Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I wouldn't use the term "the troops."
Yeah, only because by doing so you are massacring a sacred cow.

Why do people love the troops but not cops? They're pretty much the same thing. Only difference is the troops kill people in other countries, while the cops kill people we know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Yeah, only because by doing so you are massacring a sacred cow.

Why do people love the troops but not cops? They're pretty much the same thing. Only difference is the troops kill people in other countries, while the cops kill people we know.
I wouldn't use the term, because it's focusing on the wrong thing. The troops aren't really the same as the cops. If you're focusing on individual abuses or misdeeds, perhaps, but the troops don't set defense policy and they don't have a vote on whether they get to be sent to war or not, they just do what they're told.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Are they giving their lives for us, though? Or for special interests? Think about it.
It is not the military's duty to decide what special interests may be involved. It is the military's duty to carry out orders from their superiors. Their superiors are who YOU elected. So when they give up their lives, they are giving them up IN YOUR NAME. I can tell you that 40 plus years ago, we had capability that stagger the mind. I assume the same still holds true today. We have the most sophisticated weaponry and the best and brightest minds on the planet operating and maintaining that equipment. From the marine carrying his rifle to the pilot launching off an aircraft carrier. They are simply the best.. My marines were the finest young men I ever knew. Semper fi
Doc

Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
73% of older teens/younger 20s say they have a 'high or very high' opinion of the Armed Forces in the UK, I'm sure it's considerably higher in the United States. Over 90% of people say they support the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan even if they disagree with the war itself.

http://www.openbriefing.org/docs/bsa29_armed_forces.pdf
How does such support = "worship"?

That is how you described such support in your opening post.

Defend it.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
In my opinion, Afghanistan was a war we didn't start, they attacked us. As for all the other wars, they weren't started by our military. They were started by our civilian government leaders. So which presidents sent troops to Korea, Vietnam, & Bosnia/Kosovo?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
The God of Americans Is the Military – LewRockwell.com

Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Yeah, I realize that we need a military just in case someone attacks us. But do you think the country goes overboard in worshiping them without criticism the way they do? Our country is the bully of the world and the troops are the bullies. I think fighting for your country is a noble thing, but only if you are defending your country from enemies, not going in and economically conquering nations who have economic policies you disagree with and or resources you want.
Worshiping them? LOL Are you sure?

All I have seen is military bashing threads. One after another.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Are they giving their lives for us, though? Or for special interests? Think about it.
It seems that you think that they are giving up their lives for "special interests".

Define those "special interests" and state what wars that the current administration are waging that facilitate such "interests".

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Yeah, I realize that we need a military just in case someone attacks us. But do you think the country goes overboard in worshiping them without criticism the way they do? Our country is the bully of the world and the troops are the bullies. I think fighting for your country is a noble thing, but only if you are defending your country from enemies, not going in and economically conquering nations who have economic policies you disagree with and or resources you want.

What war have we fought since 1945 that's been justified or in the interest of defending our country from harm or conquest?

Just following orders wasn't an excuse in 1945, and it shouldn't be an excuse in 2013. Our sanctions on Iraq plus the 2 wars probably killed more Iraqis than Saddam's regime killed. While I'm not defending Saddam, why didn't we declare war on Suharto who killed a million of his own people between 1965 and 1997? Oh yeah, because the United States put him there since they preferred his free market policies over those of Sukarno.

I'm not cold hearted. I'm not gonna spit on the soldiers, and it makes me angry so many of them are denied the help and benefits they rightly deserve by having served their government and corporate masters. They're people too and they have rights and should be treated nicely. But I'm not gonna thank them for their service, just because they got off the Call of Duty and got to fight in a real war and kill real people. Our military goes way beyond self defense of the nation.

So yeah, I'm not gonna give a person a standing ovation just because they served in our bully army.
I am getting SO DISGUSTED of the US Military bashing, over 90% of the threads bashing military troops for 'alleged' war crimes are started by people that hate the United States for one reason or another, and launch threads based on rumors, BS and outright lies, with very little to no research done to confirm the stories posted.

Are you making a public announcement when you posted "But I am not gonna thank them for their service, just because they got off the call of duty and got to fight in a real war and kill real people." I highly doubt military men and women care to hear your "thank you for your service." Please don't think so highly of yourself.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:30 AM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Many join the military for various reasons. Any that enter into that life are fools if they do not realize that they may be called to give their lives if the "country" asks it of them. Once they take that oath, they serve, no matter what the cause. If they join the military for educational benefits (or any other self serving reason) and do not realize that they may be asked to do something to earn that benefit, they are fools.

The vast majority are painfully aware that once they go to MEPS their life is not their own. They will live how the military dictates. They will police what their Commander in Chief tells them to. For the majority of service members politics do not matter. If their country calls them to act, they will, no matter if they agree with the mission or not. When some one gives back to their country so selflessly they deserve respect. Some give it, some don't.

What is important to remember is that no one individual in the military makes the call to fight. That comes from the Commander in Chief and the Congress. Those that are willing to answer that call do deserve respect, for they are willing to set aside their dreams for the greater good. We may not agree with the mission(s) but, we must remember that the service member did not make the mission, it came from higher up the chain of command.

There are few fools in the military. They know what may be in their futures, and yet they choose the be the ones that will make the difference.

Who among you are willing to give up their individualism? Who among you are willing to enter a world where you could be called to lay your life on the line?

Are they over rated? Hell no! Walter Czawlytko is my uncle. Is he over rated?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies