Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 02:25 PM

577 posts, read 435,902 times

Advertisements

To answer the question regarding maternity and catastrophic. According to the ACA there are 5 categories of health care... and Catastrophic is one of the FIVE.. it states on the healthcare.gov site that

Quote:
Plans in all categories offer the same set of 10 essential health benefits and the categories do not reflect the quality of care the plans provide.
So that means that the catastrophic plans for those under 30 would cover maternity should there be an unexpected pregnancy. The out of pocket on said pregnancy will likely be higher than the other plans (that is unconfirmed)..

Source: https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/how-...right-for-you/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
To answer the question regarding maternity and catastrophic. According to the ACA there are 5 categories of health care... and Catastrophic is one of the FIVE.. it states on the healthcare.gov site that

So that means that the catastrophic plans for those under 30 would cover maternity should there be an unexpected pregnancy. The out of pocket on said pregnancy will likely be higher than the other plans (that is unconfirmed)..

Source: https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/how-...right-for-you/
The same as what I kept finding......meaning this thread is not based in fact.
Not unless somebody can come up with more than that one sentence in that one article.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
As for maternity care...guys, hate to break it to you but you can still get a woman pregnant even if you are 85. Besides, it's good for the country for women -- even those you don't know -- to have healthy babies. Do it for your country!

If at age 85 I as a female got pregnant... you wouldn't have to worry about me using maternity care.. the shock enough would kill me...

And if your talking about a man at 85 FATHERING A child... what the heck has that got to do with maternity care? We going to start giving the man money back for his wigglies? Jeez....... Men DO NOT need maternity care.... EVER!!!!

And as far as making this out to be some kind of patriotic act... well... that isn't even worth my time to post my response.......

Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
If at age 85 I as a female got pregnant... you wouldn't have to worry about me using maternity care.. the shock enough would kill me...

And if your talking about a man at 85 FATHERING A child... what the heck has that got to do with maternity care? We going to start giving the man money back for his wigglies? Jeez....... Men DO NOT need maternity care.... EVER!!!!

And as far as making this out to be some kind of patriotic act... well... that isn't even worth my time to post my response.......
Goodness, your sense of humor needs a transfusion...stat!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Not all parents are stupid enough to allow a bunch of basement dwellers to stay on their policies.

But I'll bet the ones that do are all Dems.
It's not free insurance. You have to pay to stay on your parents' insurance...

Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post

Wouldn't an 85 yo woman most likely be on Medicare?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
All plans are required to include maternity care. Considering it's usually a man that gets a woman pregnant, why shouldn't men pay for maternity coverage? If maternity is only included in women's plans, that means only women are paying, which isn't fair considering they're only half responsible for any pregnancy.

Five myths about the Affordable Care Act - The Washington Post

This guy agrees with me.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...#axzz2jXjOpNTa

Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That is true however, it does not address what the op started this thread about.
Why is the age group most likely to get pregnant being allowed to buy policies not including maternity benefits?

It most certainly does address it--the age group most likely to get pregnant isn't required to obtain that component for the very same reason that others who won't (or can't) benefit have to pay in. Good grief, it's more than clear.

It's a redistribution scheme, plain and simple. I don't need maternity care (I'm done), and shouldn't be required to obtain a policy which includes that or anything else I don't need or want.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It most certainly does address it--the age group most likely to get pregnant isn't required to obtain that component for the very same reason that others who won't (or can't) benefit have to pay in. Good grief, it's more than clear.

It's a redistribution scheme, plain and simple. I don't need maternity care (I'm done), and shouldn't be required to obtain a policy which includes that or anything else I don't need or want.
Well, I don't need to buy maternity care either but guess what? It's a covered expense in whichever employer-sponsored health plan I choose.

Oh noes! What should I do?????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies