you: IT ISN'T THAT BAD OUT THERE!
That's interesting, but parents have been pumped so full of stranger danger from a sensationalist media that stuff like this can't be all that surprising at this point. With so many kids spending so much time indoors now, many parents are even less accustomed to having their kids outdoors and out of sight than parents were in decades' past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies