Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 04:57 PM

275 posts, read 178,420 times

Advertisements

The constitution doesn't forbid it and if you had read 1 of those links I posted at least 3 states in their constitution kept the right to leave the union of they so chose. States are sovereign. Its a contract and can be ended at any time...just because the US government has the bigger guns don't mean jack...push people far enough they will push back.I don't think we are going to have to worry about secession though states wise splitting from the US. I think the country will collapse soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
The constitution doesn't forbid it and if you had read 1 of those links I posted at least 3 states in their constitution kept the right to leave the union of they so chose. States are sovereign. Its a contract and can be ended at any time...just because the US government has the bigger guns don't mean jack...push people far enough they will push back.I don't think we are going to have to worry about secession though states wise splitting from the US. I think the country will collapse soon enough.
There is nothing in the Constitution that allows a state to leave the union as well, which means there is no legal way for a state to do that. If it were to ever happen, a state could be faced with the same force that came from the South trying to leave.

Which almost all states would be face with an economic collapse that would take decades to pick themselves up from, if they managed to survive the military invasion, which would be followed by an occupation.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:22 PM

Oh so since its not in the constitution its not allowed...do you seriously know how many things that aren't in the constitution that we have or do now? I mean seriously think about that...I don't think there would be an economic collapse I think China or Russia or Iran would take advantage and either attack the US or simply Acknowledge the existence of the new country and sign a MDP with them...making any attack by the US suicide.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Oh so since its not in the constitution its not allowed...do you seriously know how many things that aren't in the constitution that we have or do now? I mean seriously think about that...I don't think there would be an economic collapse I think China or Russia or Iran would take advantage and either attack the US or simply Acknowledge the existence of the new country and sign a MDP with them...making any attack by the US suicide.
There is no legal process for which a state can go about leaving the union. You might be right, foreign countries might take advantage of the new country and attack and occupy it in order to have control of a portion of US soil.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM

There is no need for legal recourse. Its a contract. Just like a contract you give notice you are leaving and that's that.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
The constitution doesn't forbid it and if you had read 1 of those links I posted at least 3 states in their constitution kept the right to leave the union of they so chose.
Name them, and quote for us those specific clauses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper
States are sovereign. Its a contract and can be ended at any time...just because the US government has the bigger guns don't mean jack...push people far enough they will push back.
Nonsense. The Constitution is absolutely not a contract, not by the even the most liberal sense of the word. Contracts are entered into freely by all parties, and the Constitution was imposed on a significant number of unwilling persons when it was written and ratified, and has maintained coercive authority over a certain number of unwilling persons ever since.

And it seems that you've forotten that we actually had a civil war to settle the issue over whether or not "the bigger guns... mean jack."

Guess what? They mean jack.

As Justice Scalia wrote, " If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. "

Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Name them, and quote for us those specific clauses.

Nonsense. The Constitution is absolutely not a contract, not by the even the most liberal sense of the word. Contracts are entered into freely by all parties, and the Constitution was imposed on a significant number of unwilling persons when it was written and ratified, and has maintained coercive authority over a certain number of unwilling persons ever since.

And it seems that you've forotten that we actually had a civil war to settle the issue over whether or not "the bigger guns... mean jack."

Guess what? They mean jack.

As Justice Scalia wrote, " If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. "
Good then we can scrap it since you don't like it? Sounds good to me. Give me a minute to find the link again.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Avalon Project - Ratification of the Constitution by the State of Virginia; June 26, 1788

Virginia

Walter Williams also states New York and Rhode Island kept it in theirs. You can find it...crap is giving me a headache reading it lol..

Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Good then we can scrap it since you don't like it? Sounds good to me. Give me a minute to find the link again.
Where did he say he didn't like the Constitution?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:59 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Quote:
There is no need for legal recourse. Its a contract. Just like a contract you give notice you are leaving and that's that.
Apparently you have never heard of the U.S. Civil War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies