Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Quiz: why are the hospitals being excluded from the Obamacare networks?

There will always be a class of people in America who receive excellent healthcare at first rate facilities. It just won't be Obamacare patients.
Who are "Obamacare' patients? There is no insurance called 'Obamacare" or ACA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In these parts the only people going to Mayo are the wealthy and those on the state's Medicaid plan.
Word. I know one Medicaid patient that got the best care my money certainly couldn't have bought. I didn't begrudge him that because he was gravely ill, and died a very young man. I often wondered, though, if my son would have gotten the same care with our employer -sponsored health plan. Surgery after surgery after surgery. I'll bet my out of pocket expenses would have been astronomical. Luckily, I never had to find out.

I know a man, disabled and a Veteran who obtained gastric bypass at a VA hospital; then had numerous skin removing surgeries also at a VA hospital. I was never clear if we the people were footing the bill for that or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Hospitals can't "opt out of Obamacare". Obamacare isn't an insurance plan.
Yet, thread after thread after thread discusses "Obamacare' as if it were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 09:27 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
First.. here's the flaw in this..

First, Obamacare is not a "plan" to opt out of. Obamacare is a regulation on the health insurance industry that set standards that health insurance must comply with.

So, in turn health insurance structured different plans at the different levels with levels of service required for each level set forth in Obamacare.

Then, they set their prices. As is and was always the case, prices are based on many things, including their negotiated rates with doctors within the "networks" for which insurance plans draw their "preferred in network list". This includes hospitals.

If a hospital is "opting out" of anything, they are simply saying they will NOT take a certain insurance companies insurance and they become "out of network". This could happen for several reasons.. like the hosptial and the insurance company couldn't agree on prices paid out for services.

And, the insurance companies, because they are not competing on an open marketplace with other insurance companies, are ultimately working to negotiate the best prices possible in order for their insurance plans to remain competitive and affordable. (this is a god thing)

What's kind of ironic is that, when you are picked up in an ambulance to be taken to the hospital, you aren't asked which hospital you prefer, or which hospital is in your network. AND just because a hospital is in network doesn't mean that every doctor that sees or treats you will be in network - so you could be in a network hospital but seen by someone that is out of network and billed appropriately .. but I'm getting a little off track.

Now, soon a hospital that opts out of insurance plans will ultimately loose patients because those patients will go to the hospitals that a) are in their network that b) their network doctors are affiliated with. If patients come in that are "out of network" through emergencies, and the bill is too high for someone whose insurance doesn't cover that hospital, that hospital will be losing money because most likely the treated patient won't be able to pay.

Eventually, hospitals will NEED to join these networks in order to get patients. Patients=customers=revenues...

Unless you have a Michelle Obama waiting near the emergency room door telling telling the driver to take the patient to that "other" hospital because they don't have the right insurance that will pay.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I know, I know, at this point the news just keeps getting worse and worse (but remember what Pelosi said...).

From US News and World Report - "Americans who sign up for Obamacare will be getting a big surprise if they expect to access premium health care that may have been previously covered under their personal policies. Most of the top hospitals will accept insurance from just one or two companies operating under Obamacare." Top Hospitals Opt Out of Obamacare - US News and World Report

Well, who wants top-quality healthcare anyway, right Democrats? Thanks for helping screw up the best healthcare system in the world.
This story doesn't sound correct to me. While attempting to verify the information, I followed the links in the Watdog.org story for the Cleveland Clinic.

Chances are the individual plan you purchased outside Obamacare would allow you to go to these facilities. For example, fourth-ranked Cleveland Clinic accepts dozens of insurance plans if you buy one on your own. But go through Obamacare and you have just one choice: Medical Mutual of Ohio.

From the Cleveland Clinic site:

Accepted Insurance
Insurance & Contracted Managed Care Plans

This list is subject to change. Coverage limitations are dependent on individual group contracts. For questions about insurance coverage and specific plan products including Medicare and our Las Vegas location, please contact your insurance carrier directly.

FROM the K-N tab

Kaiser National Transplant Network
Kaiser Permanente
Kohl’s Department Store
LCA-Vision, Inc. (Cole Managed Vision)
LifeTrac Network, Inc. (fka RW Morey, Inc.)
Lord Corporation
Lowe's Companies, Inc.
Lutheran/TRMA, LLC
Managed Care Services Signature Care PPO (aka Parkview Health Plan Systems)
Marymount Behavioral Health Services( MBHS)
Medical Benefits Corporation
Medical Mutual of Ohio
Mercer First Choice
Multiplan
National Healthcare Solutions, Inc. d/b/a National PPO
North American Health Plan, Inc.
Northcoast Healthcare Management Services

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Quiz: why are the hospitals being excluded from the Obamacare networks?

There will always be a class of people in America who receive excellent healthcare at first rate facilities. It just won't be Obamacare patients.
How are Hospitals being excluded from the Obamacare networks? What does that even mean?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Not necessarily. If they don't take exchange plans people won't go there for non-emergency care, and if they do accept exchange plans below their normal price, they'll be concerned it will open the floodgates for the same companies to demand the same discounts for the bigger and more important employer-sponsored plans.

It then becomes a decision on whether the administrators think it is more important to fill beds with paying patients or to protect margins, and how that will play out is anyone's guess and will likely vary hospital by hospital.
Don't most "bigger and more important employer-sponsored plans" already get a discount? Every employer sponsored plan I have ever been enrolled in had discounts. I believe that is one of the primary selling points of group insurance.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:43 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
How are Hospitals being excluded from the Obamacare networks? What does that even mean?
How dumb are you leftists?

Read up on the basics of health insurance networks and get back to us.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
OP is upset the UCLA Medical, Johns Hopkins, the Mayo Clinic are not in his network of hospitals.

I agree with him. Im upset that UCLA medical is not in Texas and not in my network. Damn you Obama.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:44 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
This story doesn't sound correct to me. While attempting to verify the information, I followed the links in the Watdog.org story for the Cleveland Clinic.

Chances are the individual plan you purchased outside Obamacare would allow you to go to these facilities. For example, fourth-ranked Cleveland Clinic accepts dozens of insurance plans if you buy one on your own. But go through Obamacare and you have just one choice: Medical Mutual of Ohio.

From the Cleveland Clinic site:

Accepted Insurance
Insurance & Contracted Managed Care Plans

This list is subject to change. Coverage limitations are dependent on individual group contracts. For questions about insurance coverage and specific plan products including Medicare and our Las Vegas location, please contact your insurance carrier directly.

FROM the K-N tab

Kaiser National Transplant Network
Kaiser Permanente
Kohl’s Department Store
LCA-Vision, Inc. (Cole Managed Vision)
LifeTrac Network, Inc. (fka RW Morey, Inc.)
Lord Corporation
Lowe's Companies, Inc.
Lutheran/TRMA, LLC
Managed Care Services Signature Care PPO (aka Parkview Health Plan Systems)
Marymount Behavioral Health Services( MBHS)
Medical Benefits Corporation
Medical Mutual of Ohio
Mercer First Choice
Multiplan
National Healthcare Solutions, Inc. d/b/a National PPO
North American Health Plan, Inc.
Northcoast Healthcare Management Services
Are you trying to say that is contradictory? Not necessarily.
Did you also check to see if that long list are insurers that ssell policies that can be purchased in the exchange ?
Or are they all companies that sell private plans.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, they are opting out of being "in network" which means those with Obamacare insurance will foot the entire bill out of their pockets.
That is not my experience with Insurance that has In/Out network providers. They only thing that changed is the percentages paid by the insurance and the loss of a negotiated fee.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Some of these policies don't even define out of network providers. It's either in network, or you're stuck with the entire bill.

Enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies