Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times

Advertisements

Why does the GOP desire to be a permanent minority party

The party in power has the responsibility to build and maintain the structure and integrity of the nation.

The minority party is under no constraints or mandates.

It is much, much easier to destroy rather than to build.

The Republicans have become masters of destruction.

They like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
Some people are content in being right, not popular.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Why does the GOP desire to be a permanent minority party

The party in power has the responsibility to build and maintain the structure and integrity of the nation.

The minority party is under no constraints or mandates.

It is much, much easier to destroy rather than to build.

The Republicans have become masters of destruction.

They like it that way.
You're not kidding...

Quote:
Ted Cruz: Destroying Entire Planet Best Way to Stop Obamacare

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) raised the ante in the battle over the Affordable Care Act on Sunday, telling CNN’s Candy Crowley that “destroying the entire planet is really the best and only way to stop Obamacare.”
“Look, I’m in favor of shutting down the government and not raising the debt ceiling, but let’s not kid ourselves. Those are only half measures,” he told Crowley. “If we are really serious about stopping Obamacare, we’ll destroy the entire planet.”

Ted Cruz: Destroying Entire Planet Best Way to Stop Obamacare : The New Yorker
This egocentric snake oil salesman thinks he has the power to destroy the planet...

Old 11-01-2013, 12:56 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Some people are content in being right, not popular.
This thread is about the GOP though.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 PM

525 posts, read 507,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Bwahahaha. No, Asians do NOT vote for the GOP. For one thing, Asians have the LOWEST poverty rates, the highest educations rates in America, and highest incomes - so by your logic they should be voting for the GOP in waves. Yet, Asian opposition to the GOP is second only to black Americans. Now, you are correct that people vote for the GOP more as their income rises, but they vote for Democrats more as their education level rise.

The GOP support is strongest among whites that have no college education, but have high income; the second highest support comes from HS dropouts that have medium income. Furthermore, GOP social issues turn off alot of people, including Asians.

Ex:
Anti education.
Anti abortion
Anti government services
Anti science
Pro creation/religion
You're right in that Asian voters almost always vote for Democrats, but it is amplified at the lower incomes levels...specifically among Vietnamese, Korean, Filipino, and other Southeast Asian minorities. However, they do start moving right as their income rises...althought it's still a small number. The Asian community is to some degree like the AA community in terms of voting paterns. Poorer AA/Asians practically ALWAYS vote for Democrats and more wealthy AA/Asian almost always vote for Democrats. I'm not saying the numbers that vote GOP are high in any capacity...I'm saying that traditionally Democratic strongholds begin moving to the right a bit once higher incomes are in play.

With regards to your last point...That is a bit of a strawman. You're correct in that higher education (beyond the Bachelor) level tends to move voters to the left, but it's basically a push at the Bachelor level...particularlly with men. So it's kind of a strawman to say that the GOP base is "anti-education." The GOP recognizes that our public education system is garbage. We spend more money and get lower results than other countries...the Democratic solution is the same thing the Democratic solution always is...pump money into it. Any talks of reform from the GOP level in favor of charter schools is met with harsh criticism.

Anti-abortion: That one is certainly true amongst the religious wing of the party but the more moderate and libertarian republicans could care less about abortion.

Anti-government services: Anything the government does beyond what can't be done in the private sector pulls from entrepreneurial opportunity. All Republicans believe that government has a role to play and no one will deny that...we just differ on how much of a role. Again, it's a strawman. The wording should read anti-excessive government services.

Anti-Science: This one makes me shake my head. I don't disagree with you here. I believe the GOP takes an "anti-science" stance a lot of the time and I don't like it.

Pro Creation/Religion: Kinda falls in line with the anti-science thing. Again...I don't like it. I'm not a Creatoinist by any stretch of the imagination because it isn't science. If you want to teach your kid about "Creation," thats fine...just do it in church. Evolution is the scientific consensus, therefore it should be taught...point blank.

The issue that you left out that I think is worth mentioning is that the GOP is the party supported by small business owners. Small business is the lifeblood of America. These people are the engines of our economy, because all businesses eventually start from humble beginnings. In 2012, 61% of all small business owners supported the GOP and for good reason. The policies espoused by Romney/Ryan are favorable to small business, which is in turn favorable to the citizens of the community they are located in because it creates more jobs, more competition, better prices, and better opportunities. That is the most important thing the GOP represents.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:13 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
You're right in that Asian voters almost always vote for Democrats, but it is amplified at the lower incomes levels...specifically among Vietnamese, Korean, Filipino, and other Southeast Asian minorities. However, they do start moving right as their income rises...althought it's still a small number. The Asian community is to some degree like the AA community in terms of voting paterns. Poorer AA/Asians practically ALWAYS vote for Democrats and more wealthy AA/Asian almost always vote for Democrats. I'm not saying the numbers that vote GOP are high in any capacity...I'm saying that traditionally Democratic strongholds begin moving to the right a bit once higher incomes are in play.

With regards to your last point...That is a bit of a strawman. You're correct in that higher education (beyond the Bachelor) level tends to move voters to the left, but it's basically a push at the Bachelor level...particularlly with men. So it's kind of a strawman to say that the GOP base is "anti-education." The GOP recognizes that our public education system is garbage. We spend more money and get lower results than other countries...the Democratic solution is the same thing the Democratic solution always is...pump money into it. Any talks of reform from the GOP level in favor of charter schools is met with harsh criticism.

Anti-abortion: That one is certainly true amongst the religious wing of the party but the more moderate and libertarian republicans could care less about abortion.

Anti-government services: Anything the government does beyond what can't be done in the private sector pulls from entrepreneurial opportunity. All Republicans believe that government has a role to play and no one will deny that...we just differ on how much of a role. Again, it's a strawman. The wording should read anti-excessive government services.

Anti-Science: This one makes me shake my head. I don't disagree with you here. I believe the GOP takes an "anti-science" stance a lot of the time and I don't like it.

Pro Creation/Religion: Kinda falls in line with the anti-science thing. Again...I don't like it. I'm not a Creatoinist by any stretch of the imagination because it isn't science. If you want to teach your kid about "Creation," thats fine...just do it in church. Evolution is the scientific consensus, therefore it should be taught...point blank.

The issue that you left out that I think is worth mentioning is that the GOP is the party supported by small business owners. Small business is the lifeblood of America. These people are the engines of our economy, because all businesses eventually start from humble beginnings. In 2012, 61% of all small business owners supported the GOP and for good reason. The policies espoused by Romney/Ryan are favorable to small business, which is in turn favorable to the citizens of the community they are located in because it creates more jobs, more competition, better prices, and better opportunities. That is the most important thing the GOP represents.
How much time and energy has the GOP put into job creation since Obama has been in office? They had no time to waste on such an issue because it would not have left enough time to vote for defunding The ACA forty eight times or holding a record number of filibusters. Not to mention all of the bogus hearings on Benghazi and blocking all of Obama's choices for appointees.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:25 PM

525 posts, read 507,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How much time and energy has the GOP put into job creation since Obama has been in office? They had no time to waste on such an issue because it would not have left enough time to vote for defunding The ACA forty eight times or holding a record number of filibusters. Not to mention all of the bogus hearings on Benghazi and blocking all of Obama's choices for appointees.
I would think the rationale is that fighting to defund ACA is the wish of their constituency. ACA is unpopular in most polls but particularly unpopular with small business owners that are impacted. With regards to Benghazi...I don't think you're really asking me why the GOP brings it up are you? If you sincerely need an answer, then I've given you too much credit.

But I agree...The GOP is making their presence too negative. They have lost direction in my opinion...they don't stand for really anything except to be against Obama.

The GOP needs to be the advocates of job creation at all times...not just election season.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:39 PM

7,449 posts, read 5,714,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Ghost Busters? LOL
Data is data even though it's from mother stoned jones.. LMAO! Oh, I can't wait.. No reason for 1/3 of the moonbats to vote because it's not a racism issue. Common 2014!!

Old 11-01-2013, 01:42 PM

7,443 posts, read 6,989,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Question to you GOP'ers (and anyone else) - Help me understand why the GOP is so ignorant and seems to wish to become a permanent minority party. The decisions by the GOP are quite strange to me, their recent actions don't reflect of a party that has any desire to be a real national party and they consistently vote against the interests of their constituents.

1. Pushing Amnesty - I never understood why there was such an interest by the GOP to bring in millions of people who will likely never vote for the GOP. National polls have shown this, even when the GOP panders exclusively to them. Yet, McCain, and other GOP leaders have a fetish for cheap labor, even if it means destroying the party's ability to ever win a national election again. I understand why the Democrats want it, it will swell their constituency, but the GOP is fooling themselves if they think they'll get any real electoral benefit from mass amnesty. To me, it is strange almost laughable.

2. Sequestration- The GOP votes for Sequestration, and puts up cuts that seriously hurt their interests (namely defense), while the impact to Democrat interests under Sequestration are much more limited. When presented the opportunity to lift sequestration caps during the shutdown, they stubbornly hold to them and willingly continued to cut their nose to spite their face. Again, very strange.

3. Affordable Healthcare and the government shutdown - Rather than making their protest known and capitalizing on the frustrations and negative experiences with the roll out of the ACA, they chose to shutdown the government to make a point. Shifting all the attention away from the problems for nearly a month, they did more to further marginalize themselves in the eyes of the American Electorate.

Worse, instead of offering a viable solution to the ACA or modifying it, they simply wanted to dismantle it. I can't see how this would ever play to the national electorate. Essentially, no matter what your political ideology, the idea of keeping the current broken system, fighting getting more people health insurance coverage and shutting down the government to do so seems like a crazy political strategy.

I can't see how the GOP will be a relevant national party in 10 years, maybe much sooner.

Wait, did the GOP support Obamacare or something? That's right, they didn't. See you in 2014:

Mother Jones Shocker: 'New Poll Shows Democratic Incumbents in Big Trouble' | NewsBusters

OOPS - JUST SAW THIS LINK WAS ALREADY POSTED.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,399,489 times
"Why does the GOP desire to be a permanent minority party Why does the GOP desire to be a permanent minority party"

didn't read the thread

but...

i can determine by the title that the OP and the party he/she represents wants:

republicans (the conservatives) to become liberal and throw away any beliefs or convictions they personally have because they are evil and hateful or whatever adjective is being used this week.

republicans (the conservatives) to AGREE and auto cosign any and all policies that the current majority party comes up with otherwise they are villians and "OBSTRUCTIONISTS"

---

POLITICAL "ADVICE" FROM ONE PARTY TO THE OTHER IS ONE OF THE MOST LAUGHABLE CONCEPTS I CAN THINK OF

AND IT'S EVEN MORE LAUGHABLE WHEN "LEADERS" IN THE OTHER PARTY BUY INTO THE NONSENSE AND STILL COME UP ON THE LOSING END OF THE STICK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies