Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The boost in food stamp spending was designed to be temporary, and now it ends, and I am glad it does.

WASHINGTON – Forty-eight million Americans will have their food stamps benefits slashed starting Friday, when a recession-era boost in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistant Program expires.

The move to cut back benefits will be the first wide-scale change to the program affecting nearly every single participant. The 13.6 percent cut comes out to about $36 a month less for a family of four getting government assistance or $420 a year, according to the Department of Agriculture

Deep cuts to country's food stamp program kick in as Congress debates more | Fox News
"Slashed" seems to be a bit of an overstatement.
If one shops wisely, it should have little impact.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...we need to cut off Americans.

Meanwhile, we need to keep dropping a billion or more a week to help the people of Afghanistan.
What, are you racist or something? Don't they deserve to eat, just because they don't look like you?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I honestly don't see this as an issue. The increase was suppose to be temporary.

I agree with Ponderosa (loved their sundae's when I was a kid BTW) that they should also end the Bush era tax cuts. We need to get back to normal. The economy is recovering and $36 isn't going to make or break family meal planning. People will adjust.

And FWIW, a few people in my family are on foodstamps (my brother and his wife and their 2 kids, my aunt, and a cousin or two). And I still don't have an issue with them scaling it back to previous levels. The only issue I had was this:

I don't think that people who don't have dependents but who make a VERY small income should be denied access to the SNAP program because they need to eat too. My aunt is in her 50s and gets about $130 a month in food stamps. She makes less than $1000 a month and SNAP is a big assistance to her so I would not like to see her punished just because she is a single person.
WOW $130/mo SWEET .. she should have NO problem eating on that.

She earns ~$1000/mo? ... what is her rent/mortgage?

Does she have cable? Premium channels? House phone AND cell phone?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What, are you racist or something? Don't they deserve to eat, just because they don't look like you?
Yeah...I'm racist against Afghanis.

Geez dude...you caught me.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,711 times
GOOD!! Cut this ridiculous program by two thirds. Almost EVERYONE on it are scamming the system.

Kids get free breakfasts and lunches at almost EVERY school in the nation five days a week.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:29 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The boost in food stamp spending was designed to be temporary, and now it ends, and I am glad it does.

WASHINGTON – Forty-eight million Americans will have their food stamps benefits slashed starting Friday, when a recession-era boost in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistant Program expires.

The move to cut back benefits will be the first wide-scale change to the program affecting nearly every single participant. The 13.6 percent cut comes out to about $36 a month less for a family of four getting government assistance or $420 a year, according to the Department of Agriculture

Deep cuts to country's food stamp program kick in as Congress debates more | Fox News

You remember how liberals liked to point out how the expiration of a "temporary" tax cut wasn't a tax increase? Well, the expiration of a tempory increase in food stamps isn't a cut, it's simply a return to "normalacy".

Old 11-01-2013, 10:32 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
GOOD!! Cut this ridiculous program by two thirds. Almost EVERYONE on it are scamming the system.

Kids get free breakfasts and lunches at almost EVERY school in the nation five days a week.
Come on now, you don't expect today's parents to actually get up and make breakfast and lunch for their offspring now, do you? Back in the day, children of working parents packed a bag lunch with a cold sandwich and maybe some chips, the welfare lunch kids were the ones that got a nice, hot lunch every day. Sounds like that trend has gotten a lot more pronounced.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Nothing says "America" like cutting off the SNAP program for millions of kids. God bless America.
This is what happens when politicians take a worthy program designed to offer assistance to families in need, and lower the eligibility bar so low that they turn it into a vote-buying free for all.

The same thing is happening with the Social Security Disability Insurance program, we have had many months under Obama where more people were enrolling in the SSDI program then the people who got jobs.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post

We have families getting $800 a month for food stamps, and ten meals a week there kids eat for free at school.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,711 times
My kids don't get free meals though; we pay for any lunch they have at school. As far as breakfast, we feed them at home buying food with money we earn by having made the right decisions in life (you know, go to school, study hard, find good and meaningful work, live below your means and save, and take care of any children you choose to have - just our hateful conservative way of life).

Most poor people are poor because they made stupid choices or simply decided to leech off the system and whine all day. Conservatives believe in a safety net for the least of us who, through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN, had bad luck. The people I hate are the whiners on c-d who make incredibly stupid comments all day and expect us to take care of them. Those are the despicable among us and we know who they are. I have all of them on ignore but some of you post their idiocy in your responses to their comments. I try to skim past those quickly.

c-d would be a much more interesting forum if more of you used the ignore feature! (On me too if you hate common sense and me pointing out the useful idiots).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies