Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:22 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times

Advertisements

I don't like it. It doesn't change the sun (daylight) - just clocks. Gee, maybe we should try 'saving' TWO hours - and increase our 'savings'. I say, if you want to be an 'early bird' - go for it - but I'm with AZ myself. Wish I were there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Daylight Savings Time. Whenever we set the clocks back, I always find it a little enjoyable to have an extra hour during the weekend.

What about you?
I don't mind it because right now during the week, it's still dark when I have to get up. Daylight doesn't last long enough in the winter for me no matter how you slice up the day. If anything, whether the extra hour of light occurs in the morning or afternoon is at best an annoyance, at least in much of the U.S. I don't know how people in far northern latitudes deal with winters, but I would like to experience some of those long summer days some day.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:35 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Now you can understand why Winter Solstice is a big deal in Alaska. After Winter Solstice the days get longer, and after six months of ever decreasing days, that is worthy of celebration.

When I lived in Los Angeles Winter Solstice was like any other day. Nobody cared. But this far north it truly makes a significant difference.
That is a reasonable explanation as to why Christmas is set when it is. A widely accepted hypothesis is that as Christianity spread North to Europe, pagan festivals celebrating the solstice (@ Dec. 21-22) were adapted and became Christmas celebrations with festive lights and yule logs.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't especially enjoy it at all. I think it's silly. Thankfully most of my clocks self set these days and I just have to do the grandfather clock and figure out the setting in my old car. It's the only time I pull out the owners manual

Old 11-03-2013, 01:07 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Hate it... Getting dark at 4:30 PM is not normal.
Some psychologists say, it's even tend some people to depression.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125
Daylight Savings Time. Whenever we set the clocks back, I always find it a little enjoyable to have an extra hour during the weekend.

What about you?
I think the whole thing is stupid!!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post

What about you?
I say it every year... stay on DST permanently. It makes no sense that we fall back in the winter.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't especially enjoy it at all. I think it's silly. Thankfully most of my clocks self set these days and I just have to do the grandfather clock and figure out the setting in my old car. It's the only time I pull out the owners manual
LOL. I've had my car for EIGHT years, and still have that brain-fart whenever the time changes. Usually I end up inadvertently changing my preset radio stations - which is particularly annoying, since I also always forget which station brings in my Sirius satellite (all I listen to these days).

Old 11-03-2013, 01:52 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Some psychologists say, it's even tend some people to depression.
I just got through reading an article that stated people have more heart attacks when we spring forward. I think it said during the first three weeks. So, the depression thing makes sense too. I think it's time for us to revolt.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:57 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have a blinking car clock for weeks when the time changes. I usually try and set it when I'm sitting at a light or something and of course it's a failed attempt. The spouse gets so irked, oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies