Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:51 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

"Voters on Tuesday gave Republicans control of the Senate. But the GOP did not earn this victory.

The GOP didn

It looks like reality is difficult for somebody.

Democrats lost the Senate by 2,316,781 votes. You were NOT competitive everywhere, not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
It is just a blog, it doesn't look like anyone actually important made that quote.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is just a blog, it doesn't look like anyone actually important made that quote.
It was an article on Washington post.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Send the poor guy a box of tissues. Sorry baby, the adults are in power again.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Send the poor guy a box of tissues. Sorry baby, the adults are in power again.
Exactly!!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
There were multiple issues that lead to the Republican win. People are tired of the gridlock, and its obvious the Democratic majority wasn't willing to work across the aisle. Now, Dems will say that Republicans wouldn't put forward anything they felt the need to pass, but thats just an excuse, IMO. Should have let the President use that Veto pen, he isn't up for re-election, they were.

Lots of blame on the Democratic side. I don't know if the Republican earned the victory, per say, I feel that they should thank Democrats for doing a crappy job for much of their success.

What exactly was the Republican platform? "We are not Democrats" was basically their platform from what I saw. We'll see now what their agenda is. First McConnell said they wouldn't be trying to repeal Obamacare, shut the government down, and default on the national debt. Then he gave a press conference with Bohener saying they were going to repeal Obamacare. I think the program needs work, but repeal with this President in the White House isn't going to happen. If they stand on that soap box, and get nothing done, I fear there will be hell to pay for Republicans in the 2016 election. Just my opinion.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:28 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,863 times
The country spoke. Get over it Dems.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The country spoke. Get over it Dems.
I think the turn out numbers speak volumes, to both parties. Or it should.

20% of the voting population participated, and Republicans won about 53% of that vote. So about 13 to 14% of the country went Republican.

Resounding victory? I think not.

Thats why they lose in Presidential election years, get the number up to 40% of the voting public, and the red column loses badly.

We need one, or both parties to wake the hell up and start listening to the public instead of their financial backers. Both parties are bought and paid for by lobbyists. As I said in another thread. Its like we are at the bar at the end of the night, and our choice is a fat, ugly woman with no teeth, and a pretty girl with herpes. Saying "I won" isn't exactly a great talking point with the options we have right now.

I hope a new generation of Republicans start taking the reigns of the party. Less taxation, smaller federal government, less engagement in foreign war, more personal freedom. So far, that hasn't happened yet. Democrats aren't any damn better, don't get me wrong. Thats my point, both parties suck.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There were multiple issues that lead to the Republican win. People are tired of the gridlock, and its obvious the Democratic majority wasn't willing to work across the aisle. Now, Dems will say that Republicans wouldn't put forward anything they felt the need to pass, but thats just an excuse, IMO. Should have let the President use that Veto pen, he isn't up for re-election, they were.

Lots of blame on the Democratic side. I don't know if the Republican earned the victory, per say, I feel that they should thank Democrats for doing a crappy job for much of their success.

What exactly was the Republican platform? "We are not Democrats" was basically their platform from what I saw. We'll see now what their agenda is. First McConnell said they wouldn't be trying to repeal Obamacare, shut the government down, and default on the national debt. Then he gave a press conference with Bohener saying they were going to repeal Obamacare. I think the program needs work, but repeal with this President in the White House isn't going to happen. If they stand on that soap box, and get nothing done, I fear there will be hell to pay for Republicans in the 2016 election. Just my opinion.
well, obviously, we are in a totalitarian system in which are no checks or balances on the executive. The President can act as a dictator.

Freedom or Dictatorship, seems like an easy choice to me.

Voting Republican would give us a tiny chance to change the status quo and the peril that's facing us now. Even if it didn't work, at least we tried.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:42 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
No one should be happy with the state of government. We as a nation are going to be the first to leave future generations with a lower standard of living. It's our fault for not holding elected officials accountable and letting them spend us into oblivion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies