Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
$756 dollar a month for 5 people is $4.97 a whole 24hr day per person for food. That might be a little tight don't you think?
Not even a little tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Efficient and fraud free??? There is fraud....Google it. There is millions of dollars in food stamp fraud.
Efficient yes, I never wrote fraud free. In fact, I wrote that EVERY human endeavor has some level of corruption. The question is why do so many focus on the relatively small amount of fraud in the food stamp program when there are much larger programs that have much more fraud and waste?

And that is because those people don't care about fraud and waste, they just hate poor people and they see the whole fake concern about fraud and waste as an in to express their repugnant views about poor people.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
$756 dollar a month for 5 people is $4.97 a whole 24hr day per person for food. That might be a little tight don't you think?
4 people.

$6.30 per day.

And 4 people pooling their $25/per day can eat well.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM

455 posts, read 898,520 times
Quote:
Oh for crying out loud not this dumb argument.

Ok there is a landlord, that says to tenants if you tend my garden around my property, I will take $100 dollars a month off in rent.

Now the landlord can either wait till the end of the year and right a check for $1200 or the landlord can take the $100 dollars upfront off the monthly rent. Either way, whether the landlord mails a check or not, the landlord is spending $1200.

The federal government works the same way. As tax payers we owe taxes by law. To OWE means the money doesn't belong to you. Ok, this is no semantics, but reality.

The government is owed taxes, if the federal government collected all taxes owed and then mailed out checks based on the various tax deductions, breaks, credits, that is the same thing as the federal government not collecting those taxes in the first place. Either way the government is spending.
So you do understand that based on the law, we as taxpayers are under constant threat of "owing" more and more through no fault of our own, based on irresponsible spending on part of the "landlord", right?
If the landlord comes around next year and tells me, "Ok, you still need to do the garden, and I will still take off $100 dollars from the rent, but I'm also raising the rent by $50 dollars not because you do a crappy gardening job and not because the apartments are worth more now, but because I'm really bad with money and I wasted my budget by not addressing things. So, therefore, I am holding you, the tenant, responsible, because under the law, you "owe" me whatever amount I dream up, and for whatever purposes. Because I am your landlord. If you don't like it, move to another complex."

This ties into your military spending thing which I agree with.
Do you think the responsibility rests on the shoulders of the tenants to maintain the complex, or the landlord? Do you think it's "fair" to grab more money from the wallets of the very people making it possible for the place to function, in order to give more of it to the tenants living there for free?
What's the limit of what we "owe"?
Is there a limit?
Or are we simply slaves with nothing of value than our labor, who deserve less and less of the benefits of our own labor because we owe it to those who don't lift a finger even when they're capable?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
All that waste in federal spending is the truth, so why not hold Obama accountable and demand he read the damn GAO report and take action, and save more money then any tax increase?

GAO Details Billions in Federal Waste

The Defense Department takes a number of hits in the report. The GAO found many instances of duplication in the sprawling agency. The use of "urgent need" funds have been expanded, GAO found, with "multiple places for a warfighter to submit" such requests. GAO found that the Pentagon has "no tracking mechanism" for these funds, resulting in an estimated $77 billion in overlap since 2005.

An analysis of 18 different programs across three federal agencies that deal with domestic food assistance found that though multiple programs can ensure the needy have access to food, "administrative costs increase significantly," with GAO estimating a $62.5 billion expense to the government from overlap and duplication. Better coordination of hazardous material assessments between TSA and the Department of Transportation could save the government more than $1 million.
Again, those sums are very small when compared to the overall federal budget, but yes the 77billion in fraud from the PENTAGON is the whole size of the food stamp program.

Yet that 77billion of fraud won't get any attention because people don't care about waste or fraud. They just hate poor people.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I know Spring Hill very well. It's beautiful. But besides the point.

I have 5 people in my house plus pets and spend $500-$600 per month on groceries.

They certainly can make it on that budget even with the decrease in benefit.

I know it well too. I have family that have and still do live there for 30 years now. I'll bet your like me, and can probably all too well know this woman's story. Those of us who saw the destruction of Spring Hill. Part of which was internal and part of which was external. It's a true picture of what too many parasites can do to the host. (Although part of Spring Hill's problem was the host inviting the parasites in this case).

Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't read this thread as an attack on the foodstamp program. I read this thread as commentary on a woman with two grown daughters living with her, along with a grandchild, and struggling to feed the four on $800/month. And the two points being made, that $800 should be able to feed them and feed them well, and that the daughter with a child should be able to work since she has two relatives right there in the home to babysit while she's at work, are valid points. No one is accusing this woman of fraud. But the two points made about this situation are valid. And that's not hate. This woman made her story public. The public has a right to respond.
I don't care about that women or her family or the news report or what people feel about them.

$800 a month for 5 people is $5.12 per day per person. That means each individual has $5 dollars to spend on food for the whole day. That is not a lot of money.

Also, we don't decide who qualifies for programs based on news reports and tv programs. We don't decide who gets to participate in other government programs based on if they have lived their lives a certain why and how we feel about their lives and if therefore would be deemed deserving by some subset of the American population.

We don't do this kind of irrational judgment of any other programs.

You either legally qualify for program and if you do you deserve it or you don't and thus you don't legally deserve it.

That is the standard, not this I don't like their lifestyle so.....

Well let's subject everyone who gets a government benefit to that same standard.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I know it well too. I have family that have and still do live there for 30 years now. I'll bet your like me, and can probably all too well know this woman's story. Those of us who saw the destruction of Spring Hill. Part of which was internal and part of which was external. It's a true picture of what too many parasites can do to the host. (Although part of Spring Hill's problem was the host inviting the parasites in this case).
You hit every nail right on the head. I too have family there. It's gorgeous and we almost went but hubby has a good job that cannot be replicated there. Too much risk. Now to see what has happened there is a shame.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 PM

455 posts, read 898,520 times
Quote:
Again, those sums are very small when compared to the overall federal budget, but yes the 77billion in fraud from the PENTAGON is the whole size of the food stamp program.

Yet that 77billion of fraud won't get any attention because people don't care about waste or fraud. They just hate poor people.
I'm beginning to think you're trolling.
You can't honestly believe that all Conservatives legitimately hate poor people. Hell, I know many Conservatives that are hardly above the poverty line and don't hate the poor.
Are you only talking about Conservatives in government?

If you actually believe what you say about all of them hating poor people, it speaks to some serious issues on your part, and it's bad enough to seek help for.

And if you don't, well then good job on the epic troll.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
If Iamme73 had a dollar for every time he/she said "I don't care" while complaining that Conservatives don't care, he/she wouldn't need food stamps for a month.
conservatives make a lot of stupid irrelevant points that I don't care about. I mean your personal feelings are important to you as well they should be, but your personal feelings about complete strangers and government policy is completely irrelevant and I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies