Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times

Advertisements

> If you're a doctor you have a license from the state that enables you to make more money than people in almost any other occupation. For a doctor to refuse Medicare or Medicaid patients is just immoral.

I tend to agree with this, although I can see why a doctor might want to limit the number of patients in these programs.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds like doublespeak for single payer, government controlled healthcare in my humble opinion.
Like, you know, the wildly popular Medicare?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Read what the candidate ACTUALLY says... then tell us what you disagree with.
Be sure to quote the source though. OK?

Terry’s Platform for Putting Virginia First: Healthcare | Terry McAuliffe for Governor
How is Terry McAuliffe THE CANDIDATE when the article is about Kathleen Murphy?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
If you're a doctor you have a license from the state that enables you to make more money than people in almost any other occupation. For a doctor to refuse Medicare or Medicaid patients is just immoral.
You seem to think that there should be a law, that every time a Dr treats a patient they have to lose money. A lot of Medicare or Medicaid patients is a sure way to go Bankrupt.

What they should be doing instead of saying a Dr has to take patients and lose money, is to raise the amount they pay the Dr so he/she can afford to stay in business. Of course they would have to raise the taxes on everyone else to raise that much more money to pay the Dr.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If you're a doctor you have a license from the state that enables you to make more money than people in almost any other occupation. For a doctor to refuse Medicare or Medicaid patients is just immoral.
I agree. This is the only country where doctors are real estate barons. In the city in Fla where I live, doctors are among the wealthiest citizens in town. Many of them do not take new patients. Their parking lots are full of Porsches and other high end cars. They own a massive amount of local real estate. They hang out with all the socialites and wealthy members of society here. They are regularly wined and dined by pharmaceutical salesman at the best restaurants in town. Shutting the elderly and poor out of health care is caused by greed.

Meanwhile people do die because they have no access to health care. In others countries people make a decent living but nothing like the wealth they accumulate in the US. Granted, their schooling is expensive, but these days that is true for everyone and other occupations cannot recoup student loans as easily as doctors do. There should also be tort reform so that doctors are not forced to carry extremely expensive malpractice insurance. Why does everything in this country come back to the insurance industry?

We should have a single-payer system like every other industrialized nation. I'd wager a lot of those doctors who refuse care for those on medicaid and medicare have the nerve to call themselves Christians.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:
Totally disagree with this incredibly obtuse and asinine statement.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
A doctor should be treated like any other professional... free to sell services at their own discretion. The government has no right to insist that they take any patient, especially one where they receive delayed and/or below market compensation.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
A doctor should be treated like any other professional... free to sell services at their own discretion. The government has no right to insist that they take any patient, especially one where they receive delayed and/or below market compensation.
Well put. You clearly have an IQ of 100 or more.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:32 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Democrat calls for law to require all doctors to treat Medicaid & Medicare patients...

You would think that when your political party is burying a hole that is getting harder and harder to get out of, you wouldn't want to that hole get deeper faster. Kathleen Murphy, Democrat running for the Virginia House of Delegates, believes it should law to force doctors to accept Medicare and Medicaid patients. Forced by government decree, mind you.
Don't know about this, but I'm pretty sure Maryland already has a law that prevents hospitals from refusing any insurance. I just glanced at it on the internet the other day, so not sure of the particulars.

The Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) that have been formed under the ACA (roughly 350 of them and more being organized--the hospital where my wife works has one), are groups of doctors that get financial incentives for providing preventive services that keep people out of the hospital. The majority of the bonus funding for those is coming from medicare/medicaid. I have no idea what the goals of the organizations are other than reduce hospital admissions.

Seems to make sense that it is cheaper to preventively treat and keep a person out of a hospital than to wait to get them in the hospital where health resources are utilized at an outlandish rate. On the other hand, refusal to take medicare/medicaid will just crowd the emergency rooms of hospitals even more.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:59 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
I totally agree with this statement ^^^^^.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies