Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

In case you missed it, I highly recommend the following 9 minutes. Very well done and informative.

Videos - Military Cancer: An extraordinary video essay on the History of the U.S. War Machine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
I agree with the OP. For some reason, the military is glorified in the US. Americans love hero worship. If people want to throw their lives away fighting the special interests of the rich, go for it. If they want to throw their lives away to impose our nation's will upon the people of other lands, go for it. But I will not respect you one ounce more than any other human being for it. I may respect you less.

Also, I agree with most of what's said here:

The military is a cult | The Wise Sloth

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,756 times
The troops are victims.

They are dying because of warmongers.

Warmongers control the media and present wars they create for the purpose of gaining strategically and financially as "attacks against the American way of life".

Anyone who believes we are being attacked because of our "freedoms" is a fool and you do not deserve true freedom.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So if a police officer helps you out of a situation where a criminal has broken in to your house, and has pointed a gun to your head, according to you, because the police officer might shoot that criminal, and kill him, you would much rather they not even bother because, to you, it doesn't mean anything. Because, that's what our military is...on a larger scale.
No, our military is usually analogous to the criminal in your scenario, which is precisely the point.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 PM

455 posts, read 598,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I agree with the OP. For some reason, the military is glorified in the US. Americans love hero worship. If people want to throw their lives away fighting the special interests of the rich, go for it. If they want to throw their lives away to impose our nation's will upon the people of other lands, go for it. But I will not respect you one ounce more than any other human being for it. I may respect you less.

Also, I agree with most of what's said here:

The military is a cult | The Wise Sloth
Like I said, I don't expect, nor do I really care how you feel. I don't want your "pity" for supposedly "throwing my life away". I don't expect a thank you or a hand out.

I joined the military for reasons you probably couldn't/wouldn't care about or even fathom. I made that decision at 20 years old in full conscience and knew exactly what I was getting into. I freely volunteered. In my 16 years in the Army, I've experienced more than probably most people will in a lifetime; the good and the bad and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

I've lost many friends over the years in both Iraq and Afghanistan, in peacetime and in war. But those friends and coworkers of mine took the oath freely.

I don't need your "respect", that comes from the soldier besides me.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Funny you didn't quote that part of my post since that's pretty much exactly what I said

I have a lot of respect for them, but it's their choice and it is just a job. Many people in society do a job that puts their life in danger for us.

No it is not just a job. No job compares with those going to war. They don't come home to a loving family every day after work. They aren't there to help the kids with homework or go to their sports games. They miss holidays too. The war is their life for however long they are deployed for. The atrocities they see are something the rest of us can only imagine. They come home in body bags, lost limbs, and PTSD. Yes, it is their choice because they love this country and want to defend and protect all of us. If they didn't choose to go into the military then I guess we wouldn't have one.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Really? I thought the purpose of the military is to defend the country. No?
Well, I'm not sure when the last time was that troops defended the country? At least since 1941 and maybe before that.

And they "defend" the country by destroying property and killing people. Do they not?

Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
About the only property I've destroyed is when I hooked up my Humvee wench to some couple's wrought iron door in New Orleans to yank it off after the door jam swelled shut from water damage. Then there was this one time, we kicked down and destroyed a door to recover the body of a woman who'd passed away. Then there was this one time, we knocked over a section fence with my front nerf bar to recover the body of a man who'd been swept away from the marina after he tried to ride out the storm. His family had been looking for him for three weeks.

And then...wait...get this...we knocked down and destroyed people's doors with ASPCA volunteers to look for abandoned animals and found dozens of dogs and cats. Oh...that was after Katrina when I was down there helping folks try to recover their lives and belongings. I'll save my starting a group donation and support for battered women in Saudi Arabia story for another day.

Tell me again internet tough guy, exactly where I signed up to destory property and kill people?

At least get the purpose, oh I mean mission of the US Army correct if you were in for eight years:
"The Army’s mission is to fight and win our Nation’s wars by providing prompt, sustained land dominance across the full range of military operations and spectrum of conflict in support of combatant commanders."

FM-1

It is the intent of Congress to provide an Army that is capable, in conjunction with the other armed forces, of-
  1. preserving the peace and security, and providing for the defense, of the United States, the Territories, Commonwealths, and possessions, and any areas occupied by the United States;
  2. supporting the national policies;
  3. implementing the national objectives; and
  4. overcoming any nations responsible for aggressive acts that imperil the peace and security of the United States.
Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 3062 (a)

I neither want nor need your respect.
Not sure what is so hard to understand. The purpose of the military is to fight war. War means the destruction of property and the killing of people. Unless you can name a war where that didn't happen?

Therefore, troops that volunteer are volunteering to destroy property and kill people. It's not my fault you refuse to accept that. Not sure what your problem is. It is right there in the Army's mission statement you reprinted. Unless you think they can achieve those goals peacefully? lols.

Then you tell me you neither want or need my respect but you list all your alleged accomplishments in the military. lols. Typical of military people.

Good for you, Internet tough guy. Get your panties in a bunch because someone pointed out the only purpose of the military is to fight war, which means killing people. Internet tough guy. lmfao.

By the way, I neither respect nor disrespect you. I do not know you. And I could care less what you did/do in the military. I was in and did virtually the same things as you describe except I was out before N.O. It wasn't a big deal to me.

Last edited by OhioRules; 11-05-2013 at 05:23 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Funny, that wasn't how it was when I was in. Does it happen? It happens, no one ever said war was pretty. But that is not the sole purpose of the military, and you know it.
The sole purpose of the military is to fight war. Without militaries there is no war.

I'm not sure why we want to pretend differently. To make ourselves feel better about supporting death, I suspect.

The military has one purpose: to kill foreigners. Sometimes it may be necessary. Normally it's just to feed the politician's ego.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Please look up 9/11.

Also, very cheaply militarily intervening in other countries in order to bring democracy there and especially to save civilian lives there is not justifiable?
By that line of thinking it would be justifiable for China to invade the United States and set up whatever government they see fit.

Are you okay with that? Then you shouldn't be okay with the United States doing the same other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies