Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,391,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He indicated his secretaries tax rate was 34%, not federal bracket.
I don't believe they indicated the secretaries salary although Forbes took a guess at $200-500K nor did he provide any personal details like children. You are not including pay roll taxes in your example.

Lacking details you are just guessing.
yes I did

Quote:
FACTS:
we're talking about a married secretary. They file jointly, pay a home mortgage and have kids (still claimed or not) . They probably place at least $4,000 in an 401k (the average is about 7%) and itemize $15,000 in deductions(about 3k over the standard deduction). .....Here the tax picture changes dramatically. ....Taxable income drops to $27,800 -- the 15 percent tax bracket. With child tax credits, secretary now pays $1,419 in federal taxes, or 2.4 percent of $60,000. Add in another 2 percent for $1,218 in state taxes, and secretary pays a grand total, state and federal(to include payroll(ss)), of 4.4 percent on the $60,000-a-year salary.

and buffett HIMSELF said she makes 60k

Quote:
Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent. Mr Buffett told his audience, which included John Mack, the chairman of Morgan Stanley, and Alan Patricof, the founder of the US branch of Apax Partners, that US government policy had accentuated a disparity of wealth that hurt the economy by stifling opportunity and motivation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 PM

56,957 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes I did

and buffett HIMSELF said she makes 60k
I don't believe he ever stated that, Forbes speculated subsequent to the supposed quote.

Quote:
As for a Forbes blog post by contributor Paul Roderick Gregory estimating Bosanek earns
between $200,000 and $500,000 a year, "making her scarcely the symbol of
injustice that Obama wishes her to project," Buffett replies that Gregory
"doesn't have any idea, just zero. If I were to estimate his salary, I'd
probably be closer than he is."

Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,391,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't believe he ever stated that, Forbes speculated subsequent to the supposed quote.
really???

a forbes BLOGGER SPECULATED that she would HAVE TO EARN that much to pay THAT RATE.....

buffett himself stated she makes 60k

Quote:
Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent. Mr Buffett told his audience, which included John Mack, the chairman of Morgan Stanley, and Alan Patricof, the founder of the US branch of Apax Partners, that US government policy had accentuated a disparity of wealth that hurt the economy by stifling opportunity and motivation

don't forget HIS SALARY is only 100k...the rest of his earnings are though investments

Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,907,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I totally understand that. It could have been her shopping for her mother or next door neighbor.
Point is the cashier never even questioned that she had two EBT cards.

Apathy runs deep in America.
The only concern should be that the cashier is following procedure. It is up to the service provider and retailer to determine what that is. Certainly the customer should have say so as well in regard to service. Don't think apathy is the issue here.

Last edited by CDusr; 11-07-2013 at 08:56 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,535,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
36 less a month for a family of four getting over 600 a month.... Yeah, i don't feel so bad considering my family of four spend less than 500 a month... I can't believe they eat better than me... I don't think they cut deep enough... Liberal thread FAIL...
I doubt they eat better than you. They just spend more money on food or sell the charge card to buy drugs. We need drug testing for everyone getting help from these programs. I remember when my children were small I would use the sample of what it cost to feed a family of four and I could always do a better job than the example.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 PM

22,605 posts, read 24,427,062 times
Dang TeahadliKKKans, wanting to starve babies and stuff.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 PM

139 posts, read 355,178 times
The SNAP program has so much fraud. There are even gas station convenient stores that accept it! I have seen and reported a store where people have come in and used the SNAP card and walked out with cash and no food. The guy was in such a hurry he left his receipt on the machine...From that I learned Chase was the bank that issued the SNAP card. This particular person has spent $241.xx and had a zero balance left...I looked around there was hardly any food in the store.

It would be much better for the gobberment to setup a warehouse food store where they distributed food to the people that really needed it and used better identification.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:37 PM

26,283 posts, read 14,879,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDinTelfair View Post
The SNAP program has so much fraud. There are even gas station convenient stores that accept it! I have seen and reported a store where people have come in and used the SNAP card and walked out with cash and no food. The guy was in such a hurry he left his receipt on the machine...From that I learned Chase was the bank that issued the SNAP card. This particular person has spent $241.xx and had a zero balance left...I looked around there was hardly any food in the store.

It would be much better for the gobberment to setup a warehouse food store where they distributed food to the people that really needed it and used better identification.
There is a lot of fraud. I have seen it too. However, half the politicians get votes off of not fixing the cash cow...

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,176,206 times
the trouble with feeding bears is that they get mean and violent when u stop.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,622,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDinTelfair View Post

did you watch the person drive away in a Cadillac Escalade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies