Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
That's not what happened here.

The contract originally was for $93 million BTW.
How do you figure it's not?

They paid $93+M to get it set up, and it failed. Contractor tilts head 15 degrees and says, oh, we're sorry.

Uncle Same says, what'll it cost to get it right and functional?

Contractor names the price, and Uncle Sam agrees to pay more. I am almost positive this is not the first time a contractor failed to meet expectations, are you naive to think it's otherwise?

People do need to be aware that contractors, even the ones that can't make things work properly the first time, are given many chances to fix what's wrong.

We paid $93M for something that doesn't work, and will pay another $93M or more, to get it to work. Are we surprised at all? We shouldn't be. If you're mad about this, think of all the other times the government has paid for stuff that didn't work, our government has a track record of being stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 03:24 AM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Already paid more than six times that amount.

What cronyism allowed this to not have a penalty clause in it as civilian contractors do?
There was a "drop dead" date for a functioning product.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:29 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Been there, and done that goingback. I'll give an example here;

a contractor low balled a bid on a project $250,000.00, the project began, seemed to be working, but wasn't 100%, problems arose, the government came in and asked what the problem was, and the contractor stated they didn't believe or think it was going to end up that way, so, the contractor told the government, if you want us to fix it, it will cost you more, government says, okay, how much more, contractor says $750,000.00 more, government says okay, but make it right this time, contractor says, well, we'll try.

This is a true story, I'm not jiven' you either man. This happened at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center years ago. I'm certain it happens quite a lot.

Part of the problem is once a contractor get's his/her foot in the door on contracts, they're legally bound, even if the contractor fails to perform satisfactorily. It would be the same if I brought a car to you to fix, you fixed one thing, but a part connected to it failed because you might have been trying to save me some $$$.
That's a pretty small contract but even so I am wondering about the performance and payment bond the company had to post to get the project? Or was the company a minority owned business where bonds are waived?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
That's a pretty small contract but even so I am wondering about the performance and payment bond the company had to post to get the project? Or was the company a minority owned business where bonds are waived?
I don't know or have that 411, but you might do a Bing or Google on it, maybe the 411 is out there somewhere, maybe not.

I can say this about the contractor I spoke of which did the environmental project @ GLNTC, I did not see any women or minorities working the project at all. Mostly southern gentlemen based in the state of Georgia, at least that was the contractor's home state, decals on their trucks. They did subcontract local equipment operators and semi dump trucks for the project.

//www.city-data.com/forum/26923335-post5.html

Old 11-03-2013, 02:19 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Shell games.
Yeah basically, but much of it legal. Govt has it's own special accounting rules it can take advantage of. It's own special BK too, with unique definitions, even for insolvency.

Also, as I mentioned govt is financially benefiting from this company. Go follow back the shares of this publicly traded, "institutionally" held corp.

Last edited by CDusr; 11-03-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Let's see here goingback,

hypothetically, you fixed my car or installed something on it, and it's not working properly, and, I paid you a lot of money for the service you provided.

Do you believe, or even think I'm going to take my car somewhere else to fix what you should have fixed to begin with? Absolutely not, I paid you for it, therefore, it's your baby, whether you want it back or not, you own your own work.
Actually you dont know anything about the law, because what the law says is that you can take your car elsewhere, and the place that didnt do it properly is responsible to fix it since you've already paid them..

Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Been there, and done that goingback. I'll give an example here;

a contractor low balled a bid on a project $250,000.00, the project began, seemed to be working, but wasn't 100%, problems arose, the government came in and asked what the problem was, and the contractor stated they didn't believe or think it was going to end up that way, so, the contractor told the government, if you want us to fix it, it will cost you more, government says, okay, how much more, contractor says $750,000.00 more, government says okay, but make it right this time, contractor says, well, we'll try.

This is a true story, I'm not jiven' you either man. This happened at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center years ago. I'm certain it happens quite a lot.

Part of the problem is once a contractor get's his/her foot in the door on contracts, they're legally bound, even if the contractor fails to perform satisfactorily. It would be the same if I brought a car to you to fix, you fixed one thing, but a part connected to it failed because you might have been trying to save me some $$$.
Wrong.. The contractor in your example is required to fix it, provided the bid proposal actually listed the demands.

The fact that the contractor didnt "expect" problems to arrise, doesnt mean they get more money.

Its unbelievable that adults actually dont know this.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The website works! I picked up my mail and lo and behold, there was a welcoming letter from the insurance carrier I picked on Obamacare website about a week or so ago! I couldn't believe my eyes. The letter instructs me to go look at the "SBC" on their website, but no info on how or when I am to pay for the coverage. Still, after all the hassles I went through initially (it worked smoothly the last attempt, though) there is hope that I actually will get my new insurance on 1/1.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Not surprising. Corruption and graft are pretty much the way the democrats do things.

It's very very clear by now that the firm wasn't chosen for it's competency.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
QSSI was responsible for the data hub, which by the accounts I've read, is not where the problems lie. It seems more blame has rested on CGI Federal. You can't assume that QSSI is being paid more to make right something they themselves built poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies